Pre-existing condition?

39august

Am I correct that the exclusion of a pre-existing condition on travel insurance purchased after the 14 day limit is only in reference to the named insureds' medical condition? My husband and I had to cancel a cruise a few years ago because of his mother's heart condition. It certainly was "pre-existing" but we had no problem getting all our money refunded by our travel insurance since we were the insureds, not his mother.

Here's three plans with different definitions of who is included in the pre-existing condition exclusion:

#1 TravelSafe:

"Pre-Existing Condition" means any injury, sickness or condition (including any condition from which death ensues) of You, Your Traveling Companion, or Your or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member traveling with You . . . "

So if the family member is NOT traveling with you the exclusion does not apply.

#2 Access America"

"The following things if they affect you , a traveling companion or a family member , whether the family member is traveling with you or not:

• pre-existing medical conditions (unless you have pre-existing medical condition coverage) . . ."

#3 From Travel Insured:

"(s) PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION:

The Insurer will not pay for any loss or expense incurred as the result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition of an Insured, Traveling Companion, Business Partner, or Family Member which . . . "

In this case it's not clear so you should probably assume the exclusion DOES apply to non-traveling family members until you find out from the insurer otherwise.

I would caution you not to make any assumptions. You need to read the plan carefully and not all the plans are the same. This is too important an issue to just rely on those from this board and be aware that even the same plan changes so if someone give you information on a plan that they purchased it might not apply to the plan at the time you purchase it.

The devil is in the details.

Keith

Archived