Anyone been to Coki beach lately?

TwinCruiserMom

I have not been to Coki beach for a few years and was wondering what the current conditions are in the area.

Are the new restrooms available and fairly clean?

Is the area cleaned up and a bit safer than it used to be? It was quite run down when we were there.

Do they have nice chairs and umbrellas to rent and if so, what is the cost?

Appreciate any up to date information you can give me.

You are going to get some differeing opinions on Coki. We have never been fans of the place..although it is where I taught my 5 year old daughter to snorkel (a long time ago). At one time they had some decent coral but much of it has been ruined by snorkelers who do not seem to understand the meaning of "DO NOT TOUCH." As to safety, in July 2010 a 14 year old girl (from a cruise ship) was shot and killed when she got caught in a cross-fire between two duggies. We understand the police have increased security in the area...but still prefer less populated beaches like Brewers, Morningstar or Saphire (although this place can get too crowded).

Hank

We were just there last week and drove over to Coral World one afternoon. We'd not been to that area before, and IMO, I would find another beach. I know a lot of people have gone to Coki and loved it, but it looked small to us (from the view we had at Coral World). Another thing that happened is we were stopped by a guy as we tried to enter Coral World. He told us there was nothing in Coral World to see and we should go to the beach. We mentioned this to the attendant at Coral World and she said they've been trying to get these guys to stop doing this (there were several of them). I thought the area around Coki was dicey and I'd not go to Coki. Our mistake was stopping and talking to the guy but he was practically in front of our car.

We had also heard about the girl being shot and even though twice about going to Coral World, but once we got past the road-block with those guys, it was fine.

Archived