Just Back Sillouette My Opinions

sallycruiser

I am not especially fond of lobster, can take it or leave it, but I know a lot of people love it and look forward to at least getting a rock lobster tail on formal night. So I am surprised that Celebrity has decided not to offer it in MDR. Even NCL, which probably has the lowest budget for all MDR's continues to offer it. This in itself may make Celebrity a deal-killer for some on the fence on which line to book...

Bob Brown, do you feel that way about all lobster or just rock lobster? I love Maine lobsters, but don't like the rock lobster they serve on a ship or elsewhere.

We just returned from the 11/6/2011 sailing and I have to agree with some of the posts and disagree with others.

A lot of people were disappointed that lobster tail was not served on the third formal night but otherwise we felt that the food was extremely good. Bistro on 5 was great also. Very fillings for a $5 service charge but well worth the money. We celebrated a friend's birthday at the Tuscan Grille. Again the food was great. The service at all the restaurants was very good.

The shows: We did go to the majority of the shows. The comedians were great and we laughed until we cried. The one show we did not go to was like a slapstick comedy. We were not interested in it at all, so cannot give a review. Not every show is going to be for everyone, that is a given. I found Silhouette the Show, interesting. I do not expect Broadway quality of any cruise shows on any line but look at it as just entertainment for one to enjoy if one so wishes.

I have to agree with the scooter problems. There seem to be more and more of them on ships and none of the lines have taken this into consideration. I may need one some day and I hope to hell that I am not as rude as some people were. I also agree with the poster who stated that there is a feeling of entitlement by some of the handicapped people with scooters and walkers. Some feel like they do not have to wait in line like all of the other passengars and the words "excuse me" have been lost from their vocabulary.

All in all it was a good cruise, with wonderful friends and good service from everyone that we dealt with. The captain was great and so was Paul, the cruise director.

What sailing are you on, WOW? I will be in Sky Suite #2123 on the Jan 5th sailing

Scapino - We are just off the 11/6 sailing in 2127. I think you will be lucky enough to get the same cabin crew team that we got. Butler - Jesus, Room Steward - Elvis, and Asst Steward - John. They took excellent care of us and I can't tell you how much I miss them right now.

Did you happen to meet my bf Rory? He is also a piano player on board. The last night of that cruise, Paul (CD), Sara Story (vocalist), and Rory (pianist) played a little set in the grand foyer...said it was a nice turn out!

Yes, I did met Rory. He told us about his telephone interview & hiring. We mentioned that we have been reading his blogs with great inteterest & he was thrilled to hear that. He told us that you were on the ship a couple of days before & we told him that we read your posts too. I asked if you will be part of the band soon & he was unsure. He said he was having a great time onboard & is sometimes surprised that this is an actual job because its so much fun. He is happy that he will be home for XMAS & then back on in Feb. if he gets rehired.

We said our goodbyes on the last day when he & Paul had their show in the foyer. I had to wait in line because so many people were congratulating him on the show. He was like the Mayor of the lobby! Needless to say, I thought he was a doll.

Regarding wheel chairs and scooters - aside from blocking aisles they also create a problem with elevators. That is why I am surprised that the newer ships do not have more elevators to alleviate this situation. I think it is wonderful that disabled people have the opportunity to do many things that they couldn't do years ago, but many of them don't even realize it because they don't know what life was like for disabled people years ago. There was a time when insurance didn't cover wheel chairs and most disabled people couldn't afford to buy one.

Bob Brown, do you feel that way about all lobster or just rock lobster? I love Maine lobsters, but don't like the rock lobster they serve on a ship or elsewhere.

While Maine lobster is considerably better, let me put it this way....

If I had to choose between a large Maine lobster, and a Prime dry-aged Porterhouse steak---that would be no contest...I'd choose the steak...:)

I do need to comment on this thread. I have cruised many times, and I thank the the Lord I am not wheel chair bound, however Celebrity does attract the more mature crowd. After saying this I will continue. Because of the more mature crowd many of the more mature cruisers don't require an electric chair but cannot get up and down the stairs. When it is time for meals I see many of these unchaired people unable to get on the elevator.

What I think should happen is to designate a certain bank of elevators for the electric chairs so that others can ride the elevators up to the buffet or down to the MDR during meal times. This will also help the chair bound get to where they need to be because there will the be room for two or three chairs on each elevator.

Please let me know what you think.

There were ALOT of old people on this cruise but it didnt bother me nor did their wheelchairs, walkers or canes. Even the old people comented on the amount of old people. lol What bugged the heck out of me are people that get into the elevator & just stand at the door blocking the way while deciding what button to push. I especially got ticked off at the guy who rode one floor & coughed on everbody. Most of ther older ones we sat with were pretty interesting & quite funny. We expected an older crowd but at least older people from the tri- state area are a feisty group even while armed with canes & scooters.

Did you happen to meet my bf Rory? He is also a piano player on board. The last night of that cruise, Paul (CD), Sara Story (vocalist), and Rory (pianist) played a little set in the grand foyer...said it was a nice turn out!

There wasn't a seat to be had so we sat in the wine cellar and listened. It was a wonderful performance.

Here is Rory performing, along with some other members of the entertainment staff. Thanks Derf5585 for recording for me! :)

(I will admit that this makes me miss him quite a bit...!)

OK - I'm hooked! I have been reading Rory's blogs and hope that he will re-sign with Celebrity so that I can see him on my Jan. 29 cruise. Please let me know!

Marilyn

A couple of thoughts about some of the posts. Being "stuffy" becuase we leave (or do not even attend) the productions shows is quite a comment. We attend many production shows, walk out of quite a few..and enjoy others. But it is not about stuffy...it is about seeing the same shows too many times (we cruise an awful lot).

Hank

If you don't like the cruise production shows, why do you keep Attending?? Are you doing your best to make a statement and Walk Out in the middle of the show??

Perhaps trying to embarrass the audience, the performers, or just doing your best to show Everyone your a Stuffy and a Square ??

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Here is Rory performing, along with some other members of the entertainment staff. Thanks Derf5585 for recording for me! :)

Fantastic! Love both the piano playing and the gorgeous singing.

Can someone tell me when something like this is offered on a Celebrity cruise? Looks like everyone is casually dressed so I'm guessing daytime.

And isn't it a crime that this incredibly talented people aren't on Broadway????

Standing behind him in the first clip are my tablemates...Fran and Tony!

What sailing are you on, WOW? I will be in Sky Suite #2123 on the Jan 5th sailing

I was in 2117...Great cabin. Lots of storage and a great Butler, Jesus. Being on the 12th deck was so convienent. The pools are very close and the ocean view cafe is right overhead. Not much noise at all from there. The Aqua Spa and fitness center is across the deck and the walking track one flight up. Great location!!!!! Loved that suite. The best location in all of my cruises!

Fantastic! Love both the piano playing and the gorgeous singing.

Can someone tell me when something like this is offered on a Celebrity cruise? Looks like everyone is casually dressed so I'm guessing daytime.

And isn't it a crime that this incredibly talented people aren't on Broadway????

Yup! These were done during the day...to my knowledge, except for the Big Band show...that is an evening event.

Since cruise critic is a place for people to express their opinions about any aspect of a cruise, I think it is totally inappropriate for anyone associated with Celebrity to insult people for their opinion.

Thank you for perfectly saying what I (and probably many others) was thinking.

We are on the 11/30 sailing, could you tell us what debarkation was like? When I registered on Celebrity, they told me my approximate debarkation time was 2pm. I really can't believe this; I just want to let our limo company know what time they should be there, or approx. time. Thanks so much in advance for any input!

We've cruised out of Bayonne 4 times and live in CT. We always drive and park at the pier. The latest we ever got off the ship is 10:00 AM. This last time (October, 2011) we got off the ship at 8:55 AM. It usually takes 20-30 minutes from the time you get off the ship, go to the terminal, get your luggage and go through customs and immigration.

Now, having said that the cruise BEFORE ours was late getting in and people were just getting off the ship at 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM. But I'm sure you should be off around 9-10 unless something happens out of the ordinary. We saw all the limo and car service people lined up on the side of the road going into the terminal waiting to pick up people.

Boy did you bring back memories. We sailed on the Homelines Homeric for our honeymoon back in 1964. Didn't sail again until I retired in 2006 and then went to Alaska. Have been getting in at least one cruise per year ever since. Now its off Nov 30.

Rory & Pauls performance was in the afternoon during a raging rainstorm. Everybody was very casual because they were packing & the ship was tossing & turning a bit. We could not go outside because it was raining & freezing out so most of us just roamed around in half summer clother & half winter clothes.

At the end of a cruise everybody dresses alot more casual than in the beginning, for some reason.

There were ALOT of old people on this cruise but it didnt bother me nor did their wheelchairs, walkers or canes. Even the old people comented on the amount of old people. lol What bugged the heck out of me are people that get into the elevator & just stand at the door blocking the way while deciding what button to push. I especially got ticked off at the guy who rode one floor & coughed on everbody. Most of ther older ones we sat with were pretty interesting & quite funny. We expected an older crowd but at least older people from the tri- state area are a feisty group even while armed with canes & scooters.

good post. we will all b old one day and therefore have no probs with those that were on this cruise.

I think its nice that there is an environment where they feel comfortable (and able) to go without feeling that they are some sort of burden on society. There was plenty of room for everyone on this ship and if you had to wait a little while extra to get in or out of an elevator then so what, get over it, you should have paid more attention to where you where you were going instead of what was in you're way to getting there. IMO

I did'nt cough BTW

Archived