Hey Cigar Dude!!

hookedoncruises12

There is a total ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. Traveler, including purchases at duty-free shops. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, United Kingdom, or Mexico.

Might want to be careful with those cigars..From http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/restricted/cuban_cigars.xml

Might want to be careful with those cigars..From http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/restricted/cuban_cigars.xml

Oh wow, thanks for the link. I'm pretty sure everyone knows they are illegal to bring back, unless they've been living in a hole for the past 70 years.

OP--I've never had any problems, if you are worried just remove the bands. There are places called Casa de Habana all over the carrib that are reputable so you don't get ripped off by the numberous fakes.

In the Western Caribbean, which is the best place to buy Cuban cigars that are genuine ? Appreciate all your info cuz DH loves his cigars.

Unless you are purchasing your Cuban cigars from "Habanos" also known as "Le Casa del Habano," the odds are very good the cigars are fakes. At one time it was possible to identify a fake Cuban by the band or the box. Unfortunately, technology has allowed the fakes to look as good as the non-fakes.

If you are purchasing "Cubans" from a street vendor or individual, the odds are they are fake. If the price of the cigar is less than $20 per stick for a robusto or larger, it is probably a fake.

Save the money, save the worry... smoke a Dominican or Nicaraguan (sp?.) At one time only Cuban's scored in the upper 90s (Cigar Aficionado.) Today, many non-Cuban brands outscore the Cubans. Unless your palate and nose are that good, save the money........

Unless you are purchasing your Cuban cigars from "Habanos" also known as "Le Casa del Habano," the odds are very good the cigars are fakes. At one time it was possible to identify a fake Cuban by the band or the box. Unfortunately, technology has allowed the fakes to look as good as the non-fakes.

If you are purchasing "Cubans" from a street vendor or individual, the odds are they are fake. If the price of the cigar is less than $20 per stick for a robusto or larger, it is probably a fake.

Save the money, save the worry... smoke a Dominican or Nicaraguan (sp?.) At one time only Cuban's scored in the upper 90s (Cigar Aficionado.) Today, many non-Cuban brands outscore the Cubans. Unless your palate and nose are that good, save the money........

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the restrictions on bringing Cubans back to the USA. I was asking for DH so he can have a good cigar on the ship.

On your Legend sailing there will be 3 LCDH's. Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Cozumel. Note that the Roatan one could be closed if there isn't a ship docked at Coxen Hole. ( Carnival uses Mohgany Bay ). There is also a cigar shop in Grand Cayman that is not a LCDH but does have real cubans. It is in the port area right across from where the tenders drop you off. It's name is Churchill's. I have bought a few there and they were legit. They will be about the same price as the LCDH but may have a different selection.

On your Legend sailing there will be 3 LCDH's. Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Cozumel. Note that the Roatan one could be closed if there isn't a ship docked at Coxen Hole. ( Carnival uses Mohgany Bay ). There is also a cigar shop in Grand Cayman that is not a LCDH but does have real cubans. It is in the port area right across from where the tenders drop you off. It's name is Churchill's. I have bought a few there and they were legit. They will be about the same price as the LCDH but may have a different selection.

I bought Parategas at Churchills, seemed legit, glad to know it.

Id stick to the LCDH in Georgetown GC. The price will be a bit high but you know for sure they will be legit.

I don't think there is a real cuban cigar in all of Jamaica. :D And buying them in Mexico always gives me the shivers.

And unfortunately even for a trained eye its tough to spot a fake.

And I believe it has been pointed out even buying them and smoking them off-shore is technically breaking the law so just FYI.

Russell

Techincally if you're a US citizen, you're banned from purchasing or smoking them even if it's outside the US.

Not saying you shouldn't, just laying some of the fact as I know them out there.

And I'd agree, Cubans are certainly a novelty but don't necesarilly stand out more than others.

Still waiting for Cigar Dude to chime in, but considering that he'd be admitting publicly to an act banned by the government, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Id stick to the LCDH in Georgetown GC. The price will be a bit high but you know for sure they will be legit.

I don't think there is a real cuban cigar in all of Jamaica. :D And buying them in Mexico always gives me the shivers.

And unfortunately even for a trained eye its tough to spot a fake.

And I believe it has been pointed out even buying them and smoking them off-shore is technically breaking the law so just FYI.

Russell

I don't buy anything smokable in Jamaica:)

I've attached a price list that gives a reasonable idea of what you can expect to pay for habanos. It is not for all locations but is fairly close for all except Cozumel. Cozumel tends to be the highest prices in the Carib and they don't bargain on the prices per box very much.

A very nice lady in Marigot , St. Martin sends her LCDH pricelist if you are wondering where I got the prices. The others are available on the WWW.

St._Martin_LCDH_price_list(ADK)-12_Oct_11.pdf

I've attached a price list that gives a reasonable idea of what you can expect to pay for habanos. It is not for all locations but is fairly close for all except Cozumel. Cozumel tends to be the highest prices in the Carib and they don't bargain on the prices per box very much.

A very nice lady in Marigot , St. Martin sends her LCDH pricelist if you are wondering where I got the prices. The others are available on the WWW.

Yo--thanks for that pricelist Catman!

Techincally if you're a US citizen, you're banned from purchasing or smoking them even if it's outside the US.

Not saying you shouldn't, just laying some of the fact as I know them out there.

And I'd agree, Cubans are certainly a novelty but don't necesarilly stand out more than others.

Still waiting for Cigar Dude to chime in, but considering that he'd be admitting publicly to an act banned by the government, I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm not cigar dude, but yes, if I can smoke a Cuban while away, I will absolutely do so.

I just remove all the bands. No way to know where the cigars come from.

I don't even do that. I just throw them in my checked luggage. But ya, without bands there is no proving where they came from, good as gold. I don't understand why people freak out about it.

Ok, we all know that no one would willingly break any US law, so we'll dispense with all that verbage. The cigars anyone buys in the Caribbean are clearly not illegal. :rolleyes:

At any rate...

Cozumel has an LCDH and it's very nice.

Grand Cayman has an LCDH and it too is very nice and well stocked.

Roatan has one at the "old" dock, which Carnival does not regularly use anymore. You will probably dock at Mohagny Bay. It's a 20 minute ride over to the other dock. If there is a ship in dock on the day you're there the LCDH will be open. We were there in September and no ship was at the old dock (which is now a new dock facility with shops everywhere) and the LCDH was closed.

Cancun has one and it's fantastic.

Play del Carmen has one but I have not been there.

Belize has no LCDH so don't even look there.

The Bahamas don't have one either. Go to Graycliff Hotel and get some good cigars that are not Cuban but they're good...and expensive!

Jamaica does not have an LCDH. Lots of fakes there.

That should help you.

BTW, and LCDH is a La Casa del Habano, which are fanchise shops through the Cuban government. You can be assured you're getting the real deal there. Only shop at those shops!

Ok, we all know that no one would willingly break any US law, so we'll dispense with all that verbage. The cigars anyone buys in the Caribbean are clearly not illegal. :rolleyes:

At any rate...

Cozumel has an LCDH and it's very nice.

Grand Cayman has an LCDH and it too is very nice and well stocked.

Roatan has one at the "old" dock, which Carnival does not regularly use anymore. You will probably dock at Mohagny Bay. It's a 20 minute ride over to the other dock. If there is a ship in dock on the day you're there the LCDH will be open. We were there in September and no ship was at the old dock (which is now a new dock facility with shops everywhere) and the LCDH was closed.

Cancun has one and it's fantastic.

Play del Carmen has one but I have not been there.

Belize has no LCDH so don't even look there.

The Bahamas don't have one either. Go to Graycliff Hotel and get some good cigars that are not Cuban but they're good...and expensive!

Jamaica does not have an LCDH. Lots of fakes there.

That should help you.

BTW, and LCDH is a La Casa del Habano, which are fanchise shops through the Cuban government. You can be assured you're getting the real deal there. Only shop at those shops!

Cigar Dude you are the MAN! Thanks so much for all the valuable info. Would love to bring you back one. What's your preference?

I've built a list of reputable dealer around the Carib, see the attached list. Cigar Dude usually hangs around the thread called Cigar Aficiandos if you want to get ahold of him. It may take a day or 2 but he usually answers.

Thank you so much for the lists. I have already printed them out and will take them with us on the cruise. :)

As a bit of a connected offside..........Cuban cigars are legal in Canada, where I live. I've often wondered if we could get nailed for carrying them THROUGH the US on our way home to Canada. Our customs form on the ship only asks us to declare anything that will be left in the US; nothing about what we're importing to Canada.

Just an off thought.........does anybody know?

As a bit of a connected offside..........Cuban cigars are legal in Canada, where I live. I've often wondered if we could get nailed for carrying them THROUGH the US on our way home to Canada. Our customs form on the ship only asks us to declare anything that will be left in the US; nothing about what we're importing to Canada.

I hate to give a none answer but it is the best I have. I read on some threads Canadians can in their stowed luggage (not carry-on) but you have to declare them once you get into Canada and pay any duties. On other threads, I've read you can't. I suggest you query our Customs website. I think it's under the Dept of Treasury .gov and you may have to look around for it. If I find the URL address, I'll post it.

It isn't a Customs issue it is a trade issue.

It is illegal to bring Cuban cigars into the U.S. even if you are transporting them through.

Just buy them here. For one thing they are cheaper, Caribbean pricing is aimed at the U.S. tourists.

It isn't a Customs issue it is a trade issue.

It is illegal to bring Cuban cigars into the U.S. even if you are transporting them through.

Just buy them here. For one thing they are cheaper, Caribbean pricing is aimed at the U.S. tourists.

That's what I thought, and that's what my husband does.......unless he buys them at the factory in Cuba. It was just one of those pesky points I've always wondered about.

Cigar Dude you are the MAN! Thanks so much for all the valuable info. Would love to bring you back one. What's your preference?

Thanks but not necessary. Go and have fun! If you get by the Cozumel LCDH tell Michael I said hello.

If you click the link below in my signature (at bottom of page) entitled Legend cruise from this September and scroll through it you'll see the LCDH's I visited on this visit. Among them are the Cozumel and Grand Cayman LCDH.

Archived