With So Many "Sweet" Choices....Help Me Select type of "Suite" on Dawn

aqualojoy

I need some help from the "Suite Folks" here. I have decided to take the plunge and upgrade from a balcony to a true suite on the Dawn. I am having a time trying to figure out which category to go for.

There are three of us traveling. My husband, our 17 year old son and me. We tend to spend a great deal of time together in the room and on the balcony. During our past cruises, we enjoyed being together since we have such crazy schedules when home. Enjoy reading in the room and balcony; watching movies on laptop and just being around each other.

The last NCL cruise that my husband and I were on was 17 years ago when I was pregnant with our son. (Norway--Sky Suite)

On our last Carnival cruise, we had a true aft balcony--no corner.

Here are my choices....All of these abbreviations have my head spinning. Which category would you select and why?

SD (Family Suite with Balcony) 12th floor

SE (Penthouse with Large Balcony) 10th Floor Forward

SF (Aft Penthouse with Large Balcony) 9th Floor Corner (9732) or 10th floor (10728)

I need some help from the "Suite Folks" here. I have decided to take the plunge and upgrade from a balcony to a true suite on the Dawn. I am having a time trying to figure out which category to go for.

There are three of us traveling. My husband, our 17 year old son and me. We tend to spend a great deal of time together in the room and on the balcony. During our past cruises, we enjoyed being together since we have such crazy schedules when home. Enjoy reading in the room and balcony; watching movies on laptop and just being around each other.

The last NCL cruise that my husband and I were on was 17 years ago when I was pregnant with our son. (Norway--Sky Suite)

On our last Carnival cruise, we had a true aft balcony--no corner.

Here are my choices....All of these abbreviations have my head spinning. Which category would you select and why?

SD (Family Suite with Balcony) 12th floor

SE (Penthouse with Large Balcony) 10th Floor Forward

SF (Aft Penthouse with Large Balcony) 9th Floor Corner (9732) or 10th floor (10728)

The SE and SF are very nice but for 3 people may be a bit tight, we were in this with our 15 year old son and he slept on the pull out couch but there is no real privacy and it can be tight for 3. The 2 Bedroom Family Suite with the smaller bedroom for your son would be way more comfortable.;)

The SE and SF are very nice but for 3 people may be a bit tight, we were in this with our 15 year old son and he slept on the pull out couch but there is no real privacy and it can be tight for 3. The 2 Bedroom Family Suite with the smaller bedroom for your son would be way more comfortable.;)

Unfortunately, 2-Bedroom Family Suite with Balcony is not an option. I cannot justify the $1,800 price difference for it. The SD, SE, and SF are within $400. Suggestions between the SD, SE, AND SF, please?

I take it you have your heart set on a balcony, otherwise I would suggest the SJ because the murphy bed is much more comfortable than the pullout.

Between the three you are considering, I would suggest the Deck 12 for several reasons: more space in the cabin. The outdoors is right upstairs, including the forward hot tub. Or the pool is just down the hall.

The bathroom is much more spacious than the SE and SF bathroom. One person can take a shower while another is in the bathtub, two sinks, very nice!

The ceilings are higher, it is very noticeable. Much more spacious.

If you request a foam pad for the pull out, it is much more comfortable.

The privacy is amazing, considering it is just one room. There is a pocket door and curtain to completely isolate the master bedroom area!

I have been in the other layouts and they would feel cramped with three, IMHO.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think that the SD's on Deck 12 may work great for you if the SC's are not an option. From what I can tell, the Dawn SD's are different from the Star's SD's and do have the Murphy Bed available since many can sleep 6. The balcony looks great and does not cut into the room.

My vote is also for an SD -- we sailed in 12020 end of September and they are beautiful! And like a previous poster stated, there is a "wall" that pulls out between the master bed and couch, and a curtain that completely encloses that area. DS could sleep on the pull out couch or the murphy bed (I'll bet the murphy bed is more comfortable!). And the location can't be beat! Also very quiet!

You would probably be very unhappy in the penthouses. They are perfect and wonderful for TWO and my husband and I love them. However, if you like to 'hang out' in your cabin, three people [even if one were a small child] would be cramped. Originally those cabins were for 2 only. The aft cabins just got new 'chairs' within the last few months. Originally they were to be 'couches' and were advertised for four. However, there is only reasonable room for a oversized chair which is beautiful but uncomfortable to sit on.....and only sleeps one....and NOT a large one at that. The balconies aft are really NOT large. The forward balcony is HUGE...but it can be totally unusable when underway and is not covered. Depending on the cabin, you might have to have all lights off after dark so the bridge vision is not disturbed. There is little privacy on those decks. Having said that, we loved ours and we didn't care if anyone 'viewed' us....and we would lie out in total darkness and look at the stars which were amazing. The new Deck 12 cabins are, IMHO, spectacular....and not all have balconies...so I'd jump at one.

"Depending on the cabin, you might have to have all lights off after dark so the bridge vision is not disturbed."

This is incorrect. All cabins that might affect the bridge with light have heavy duty curtains that they 'may' require you to close after dark. They never require you to turn off your lights after dark.

"Depending on the cabin, you might have to have all lights off after dark so the bridge vision is not disturbed."

This is incorrect. All cabins that might affect the bridge with light have heavy duty curtains that they 'may' require you to close after dark. They never require you to turn off your lights after dark.

You do realize that that total part of the posters paragraph was speaking about their balcony?

The SD suite is great - I just sailed in one with my teen grandson. There is much more room than my previous favorite aft suites and the location is so convenient. Since you are balcony folks - ask about actual size of the specific suite balcony - some are considerably larger than others. I would also ask for one with a murphy bed - the sofa bed leaves a bit to be desired for comfort (maybe not a problem for most teens).

Teel you teen to check out the teen club - my grandson was busy with them day and night - he loved the cruise. :)

We are cruising on the Dawn in December and are booked in a SD category Suite. In researching the suite I came across a you tube video of an SJ category (same set up less the balcony) on the Star (the sister ship to the Dawn). I found it helpful in my decision.

Hopefully seeing it will help you in some way

One more vote for the SD cabin. We were in one of these at the end of September. These suites are brand new. They are very light, airy, and spacious. The floor to ceiling windows, along with the quite large balconies, make for a wonderful room. In addition, as someone above mentioned, there is a room partition that you can pull at night that goes by the side of the bed, and a curtain that pulls all the way around to meet the partition. While this doesn't provide total privacy, it does provide some. The balcony for these suites are MUCH LARGER than the balcony for the two bedroom suites. We have been in the two bedroom sutie and yes they are lovely, but I totally agree--the price is quite hefty. I know that we would be very comfortable in this suite with any one of our college age kids. There is both a murphy bed and a pull out couch. Most seem to think the murphy bed is most comfortable--but i would ahve your son test them both out and then request a mattress topper if they are not comfortable.

These suites provide ample room for three to dine, as well as for three to sit inside on the couch and chairs that look out the huge windows. And as noted before, the deck is large.

As we changed from an aft penthouse suite at the last minute (found out the dance club was below us), we went to look at the aft suite to see what we had missed--my husband was thrilled we had taken the SD family suite instead. The SD suties are so much larger and brighter and NEW!! The other thing that is great about the SD suites is their location. You walk out your door and can go directly to the pool deck within a few steps. You can also go up one level to a very quiet deck that has a hot tub that is rarely used by anyone--seems few people know about this area of the ship and it is steps from your room.

I cannot comment on the suite choices (we're trying out an SE for the first time next week!) but as the mom of 2 boys I LOVE that your family enjoys spending time together, even in close quarters. We feel the same way and I hope it continues when they are teens!

I cannot comment on the suite choices (we're trying out an SE for the first time next week!) but as the mom of 2 boys I LOVE that your family enjoys spending time together, even in close quarters. We feel the same way and I hope it continues when they are teens!

We are very lucky. Two wonderful sons. They are 14 years apart. Our oldest is 30. All of us went on our last cruise together. They had a room and hubby and I had a room. Oldest had just returned from deployment. Unfortunately, he is in a special school now and cannot travel with us on this trip.

I know you will enjoy your suite. Are your sons going with you?

Thank you everyone for your insight. Have decided to go with the SD-Family Suite with Balcony.

Now just have to decide which one

12030 (Balcony looks a little different)

I am going to make the change today.

I know you will enjoy your suite. Are your sons going with you?

Yes, they'll both be with us but one of them will be sleeping in his grandparents' suite next door since apparently the sofabeds which were sold as doubles are actually only singles.

I'm looking forward to enjoying the view from our forward balconies, let's just hope the wind doesn't blow us away!

Sounds like you made a great choice, enjoy!

Thank you everyone for your insight. Have decided to go with the SD-Family Suite with Balcony.

Now just have to decide which one

12030 (Balcony looks a little different)

We stayed in 12030 and the balcony is considerably smaller and irregular shaped not really large enough for 3 to use comfortably - ask for the specific sq footage of whichever you select.

When I booked I noticed there are some significant differences cabin to cabin and my TA went through them all with me and gave me the specific information on SQ footage for the room and balconies on each cabin. Just ask and they will help you find the best available suite!

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. It has been 17 years since I sailed on NCL's Norway. I was pregnant with the son we are bringing. I made a good cabin choice with all of your help and insight. We reserved one of the SD-Family Suites with Balcony with the regular shaped, larger balcony on 12.

My husband will enjoy having his breakfast and lunch in Cagneys and I look forward to being pampered. I have not told him about all of the perks.

MKsol - thanks for the numbers. I am happy to say they matched what my travel agent told me. I ended up reserving 12022 (I like the sound of it) twelve 0 twenty-two

welove2cruise232, do you have any photos you would be willing to share from 12020?

:)

MKsol - thanks for the numbers. I am happy to say they matched what my travel agent told me. I ended up reserving 12022 (I like the sound of it) twelve 0 twenty-two

welove2cruise232, do you have any photos you would be willing to share from 12020?

There is a wonderful review with lots of photos and great info done by mrclean1 for suite 12522 - same suite on opposite side of the ship. It is The "Suite" Life - Dawn Review 9/2/11 it was posted on 9/10. You'll love the Dawn - enjoy all the suite benefits.:)

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. It has been 17 years since I sailed on NCL's Norway. I was pregnant with the son we are bringing. I made a good cabin choice with all of your help and insight. We reserved one of the SD-Family Suites with Balcony with the regular shaped, larger balcony on 12.

My husband will enjoy having his breakfast and lunch in Cagneys and I look forward to being pampered. I have not told him about all of the perks.

I'm so excited for you! We were in an SJ on Star in September and loved the cabin. With a balcony, it would be absolutely perfect so I think the SD is a spectacular choice for your family. So much cabin for the price. Wishing you a fabulous trip.:)

Archived