Gem Concierge Call

mistybaby

Hands-down one of (what I consider) the dumbest responses I have ever received from NCL. We will be traveling on the Gem with in-laws, our reservations our linkied but we booked through different travel agents. In-laws are in a penthouse, we are in an OS. In-laws have had numerous contacts with the concierge desk prior to sailing, we have had none. I called today to inquire why not and was informed that my reservation was done under a group booking (must have been how our TA booked the cabin, as we are not part of a group) - so we were not entitled to such service...have to say I am a little surprised and disappointed by the blatant lack of customer service

Hands-down one of (what I consider) the dumbest responses I have ever received from NCL. We will be traveling on the Gem with in-laws, our reservations our linkied but we booked through different travel agents. In-laws are in a penthouse, we are in an OS. In-laws have had numerous contacts with the concierge desk prior to sailing, we have had none. I called today to inquire why not and was informed that my reservation was done under a group booking (must have been how our TA booked the cabin, as we are not part of a group) - so we were not entitled to such service...have to say I am a little surprised and disappointed by the blatant lack of customer service

We leave on Sunday and have not been contacted either. We have 3 penthouses and one 2 bed (SC) booked--- no one got a call. I agree, do it for all suites or none. Makes no sense.

The advance contact is something new, and based on responses here, hit and miss.

As to group booking - yes, those things get treated differently. Most if not all communication goes through the group, not directly to passengers.

This has been an on and off thing for sometime now. Most of the calls are from the Gem but a few in other suites on other ships have also gotten calls.

Some believe Gem is a test ship for a fleet wide program about to be incorporated. Some believe it is a service offered by a particular concierge making their upcoming guests feel important. No one seems to know for sure why some get calls and others haven't. And not all the one's who haven't have been booked as a group but directly through NCL.

Keep in mind I have no real idea nor I have I stayed in a suite or booked in a group. Just my thoughts.

First off if you were talking to just the call in center at NCL, they are like any other call in centers for large corporations. If you happen to speak to a long time employee you may get a real answer, otherwise if it isn't on their computer screen, they will either guess or not know. So the information you received from NCL may or may not be correct.

Secondly using logic (at least mine). A person will accept a lower price from a TA not realizing that pretty well the only reason a TA can offer a lower than NCL is a group booking apparently. The down side to that is now you are considered part of a "group".

Now in the real world (not NCL, because who knows how theirs work) if a private group booked something, then they would have a group leader. That group leader would be responsible for passing on all information to the rest of the party as well as be the liason between the group and the company providing the service. In that light what they told you made perfect sense.

As stated this is just my input, no factual information.

This has been an on and off thing for sometime now. Most of the calls are from the Gem but a few in other suites on other ships have also gotten calls.

Some believe Gem is a test ship for a fleet wide program about to be incorporated. Some believe it is a service offered by a particular concierge making their upcoming guests feel important. No one seems to know for sure why some get calls and others haven't. And not all the one's who haven't have been booked as a group but directly through NCL.

Keep in mind I have no real idea nor I have I stayed in a suite or booked in a group. Just my thoughts.

First off if you were talking to just the call in center at NCL, they are like any other call in centers for large corporations. If you happen to speak to a long time employee you may get a real answer, otherwise if it isn't on their computer screen, they will either guess or not know. So the information you received from NCL may or may not be correct.

Secondly using logic (at least mine). A person will accept a lower price from a TA not realizing that pretty well the only reason a TA can offer a lower than NCL is a group booking apparently. The down side to that is now you are considered part of a "group".

Now in the real world (not NCL, because who knows how theirs work) if a private group booked something, then they would have a group leader. That group leader would be responsible for passing on all information to the rest of the party as well as be the liason between the group and the company providing the service. In that light what they told you made perfect sense.

As stated this is just my input, no factual information.

I spoke to the concierge representative that had reached out to my in-laws, so there was hopefully a little more knowledge there. He informed me groups simply do not get contacted at all. So someone who spends a lot of $$$$ does not get the same services? I thought I was booking a suite (a higher category that my in-laws in fact) and did not realize I might lose out on services because I booked through a TA. If that is the case, NCL must be clearer.

I spoke to the concierge representative that had reached out to my in-laws, so there was hopefully a little more knowledge there. He informed me groups simply do not get contacted at all. So someone who spends a lot of $$$$ does not get the same services? I thought I was booking a suite (a higher category that my in-laws in fact) and did not realize I might lose out on services because I booked through a TA. If that is the case, NCL must be clearer.

The conceirge call thing is new and I doubt it will be around much longer because it has not been a great success.

David will be your concierge and Frank is his assistant. It is my guess that Frank is the point person for the pre-boarding emails. I did not recieve my pre-boarding e-mail either. They will be fabulous and will make sure you are taken care of once you board. If you are interested in expediting the process have a little list of the things you need in your hand when you get to the terminal. Do the same list for your butler.

Thousands of people have sailed in suites without this new and not well thought out system and they have had an outstanding time.

You will as well if you would calm down and try not to feel like you are being shafted.

Actually I did describe in my post why I felt it was probably logical through a group. Outside of NCL all group bookings I know of deal that way - through the group leader only.

As for the one that should have been clearer, I believe that should have been your TA. If your TA was going to book you "in a group" they should have been upfront with this information, not lead you to believe that they were cutting you a deal because they were a nice guy. (Your original post claims you did not even know you were in a group - TA error) They should also have been knowledgeable and informed you what that meant. Sorry I don't believe NCL deserves that blame.

Now in saying that, since NCL's group bookings are not huge like the ones I refer to in the real world. I don't think it would have hurt to have the consierge call 10 more people. But again that is just my opinion and no one is really sure even if this concierge call is their own call or policy sent down from corporate.

The conceirge call thing is new and I doubt it will be around much longer because it has not been a great success.

David will be your concierge and Frank is his assistant. It is my guess that Frank is the point person for the pre-boarding emails. I did not recieve my pre-boarding e-mail either. They will be fabulous and will make sure you are taken care of once you board. If you are interested in expediting the process have a little list of the things you need in your hand when you get to the terminal. Do the same list for your butler.

Thousands of people have sailed in suites without this new and not well thought out system and they have had an outstanding time.

You will as well if you would calm down and try not to feel like you are being shafted.

with all due respect, I have traveled in suites on ncl before and am also platinum on the line - but I value my time and money and don't like being made to feel like a second class citizen because of the way I booked. as someone aptly said above - ncl needs to be uniform in this process or else they are going to be peeve people off - that is what customer service is all about.

as someone aptly said above - ncl needs to be uniform in this process or else they are going to be peeve people off - that is what customer service is all about.

If you truly believe this then you should be pleased. Since you are not made the exception and they followed their group policy and treated you as they treat any other group, which is communicate everything through the group leader. There you have consistency.

What I was proposing above was perhaps they should have made you an exception since I didn't feel the numbers were overly big.

I was hoping they would roll this out fleetwide but if I didn't get a call I wouldn't get upset about it. Frankly I don't know where I want to eat or when yet and probably still won't 2 days before my cruise. As for pillows, unless I felt them I wouldn't be able to pick. I'll sample the ones in the room and if I don't like them I'll ask for a change.

Although I understand your frustration, I wouldn't let it get to you.

I did get the concierge call and the only thing that was set up as I specified was the 3 bottles of liquor, soda types and the number of pillows (2 each). The pillow selections, reading wedges, and extra blanket were not there. These aren't even concierge related items but butler related, and I actually didn't care or even bother to have it corrected. In any event the butler stopped by after I boarded asked me about mixers, if the liquor selections were okay, if any other soda types were needed, and explained the coffee machine. By the time we returned after lunch all was there, so the phone call is really not necessary.

I agree that this is frustrating, and even though it originated as a TA issue, I can't imagine why someone at NCL can't make the connection when the suite passenger actually reaches out to them seeking the service that has been provided to others. Other lines provide this service for their concierge-level guests, and I assume NCL was trying to match their competition in contacting them, as they should. While some people like to make up their minds on the spur of the moment, others like to embark with plans in hand, and having the concierge make those arrangements ahead of time is what many suite-level passengers expect because they've had that experience on other ships. When I sailed NCL for the first time last year, in a DOS, I was quite frustrated with the limited pre-cruise service-- I initially doubted my PCC when she said that there was no 800-number for suite passengers to make arrangements!! I like to know what we are doing and when, and that my important plans have been made. This said, once we were onboard everything was fantastic and I discovered that I could have made almost any plans I wanted to through the concierge at that point.... so OP, I know it's frustrating, but please don't worry, I am sure you will have a fantastic cruise and that you will get everything you are hoping for!! We had such a great time that we are going again in a few months!!

If you truly believe this then you should be pleased. Since you are not made the exception and they followed their group policy and treated you as they treat any other group, which is communicate everything through the group leader. There you have consistency....

I agree with this poster.

The person that was with a group, but wanted to be treated as NOT being in a group is wrong. Part of the group process is that everything goes through the group leader/facilitator, etc.

Geez. Let it go.

I agree with this poster.

The person that was with a group, but wanted to be treated as NOT being in a group is wrong. Part of the group process is that everything goes through the group leader/facilitator, etc.

Geez. Let it go.

Assuming the suite here was booked through a group (which it wasnt), under your logic, once on board, does the concierge have to speak through the group leader to a suite passenger?

Anyway, i think op's point was that ncl's response made no sense and that regardless, NCL should distinguish between the kinds of communications that go through group leaders/ta's and those that should be direct to the passenger (and not to be snobby, but especially high paying ones).

Finally, seems like NCL messed up in being overly nice to one part of a family and then ignoring the relatives in a linked reservation high cat suite that are not part of a "real" group such as a club, big family, etc versus a group of seperate reservations lumped together by a single ta.

Sounds like the old adage "No good deed goes unpunished". The concierge is reaching out early and misses someone, now they're angry. How about don't expect it, and if it happens, great, if not, so be it.

I'm in the OS Jan 1st, and will not be bent if I don't get a call. It wasn't part of the deal I signed onto.

NCL has been pretty consistent in how they treat guests that book through a TA, even to the point there is a special prompt when you call in for guests booking through TA's. People use the TA's and brag on this board and others of how much better deal they got, OBC's, wine, gifts etc. But when the other side of the coin is shown, they get upset. NCL does not deal directly with guest booking with TA's. They do their transactions through the TA. If the OP has an issue, and it's a big if, it is with the TA.

TA's give a lower price by booking "groups" or buying numbers of rooms. It is up to the TA to tell the guest if there are "special" arrangements regarding their trip. NCL certainly can't tell guests they are losing out by booking with a TA, so what are they to do. Give a TA guest the same thing as other guests but still allowing them to get a break on price or gifts, can't have it both ways. I'm betting the OP got some breaks on this trip over what they would have paid/received from NCL and now want more?

NCL has been pretty consistent in how they treat guests that book through a TA, even to the point there is a special prompt when you call in for guests booking through TA's. People use the TA's and brag on this board and others of how much better deal they got, OBC's, wine, gifts etc. But when the other side of the coin is shown, they get upset. NCL does not deal directly with guest booking with TA's. They do their transactions through the TA. If the OP has an issue, and it's a big if, it is with the TA.

TA's give a lower price by booking "groups" or buying numbers of rooms. It is up to the TA to tell the guest if there are "special" arrangements regarding their trip. NCL certainly can't tell guests they are losing out by booking with a TA, so what are they to do. Give a TA guest the same thing as other guests but still allowing them to get a break on price or gifts, can't have it both ways. I'm betting the OP got some breaks on this trip over what they would have paid/received from NCL and now want more?

That may be true with respect to booking issues, but shouldn't carry through to service. Does a first class pax on a plane not get to cut the security line, or get less drinks bc he or she used a ta or miles? I also think in this case op paid more than the other bc op is in os and relative in penthouse.

That may be true with respect to booking issues, but shouldn't carry through to service. Does a first class pax on a plane not get to cut the security line, or get less drinks bc he or she used a ta or miles? I also think in this case op paid more than the other bc op is in os and relative in penthouse.

Sorry, this is not a very good analogy. The OP will still get all of the suite perks, such as priority check in, liquor and soda etc.

To the OP (mistybaby), what did your travel agent say? Did they contact NCL and make your precruise requests for you?

Sorry, this is not a very good analogy. The OP will still get all of the suite perks, such as priority check in, liquor and soda etc.

To the OP (mistybaby), what did your travel agent say? Did they contact NCL and make your precruise requests for you?

You have made my point for me. Having the concierge contact you ahead of time to take your preferences is a perk that op is entitled to.

I also think in this case op paid more than the other bc op is in os and relative in penthouse.

Actually the poster wrote "I'm betting the OP got some breaks on this trip over what they would have paid/received from NCL". They did not say that the OP got their OS cheaper than relatives in the Penhouse. And if they didn't get a break on what they would have paid through NCL, I'd say the OP has bigger complaints than a phone call. Considering it is obvious by the OP's own admission that the TA booked them as part of a group and you can bet the TA got a cheaper rate.

You have made my point for me. Having the concierge contact you ahead of time to take your preferences is a perk that op is entitled to.

Having the concierge contact you is not part of NCL's promised perks, therefore the OP is not entitled to this. This is a complimentary addition that some have and some haven't received and yes on the same sailing. It just happens that the OP knows another suite passenger in person that has received this and because they probably paid more for their suite, their nose seems to be out of joint. Search CC's threads and you will find a ton of "got a call from the concierge" threads where 1/2 the posters say "I got one" and 1/2 say "I didn't get one".

Check out

http://www.nclsuitesandvillas.com/pages/suitesvillasmore.php

You will not find anywhere that NCL promises a pre-boarding phone call from the consierge.

op here - I was debating whether to post or not as I have been a littler turned off how folks seem to overly negate or put down a post for even a slight critique of ncl. my cruise is not ruined, I had an observation that yes, did not shout good practices to me but overall, we happen to like ncl (and, in fact, are platinum on the line) as well as other lines.

my initial post was intended to note how silly ncl's response to me was when I was the one reaching out to them (notably, the response should have been, sorry for the oversight, we were just contacting those passengers that booked X way, but of course, how can I help you) and to highlight what I view as a flaw in their customer service. others may disagree with this as ncl could do no wrong in their eyes, but I as a customer feel this was simply not thought out well by ncl and their response to me showed even more lack of customer sense.

op here - I was debating whether to post or not as I have been a littler turned off how folks seem to overly negate or put down a post for even a slight critique of ncl. my cruise is not ruined, I had an observation that yes, did not shout good practices to me but overall, we happen to like ncl (and, in fact, are platinum on the line) as well as other lines.

my initial post was intended to note how silly ncl's response to me was when I was the one reaching out to them (notably, the response should have been, sorry for the oversight, we were just contacting those passengers that booked X way, but of course, how can I help you) and to highlight what I view as a flaw in their customer service. others may disagree with this as ncl could do no wrong in their eyes, but I as a customer feel this was simply not thought out well by ncl and their response to me showed even more lack of customer sense.

You are more than welcome to have your opinion on here and there are those that do agree with you and those that don't. That has absolutely nothing to do with believing "NCL can do no wrong". That has to do with how people logic things out, think or believe things should happen.

Only suites that have access to the haven now receive calls. if your suite can not access the courtyard villas then you will have no call. A group has nothing to do with it as I am in a group in a courtyard penthouse and received a card and call.

Archived