Tortugero Canal with Oscar Brown...

Senga

We did this tour March 25th and it was the highlight of our cruise. There were 14 of us and we got Oscar's sister Carol as our guide. Oscar was very busy that day and we were fortunate to get the beautiful bus and driver he hired. They were waiting for us on the pier as arranged and we went to a house (not included on the ship tour) where we were shown various local plants and had the opportunity to see a sloth up close. We then went to the banana plantation and the canal. The best part was visiting an animal sanctuary (not included on the ship tour) where we got to hold a baby monkey and pet/feed parrots, toucans, macaws and puppies. We got to sample fresh bananas and mango. We also went to El Faro restaurant where the food and view was wonderful (not included on the ship tour). I highly recommend the two-fruit chicken which is a chicken breast cooked in a mango and starfruit sauce. The rice with octopus, squid, shrimp and shellfish was also a hit. The cost for 5, including non-alcoholic beverages, was $41 U.S. The tour cost was $45 p/p compared to $86 p/p with the ship and we got far more for our money. Also included was complimentary beer, water and juices. Highly recommended. Oscar's contact information is: cbrown@costarricense.cr

• 2 weeks later...

We did the same tour with Oscar and had a great time. After many cruises and many tours by locals, he was our best.

Apparently we pulled into port an hour early and he was there already, standing right at the head of the pier with a sign (small dry erase board) that said "I am Oscar B.". I was a bit hesistant as he reported there was an Oscar B imposter, and it was early (we weren't to meet him for 2 hours), but Karol came up and I told her my first name and she responded with my last name and asked if all 4 of us were ready. He put us right on a bus with his sister, Karol. I don't know what would have happened if we waited until the time we had set up to meet him, as he got on the other bus that left with us.

We had a great time and if we go back I would book another tour with him without hesistation.

I think his time on the canal is shorter than the cruise ship tour, but it was plently long enough. Once you see one sloth hanging in a tree and a pair of croc eyes, they are all kinda the same. The other places he takes you more than make up for it.

I never thought the Banana Plantation would be a good stop, but it was pretty neat. The "Animal Sancutary" was really cool too...basically a "mini" zoo where they let you interact with all the native animals.

Since it is a common question, here is his e-mail:

cbrown@costarricense.cr

I have to agree that Oscar's tour was great! He was on the pier as promised with our names. We met him at 8:50 AM, ship time. Costa Rica was one hour behind ship time. So, he actually was at the pier early. Some others in our tour had been at the pier at 8AM ship time and he arrived shortly thereafter. I can't stress enough what a great guide he was! We saw howler monkeys in their native habitat, and Oscar got them howling for us! He also stopped to show us a sloth in the wild. The stop at the banana platation was surprisingly interesting to us. On the canal portiion of the tour we saw crocs, many different water fowl, Jesus Chirst lizards(have seen on National Geographic), monkeys, iguanas, bats, sloth and many colorful butterflies. Oscar had a cooler with water, soda and beer. We spent a long time at the wildlife refuge, sampling native small bananas, so sweet, playing with the baby monkeys, holding the macaw, trying fresh coconut and admiring all the beautiful birds. There was a toucan uncaged who would fly right up close to us. There were so many colorful orchids there also. Just a great place for animal lovers. We did not stop at the cafe, as none of us wanted to eat(again!). Oscar stopped at a market in town so we could purchase coffee. It was $2.50 per pound. The ship was advertising Panama coffee for $12 per pound! This was the highlight of our cruise! Oscar is so personable and so happy to show you his beautiful country.

Saw oscar on the 25th along with Senga- she got lucky and went with carol who had to save the day at the end of a nightmarish tou to almonds and coral ziplineing- we had no airconditioning in a tiny van and we drove over an hour and a half in the humid costa rica heat! He split up our family at one point lying to us and saying we would all be together, when in fact he had shipped half of us off to the canals and half to the restaurant.(which was great and had a nice view by the way)Carol was great and I would Highly recommend her tour to the cruise ones we saw- the boats and guides ahe used were far superior- smaller and easier to manuever- the cruise boats were huge and couldnt get as close and personal to the animals as we did. ANy questions please ask- I was really disappointed in oscar in particular afeter all the great things I had heard. Almonds and corals was great however - just not with oscar try to book through them.:o

Archived