Car rental ports

sportsmum

Are there any ports where you don't have to rent a car? Which ports are absolute musts to have one?

We are on POA and will rent a car one day on Maui for sure- looking for a private Hana tour (suggestions??:)) for the other. What about the other islands? Do you need cars or can you walk off and get to the town easily?

We've been to Hawaii a few times but always as a land vacation so this is new to me!

Are there any ports where you don't have to rent a car? Which ports are absolute musts to have one?

We are on POA and will rent a car one day on Maui for sure- looking for a private Hana tour (suggestions??:)) for the other. What about the other islands? Do you need cars or can you walk off and get to the town easily?

We've been to Hawaii a few times but always as a land vacation so this is new to me!

You'll be best with rental cars in all ports & since you've taken land vacations know about any potential traffic issues. If you were going to Lahaina you could get by without a car or even in Hilo if you only wanted to walk around the small town. However the best places to visit require a car or a tour. The Bus ($2.50/pp) is an option on Oahu which goes all around the island.

I just came back from a cruise on the Pride of America, and the only port that we didn't rent a car on was Kona. Since we were there for such a short time, and shopping etc... was close by. I think you are much better off by renting a car on the islands, as they're easy to access and actually affordable.

I recently blogged about my experience onboard the POA at www.travelvulture.com if you're interested.

Archived