Dialing New York Numbers

Lyn Mc

Might seem a very dumb question but could someone let me know which of the numbers you dial when in New York for a New York phone number. We need to dial the car service when we get through customs at JFK and have their number but have never used a public phone in USA before. Do I dial all of the following digits (or leave off the '1'):

1 212 777-7777

1 800 777 8888

1 800 777 7777

Also, do I still need quarters for the '800' number?

Thank you,

Lyn

Might seem a very dumb question but could someone let me know which of the numbers you dial when in New York for a New York phone number. We need to dial the car service when we get through customs at JFK and have their number but have never used a public phone in USA before. Do I dial all of the following digits (or leave off the '1'):

1 212 777-7777

1 800 777 8888

1 800 777 7777

Also, do I still need quarters for the '800' number?

Thank you,

Lyn

I have used 1 800 777 7777 and 800 777 7777. don't know about quarters.

Quarters are not necessary when you place 1-800-xxxx calls.

Keith

From a pay phone, you still have to put money in the slot even to dial an 800 number. AND with 800 numbers from a pay phone, you have to dial the 1.

AND if you are using Dial 7 (the numbers posted belong to Dial 7), you can just go to the ground transportation desk and dial #34 and you will be connected to Dial 7 reservations. MAKE SURE you have your confirmation number. The cars are sitting in the cell phone lot about a mile from the airport so it shouldn't be long for pickup if they have all your flight info and a reservation. I don't know what airline you are flying but the ground transportation desk is well marked in the AA and international terminal.

From a pay phone, you still have to put money in the slot even to dial an 800 number. AND with 800 numbers from a pay phone, you have to dial the 1.

AND if you are using Dial 7 (the numbers posted belong to Dial 7), you can just go to the ground transportation desk and dial #34 and you will be connected to Dial 7 reservations. MAKE SURE you have your confirmation number. The cars are sitting in the cell phone lot about a mile from the airport so it shouldn't be long for pickup if they have all your flight info and a reservation. I don't know what airline you are flying but the ground transportation desk is well marked in the AA and international terminal.

not at the airport. Most NY state coin telephones allow you to dial an 800 number and 911 without depositing a quarter-in fact it may be a NY law...

My experience is the same as Smyer's. I did not need quarters to dial a 1-800 number from an airport payphone.

Keith

Lyn ~

I've never had to insert money (quarters) before dialing a toll-free number (a telephone number beginning with an 800 prefix) from a public pay phone.

I just tried a quick test dialing an 800 number from my home phone. The call went through when I included the initial 1, but didn't when I omitted the 1.

Most of the time, when I call a number I use frequently, I'm not even conscious of what numbers I'm dialing. Until a few years ago, you didn't have to dial the area code when dialing a number within your own area.

(Mind you, I still haven't gotten used to push-button phones. When I were a lad, we had to crank the phone to get an operator. Later, I eventually got used to the rotary dial. Now... What's an iphone???)

not at the airport. Most NY state coin telephones allow you to dial an 800 number and 911 without depositing a quarter-in fact it may be a NY law...

911-Yes INSIDE the airport-maybe I shot my mouth off too fast (I have a tendency to do that). BUT I know FOR A FACT that the pay phone over by the cell phone lot (off the Van Wyck by the North Cargo bays) you have to put a quarter in to dial our office 800 numbers. Otherwise, I have a whole bunch of drivers ripping off the company for VERY small amounts of money because they all turn in chits for the quarters they use to call the 3 800 numbers in our NY, MO and AZ offices. This also applies to most any other pay phone they use in the NYC area (although most have cell phones, sometimes the battery goes dead, they run out of minutes and then they have to do it the "old fashioned way" and find a pay phone).

911-Yes INSIDE the airport-maybe I shot my mouth off too fast (I have a tendency to do that). BUT I know FOR A FACT that the pay phone over by the cell phone lot (off the Van Wyck by the North Cargo bays) you have to put a quarter in to dial our office 800 numbers. Otherwise, I have a whole bunch of drivers ripping off the company for VERY small amounts of money because they all turn in chits for the quarters they use to call the 3 800 numbers in our NY, MO and AZ offices. This also applies to most any other pay phone they use in the NYC area (although most have cell phones, sometimes the battery goes dead, they run out of minutes and then they have to do it the "old fashioned way" and find a pay phone).

there are two types of coin operated telephones. One placed by NY Telephone and the other by various private companies. The NY Tel phones all are dial tone without putting in a quarter. No coin needed for a 800 call. the others require a quarter to 50 cents before a dial tone. But I though once you dial a 800 number the coins are returned- but that I am not sure of. I know for sure that the ones at all the port authority airports(which are all three in the NY area) use one that are dial tone without a coin....

well at least they don't call 1800 collect....

there are two types of coin operated telephones. One placed by NY Telephone and the other by various private companies. The NY Tel phones all are dial tone without putting in a quarter. No coin needed for a 800 call. the others require a quarter to 50 cents before a dial tone. But I though once you dial a 800 number the coins are returned- but that I am not sure of. I know for sure that the ones at all the port authority airports(which are all three in the NY area) use one that are dial tone without a coin....

All I know is that when I used my calling card for so many years at the airport that I would dial 1-800-xxxx and never put any money in the phone.

I don't think I did that in Manhattan either but I just can't remember since now we use cell phones.

Keith

All I know is that when I used my calling card for so many years at the airport that I would dial 1-800-xxxx and never put any money in the phone.

I don't think I did that in Manhattan either but I just can't remember since now we use cell phones.

Keith

I can't remember how long its been since I used a street telephone. I use them at the airport to get the car park company to come if I don't have a cell phone on me. On the streets of NY I used to use them for the fact that the PSC mandated that 411 was free. Once that was stopped and I had a cell phone, I use the cell phone. On the Subway I occasionally use the coin operated ones since my cell won't work. They cost a quarter to call home but I don't use them for 800 numbers although I am sure you can dial 911 from them without a coin.

btw apropos of nothing do you know who pays the most for phone service?

State prisoners who MUST call collect. the recipient are charged outrageous amounts some of which goes to maintain the prison....

I can't remember how long its been since I used a street telephone. I use them at the airport to get the car park company to come if I don't have a cell phone on me. On the streets of NY I used to use them for the fact that the PSC mandated that 411 was free. Once that was stopped and I had a cell phone, I use the cell phone. On the Subway I occasionally use the coin operated ones since my cell won't work. They cost a quarter to call home but I don't use them for 800 numbers although I am sure you can dial 911 from them without a coin.

btw apropos of nothing do you know who pays the most for phone service?

State prisoners who MUST call collect. the recipient are charged outrageous amounts some of which goes to maintain the prison....

You are 100% right.

In my former life I worked for a very large telecommunications company and one of the services we provided was payphone services to prisons (it was awards on a state by state basis) and it was quite lucrative for the reason you mentioned.

Keith

You guys are great, thanks so much for all the information. Yes you are right, we are booked with Dial 7 car service.

We are coming into terminal 3 on Virgin Atlantic. I'll look out for the signs for the 'ground transportation desk' and I will have my reservation number ready. If I can't find it, at least I will now know what numbers to dial from the pay phones.

Thanks again for all your help (I now don't feel half as dumb as I did before I posted!!!!!!!)

Lyn

Archived