2 year old sleeping arrangements

gaylemh

Anyone have experience sailing with a 2 year old? My family is going on the Gem. My daughter, her husband and 2 year old will be in a mini suite. My grandson is still in a crib at home, and it's too dangerous for him to be in a pack and play. (He flips himself out head first).

Does the Gem have regular high side cribs? What do others do for sleeping arrangements for a 2 year old?

Thanks

The jewel had a mini-crib. I think the sides are about the same height as the pack and play but higher off the ground if flipped.

Maybe they could have the steward try and turn the couch around backwards toward the wall and have it made up like a bed. We did this on Carnival - and will attempt to do it on the pearl in a few weeks. Our Daughter is 3, so much older. She did great. And at naps and bedtime she was so tired she was out like a light in seconds.

The jewel had a mini-crib. I think the sides are about the same height as the pack and play but higher off the ground if flipped.

Maybe they could have the steward try and turn the couch around backwards toward the wall and have it made up like a bed. We did this on Carnival - and will attempt to do it on the pearl in a few weeks. Our Daughter is 3, so much older. She did great. And at naps and bedtime she was so tired she was out like a light in seconds.

Could you let me know if it is possible to turn the couch around on the Pearl.

That sounds like a great option, and wouldn't take up any floor space.

If you could take a picture that I could show my daughter, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

I don't have any pics of the couch turned around, but I have seen some before. If your grandson moves around a lot in his sleep he could crawl off the side. The parents may be able to put him in the crib right next to their bed, especially if they will wake up easily if he starts moving around. If your grandson is not alone he may be less likely to try and dive out of the crib.

We are fortunate and cosleep most of the time anyways, so DS will just sleep between DH & I.

I'm hoping my son co-operates and stays in the PNP this January, but if he doesn't we'll be trying the turned around couch trick. I don't really want him on the floor because he tends to move around a lot in his sleep so I have no idea where he'd end up or what kind of trouble he could get into...

My cousin has used a blow up travel bed with her 3YO that she says works relatively well. Could that be an option?

We have the PeaPod Plus travel tent for our 2.5 year old son and will be using it on our upcoming cruise. It packs flat and weighs almost nothing. We use a safety pin on the outside to keep the zipper closed to prevent escape. He loves it. We introduced it a few days before the first trip we wanted to use it on and told him from the beginning that it was his "sleeping tent" so that he's never see it as a toy or play tent. It uses regular crib sheets and has it's own inflatable mattress. Just another option to think about Although if the kid in question will stay put, the turned around couch seems like a good idea, too.

• 3 weeks later...
Could you let me know if it is possible to turn the couch around on the Pearl.

That sounds like a great option, and wouldn't take up any floor space.

If you could take a picture that I could show my daughter, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

So, I am back! It was an awesome vacation. The couch bed once pulled out was so close to the ground that we left it the way it was. So we did not have them turn the couch around. They could have and it would have worked too. She was knocked out from being in the sun all day and the 1000s of trips up the waterslide. She slept like a rock.

Archived