NCL CONFISCATING ALCOHOL ON DOCK SIDE

lesleyfb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SecondMate:
Hi, guys,

For those who find it impossible to go without alcohol for the 30 minutes to an hour it takes to get showered and spiffed up for dinner, you do know that room service delivers drinks, right? Failing that, you could grab a drink at the bar and carry it back to your cabin. People walk around the ship with drinks all the time, so what's the difference?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was a little harsh [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I think you miss the point. Many of us cruise on NCL because of freestyle. Freestyle is all about choices. I choose to spend hundreds more to have a balcony to relax on and enjoy the cruise.

Calling room service and waiting 30 minutes for a refill at sunset is not what I choose to do. Marching up or down 3 decks and balancing 4 glasses is not what I chooose to do. Besides we may not want to get dressed to go to the bar or answer the door for room service. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

I understand the liability concerns and more importantly the $ concerns of NCL. I will continue to break the rules. I have my whole life and often it has worked out to my advantage.

Seaward 1/89,Southward II 1/91,Windward 10/93,
Norway 3/94,4/96
Dreamward 4/97
Dream 12/99
QE2 4/02
Carnival Spirit 7/02
NCL Sun 10/03
NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

No Clock = No Next Cruise

Sorry! Didn't realize you were having multiple drinks in your cabin each night before dinner. My suggestion would work for those people who keep it to one predinner drink, though: grab a drink on your way back to shower and dress if you don't wait to wait a few minutes for room service to bring one.

By the way, I interpret "freestyle" as freedom to eat when and where I want, and to dress as I wish, within tasteful limits. I never thought of it as meaning "freedom to break the clearly stated rules for my own comfort."

I wondered how long it would take for someone to imply that there was something a little wrong with someone 'needing' a drink in their room.
Yes it is 'the rules' but why. There are many things in 'the rules' that are there so the line can invoke it in special circumstances. Apparently a line could cancel every cruise if it wanted as long as it refunded your money and you wouldn't have legal recourse, it's "in the rules". But, if a cruise line did this very frequently most people would choose to book elsewhere. Just about all cruise lines have a no outside liquor clause in their fine print, but few choose to apply it as assiduously as NCL seems to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SecondMate:
Sorry! Didn't realize you were having multiple drinks in your cabin each night before dinner. My suggestion would work for those people who keep it to one predinner drink, though: grab a drink on your way back to shower and dress if you don't wait to wait a few minutes for room service to bring one.

By the way, I interpret "freestyle" as freedom to eat when and where I want, and to dress as I wish, within tasteful limits. I never thought of it as meaning "freedom to break the clearly stated rules for my own comfort."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SecondMate

They are "da rules" not laws. And yes I broke them and will continue to do so. They are in place for one prime reason 'revenue per passenger" hidden behind a liabilty mask. When you sell cabins for 400 pp a cruiseline has to make it up somewhere.

As long as my violation of "da Rules" harms nobody and does not effect your cruise. No harm no foul. It is all about being responsible. I am sure you have breoken "da rules" more importantly the law. You never put a towel on a chair to save it? That's against "da rules". Tell me you never drove 56 mph in a 55.

I have cruised on NCL for 15 years anduntil the last year or so a single bottle or a few of your favorite wine were no issue. I collect wine and would bring all my wine for the week, pay the corkage, and share them with the staff. Reasonable change is something we all have to except.

Yes I believe I can break unreasonable rules for my own enjoyment as long as nobody else is harmed. I am not harming NCL's bottom line with 4 NCL cruises in 12 months.

Norway 3/94,4/96
Dreamward 4/97
Dream 12/99
QE2 4/02
Carnival Spirit 7/02
NCL Sun 10/03
NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

Posting form a different computer and missing 2 posts 1 Cecelia 1 mine.

Another twist is that on this trip, because of US source, many product fruit included were illegal to import into europe. So was NCL checking bags on the way off the ship for packed lunches etc. NO way, just the alcohol check on the way back on board.

insidecabin:

Searching for foreign produce is the responsibility of the customs in the ports of the countries you visit. If they are lax, it is the fault of that particular country, not NCL. To compare this to alcohol seizures is simply inappropriate. One is a POLICY, the other is a LAW of the country designed to protect agriculture.

Try bringing a piece of fruit off the ship in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale... you'll be extremely disappointed. It won't be the NCL staff inspecting you, it will be US Customs and they are very serious about it. Other countries may be less alert about it, but Miami and Lauderdale have a hightened sense of alert about produce being brought into the US. Most of the dogs you see in Miami's terminals are not there for drugs or bombs, they are there to sniff fruit and produce people try to bring home from foregin ports or from the ship.

Alcohol policies are becoming similiar across every cruise line especially since they are consolidating these days. Despite what anyone thinks is the real reason behind these policies, the fact is, they have existed for years on NCL, and it's not going to change. Personally, I can't relate to having the need to have alcohol in my cabin, but I don't criticize those who do feel that need. I just think there are more appropriate ways that are available to you if you ask. Having a good relationship with your cabin steward can reap wonders. Tipping him off to the fact that you like an afternoon cocktail before you go to dinner (and tipping is the operative phrase here) each night might result in your drinks being delivered without your asking. There's always a charge, but if you're already spending a couple of thousand on a great vacation, why nickel and dime the one or two cocktails before dinner each night?

Those of you who enjoy wine ... also... not a problem on board ship. Buy a couple bottles the first night at dinner... open one, take the other along with what you have left over of the first one back to your room. You are allowed to do so. Yes, the prices include a premium on all their wines, but once again, it's not more than the corkage fee you'll pay on the wine you bring from home anyway. They actually have a decent wine package program on NCL (buy 5 bottles get 6th free or something like that), so why not take advantage of it?

If you feel there are other cruise lines that have more relaxed policies about alcohol, please investigate them and come back and tell us all about it. For those who feel it is the prime factor in choosing a cruise line will appreciate the info. Personally, I do not place that much importance on it, but that's just me.

Cliff

Carnival Holiday November 2001
Norwegian Sky 11/4/2002
Norwegian Sky 11/11/2002
Norwegian Wind 10/11/2003
Norwegian Dawn 12/14/2003
Norwegian Sun 02/08/2004

Sigh.....

I love how the ritual of having a pre-dinner drink in one's room while on vacation (which I'm sure is just that, a nice little "I'm on vacation" ritual rather than an everyday occurence and a "need") has morphed into a warning sign for entry into AA.

I don't cruise with dh, but when we're on vacation and having a pre-dinner drink and showering for dinner, we might also likely be engaging in activity that would truly be disrupted by room service, know what I mean? Has it crossed anyone's minds that people are relaxing and want privacy, and don't want anyone knocking on their door with room service?

No tagline, on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

I didn't know that about the fruit, Cliff. I guess I never paid that close attention to who's looking at what. When I'm cruising, one man in a starched white uniform with badges looks a lot like any other to me, which is not particularly perceptive or cautious of me. On land, I'd look a lot more closely. Vacation mindset...

We seem to have covered the multiple options for having drinks in one's room without smuggling them aboard: calling room service; carrying a drink back from the bar as you head back to your cabin; or buying unopened wine, a helmet of beer bottles or a bottle of spirits from NCL. Other than that, everyone's comments pretty much speak for themselves. I'm movin' on...

The point I made in my missing post is that is down to expectations many of us feel that the cruise is bringing together many aspect of a traditional vacation. We would not expect to be able to bring alcohol to a bar or restaurant without permission(corkage) but do expect to be able to take it to our hotel room. I know they don't but what if they said you cannot bring your own shampoo you must buy it from the SPA.

We know the policies are in place on a lot of lines but NCL have been particularly keen to enforce on this trip. NO problems on any of the my 5 trips last year with RCI,Fred Olsen, Cunard and Sun cruises.
The NCL wine package was not available on this european run and the wine prices were very high by european standards, significanly higher than normal cost +corkage so we did not drink as much wine as we would have done and tended to drink beer, not a great choice, but ok price wise when bought by the bucket with the discount. I think they went from 6for5 to 5for4 to try and boost sales since the bars were always very quiet.
I would be happy buying stuff on the ship if the prices were reasonable $50ish for a bottle of spirit for room consumption is way too high should be nearer $15.
I am on the Black Watch this weekend so will be able to report back on the current Fred Olsen policy first hand next week.

By keeping a keen eye on prices for cruise and onboard spending we can usually pay for an extra week cruising each year so it is not nickle and diming it is BIGGEST BANG for the BUCK. Same reason we take cheaper cabins inside if necessary.

Hello Everyone. Just a few comments, I'll try to be brief..

The rules are the are the rules.. If you want to try to break the rules then go for it, but you won't have my shoulder to cry on if you get caught.

1. Bringing Alchol On Board is against the passenger contract.

2. If you want liqour you can buy it from ncl ahead of time and have it placed in your room.

3. If you don't agree with the above two rules then maybe its time to try a land vacation or hunt for a cruise line that allows you to bring alcohol on board.

4. Read the brochures before booking a cruise. This is all stated plain as day.

Chris Connolly

Dawn 1/25/04
Golden Princess 1/4/03
Star 1/24/02
Norway 01,00,99,98

I tried a post a get out but it's gone so I will try another in responce to Chris.

We all know rules are rules but some rules get enforced more than others.
On this trip NCL played tough with the alcohol rules but not for example with under age in the bars at night and there were others. Off topic are most of the other "rules" ignored by cruise lines.
The point we are making is some of us don't like this rule and will use it in determining our vacation choices, not top of the list but in there somewhere we maby a small minority but we will spend our cruise $ or £ somewhere. If this sticks bye bye

[This message was edited by insidecabin on 04-29-04 at 06:25 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ninafromct:
Sigh.....

I love how the ritual of having a pre-dinner drink in one's room while on vacation (which I'm sure is just that, a nice little "I'm on vacation" ritual rather than an everyday occurence and a "need") has morphed into a warning sign for entry into AA.

I don't cruise with dh, but when we're on vacation and having a pre-dinner drink and showering for dinner, we might also likely be engaging in activity that would truly be disrupted by room service, know what I mean? Has it crossed anyone's minds that people are relaxing and want privacy, and don't want anyone knocking on their door with room service?

No tagline, on the grounds that it may incriminate me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nina

For once I think you and I are on the same page [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Chris

As usual I agree with your post. I understand I am breaking the rules and I am not looking for any shoulder to cry on.

Norway 3/94,4/96
Dreamward 4/97
Dream 12/99
QE2 4/02
Carnival Spirit 7/02
NCL Sun 10/03
NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

I will probably sneak a bit of tequila and vodka on board. Otherwise, I predict a huge bill at the end, and we're already stretched to the limit. It's kind of similar to when I go to Manhattan, we often drink here in Jersey first, or sneak in drinks - (for example, went to see Bob Dylan last year and the watered down drinks at the theater were $10 each!!! Can't remember which theater - Town Hall?) Anyway, I would be perfectly willing to buy a bottle on the ship if the price weren't outrageous - but I've heard that a bottle of rum or something goes for $55!!!!!! It's raping people on prices like that that drives people to sneak alcohol on board.

For everyone's edification - I did a little research on NCL's wine list. I put an asterisk next to the ones I feel are the best values based on rating vs amount markup - you'll notice that they do a much bigger markup on the least expensive wines, so the more expensive ones are usually actually a better deal. If a wine is left off, it's because I could not find any information on that wine at Wine Spectator or any of the other wine rating sites. I did not do this for white wines because I rarely drink whites.

NAME - RATING - REAL PRICE - NCL PRICE
CABERNET SAUVIGNON
Robert Mondavi Coastal - 82- $13 - $27.50
Wente Livermore Valley - 82 - $11 - $28.75
Nebaum-Cappola Claret - 82 - $14 - $35.65
St. Francis - 84 - $15 - $31.05
*Chateau Ste. Michelle - 88 - $15 - $33.35
*Bighorn Cellars - 90 - $38 - $40.25
*Sylvester Kiara Reserve - 83 - $14 - $25.30
Kendall-Jackson Vintners Reserve - 82 - $15 - $32.30
MERLOT
Fetzer Eagle Peak - 82 - $9 - $27.60
Robert Mondavi Coastal - 83 - $11 - $28.75
Meridian - 84 - $11 - $29.90
*Wente Crane Ridge - 84 - $18 - $33.35
Columbia Crest Grand Estates - 86 - $11 - $32.20
*Benziger - 84 - $19 - $37.95
*Swanson - 88 - $30 - $54.05
PINOT NOIR
Berlinger Founders Reserve - 84 - $10 - $29.90
Robert Mondavi - 82 - $13 - $34.50
ZINFANDEL
Ravenswood Vintners Blend - 84 - $8 - $27.60
Rancho Zabaco Heritage Vines - 83 - $12 - $31.05
OTHER
Petite Sirah, Conconnon - 83 - $17 - $31.05
*Barbera, La Famiglia - 86 - $40 - $36.80
Syrah, Valley of the Moon - 87 - $20 - $33.35
FRENCH
Beaujolais-Villages, Louis Jadot - 81 - $7 - $26.45
Merlot, J.P. Chenet - 80 - $9 - $20.70
*Cotes-du-Rhone, M. Chapoutier - 84 - $13 - $27.60
ITALIAN
*Valpolicela Bertani - 85 - $15 - $29.90
Bardolina, Bolla - 85 - $9 - $28.75
Chianti, Colli - 80 - $7 - $27.60
*Barola, Stefano Farina - 89 - $30 - $43.70
*Amarone, Sartori - 87 - $31 - $52.90
SPANISH
*Torres Sangre de Toro - 84 - $13 - $27.60
Marques de Caceres - 83 - $13 - $29.90
AUSTRALIAN
Cabernet Sauvignon Yellow Label Wolf Blass - 86 - $14 - $28.75
*Cabernet-Merlot, Greg Norman - 89 - $17 - $32.20
Shiraz Billi Billi, Mount Langhi - 87 - $19 - $36.80
CHILEAN
Cabernet Sauvignon, Caliterra - 82 - $9 - $25.30
Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva, Santa Rita - 86 - $12 - $29.90
*Merlot Marques de Casa, Concha y Toro - 90 - $14 - $27.60

Leaving on Sunday - Cheers!!!

VoodooDali. A great job on the wine list. I know I will be using it the next cruise I take with NCL. It's great to see someone who has a solution and not a problem. You are a better man than I.

Carnival's Ecstasy (New Years 2002)
NCL's Pride of Aloha ( Inaugural- June 2004)

You may bring any soft drink aboard without any difficulty or hassle.

Cliff

Norwegian Sky 11/4/2002
Norwegian Sky 11/11/2002
Norwegian Sun 02/08/2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cactgurl:
I've requested brochures by calling NCL directly and ordering online, however, I've never received them. How can I review the brochures if I can't get them in the first place??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose there are no travel agents near you? No AAA office? You obviously have a computer, so the NCL website is available to you... and the policy is clearly defined there as well.

I also have had no problems gettting brochures via NCL's web site... I received the new Mexican Riveria one recently from NCL on request.

Cliff

Norwegian Sky 11/4/2002
Norwegian Sky 11/11/2002
Norwegian Sun 02/08/2004

Very observant of you to see that I have a computer...

I've seen the policy online. Just annoyed that I can't get any info from NCL when we are cruising with another couple that live 3,000 miles away that do not have access to computers like I do. I had planned on bringing the brochures with me when visiting them at the end of this month as we were interested in bringing alcohol with us. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Wanted them to see that it's just not worth the hassle. Sure would have been fun to look over the brochures together though!

Wow, this board certainly has emotion!

We gave up on NCL after having our wine taken from us in Miami last year. I come in here to read some posts and see if there is any information about the S/S Norway, as I love that ship.

Vote with your dollars is my feeling. I see very few posts in other cruise line chat rooms that talk about this issue as much as NCL's.

I wrote NCL a 4 page letter explaining my view of their policy after what had happened to us on The Norway in March 2003 and I basicaly got a response that said "Take a hike!" Only in many wore words. My Travel Agent even was laughing when I sent him a copy of it!

So we did :-)

We all work hard and look forward to a well earned holiday free from all this.....

Bon Voyage to all that have an up coming cruise!

Sovereign Of The Seas 5/95
Celebration 2/96
Norway 11/96 11/97 10/98 10/99
Norway 10/00 03/02 02/03
Imagination 2/97 3/99
Sensation 3/00
Nordic Empress 6/01 9/03
Carnival Spirit 11/01
Carnival Pride 11/02
Carnival Conquest 11/04
Carnival Victory 3/04

It *is* NCL's published policy, so passengers really have no legal leg to stand on if it is enforced and they get caught.

You will find this basic policy in place on most mass-market lines, what differs is the level of enforcement. Carnival tends to look the other way when you bring it aboard in your luggage. When carrying it aboard in port, you are *supposed* to turn it in to Security. How attentive they are differs from moment to moment.

[B]Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas[/B]
[img]http://members.aol.com/guitarzen/detroit100.gif[/img]
Eleven cruises so far. Up next:
Shhhh, it's a surprise!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
And then:
Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Perhaps something else in the works as well. Watch this space.
[I]Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.[/I]

I was on the Sun last October, and when my suitcase that contained the contraband did not show up with the rest of the luggage, I just handed the room steward a 10, and told him one of my cases was not there. He brought it to me about 10 minutes later, contraband intact. I had a respectable bar tab on that cruise, but really enjoy having a beverage on the balcony before dinner and the last thing at night.

Till two weeks on the Golden Princess!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;2;6;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Archived