Southqueensferry to Edinburgh

Trains are probably the quickest way to get to the centre of Edinburgh. The trains leave from Dalmeny station (but really part of South Queensferry) and arrive in the centre of Edinburgh in about 15 minutes or so. Not too sure where you would tender in to in SQF but the station is at the top of the hill so it would be a reasonable walk uphill. Possibly a taxi from the harbour to the station and then the train? There are buses which run between SQF and Edinburgh but I've never used these (I have used the train). Again there may be some distance between the harbour and the bus stop. Taxis would be more expensive and private cars just lead to frustration in the traffic and expensive parking.

Hope this helps.

Elcruzer, The website for the trains is http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/index.php. The trains run between Dalmeny and Edinburgh about every 10 or 20 minutes, Monday through Saturday – it looks like they’re a little further apart on Sundays. If you want to look at the entire timetable, it is train route #14, the times listed are valid through June 11th. The price per person for roundtrip travel is 9.30 GBP.

Standard day returns are 5.30 GBP. Cheap day returns are 3.10 GBP. Cheap day returns can be used all day on Saturdays and Sundays but with more restrictions during the week - leaving Dalmeny after 09:00 and leaving Edinburgh either before 16:30 or after 18:00 (i.e. outwith rush hour). Ticket price details can be found at the same website as provided earlier.

Although there is a ticket office at Dalmeny it is not always manned but you can purchase the tickets on the train. It is no longer possible to exit Waverley (very central) or Haymarket (west end) stations in Edinburgh without having purchased a ticket. If the ticket office at Dalmeny is closed and no-one appears to check/sell tickets on the train you will have to go to the ticket office on the platforms (platform 12 I think). Tickets can be purchased with cash, debit or credit cards. Not sure about travellers cheques.

There is an information screen on the platform so you can find out when to expect the next train.

On important piece of advice - you need to cross the footbridge to catch the train to Edinburgh. Otherwise you will cross the Forth Rail Bridge and journey into Fife.

:) Thanks to all. You guys are fantastic! Our ship will be in S. Queensferry on Thurs. and it looks as if the train runs pretty often so we should have no problem getting to Edinburgh to enjoy some of the festival and then back to the ship on time.

Oops, my notes for our upcoming cruise had the price of 9.30 GBP for that trip, but that's the total for the three of us traveling together (3.10 GBP cheap day returns times three). Apparently, I can't read my own notes! Sorry!

Mara

Mara, taking the train sounds even better now :D

We're taking the Golden Princess on Aug. 10. Hope you let us know how the train worked out, if you take it. Any other hints for other ports will also be appreciated.

Eleanor

• 1 month later...

This is great information, Calmac and Seaduo. This looks like the way to go, and the price is certainly right. We're there on a Sunday, so we'll be able to get the extra-cheap tickets. Do you recommend that we book them in advance, or will we definitely be able to get them on the train or at the station? I see that they can be booked online.

Also, where in Edinburgh is the train station? Is it within walking distance of the things we'll be wanting to see or will we need a taxi?

Thanks for all the great information!

If the ticket office is open at Dalmeny station - buy your tickets there. If the ticket office is closed which I think it is outside peak times then purchase your tickets on the train if the ticket collector/guard comes round. If neither of these options work then you will have to purchase your ticket in Edinburgh - otherwise you can't get out of the station!!

There are 2 stations in Edinburgh. The first you come to from Dalmeny (South Queensferry) is (Edinburgh) Haymarket. This is in the West End. For sightseeing I would stay on unitl (Edinburgh) Waverley. This is where the train terminates.

Waverley station is very central. If you head up either road this will take you to Waverley Bridge. If you turn right onto Waverley Bridge Princes Street is facing you. This is the main shopping (major department stores) street. There are shops on only one side of Princes Street - the other side is Princes Street Gardens - a lovely place to sit and have some lunch if the weather is good. If you are in Edinburgh during the Festival (August) there are usually musicians playing in the gardens (quality varies).

If you turn left onto Waverley Bridge then right at the end of it this takes you onto Market Street. If you go up Market Street then turn left onto The Mound and go up there you come to a crossroads. The road running at right angles to The Mound is High Street aka The Royal Mile. Edinburgh Castle is up the hill to your right, Holyrood Palace down the hill to your left.

Hop-on hop-off buses leave from Waverley Bridge (don't think you need to book in advance).

I think there is still a Tourist Information stand in Waverley Station where you can pick up leaflets etc and the station staff should be able to help out with any questions on how to get somewhere specific.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Scotland.

Calmac,

Just a little more help if possible please!

Once in Edinburgh, what is the best way to get to Leith to see Britannia? Bus, train, walk, taxi?

Thank you very much for the previous information.

I'll have to get back to you on the best way to Britannia. I would expect that local bus may be best as several go from Princes Street down Leith Walk but not sure of the numbers or of exactly where they go. I work beside someone from Leith so I'll ask him.

Where, near Southampton, do you live? I used to work at Mullards and then at Southern Gas and lived in Totton then Shirley Warren before moving to Trowbridge near Bath. After about 4 years I moved back to Scotland and have lived in Fife ever since.

I wasn't at work today (son ill) but this website is for the local Edinburgh buses

www.lothianbuses.co.uk

You want to search for Ocean Terminal (in Street or Place Name) which is where Britannia is berthed. Ocean Terminal is a shopping centre and has a few places where you can have something to eat or drink.

The buses take exact fare (don't have change available) but looking at the website the fare is either 80p or £1 each way. Not sure what it would be for Princes Street to Ocean Terminal.

The timetables are not particulary detailed on the website but if you look for info on the day ticket it mentions the travelshop on Waverley Bridge - someone there should be able to give you more detail on the route and price.

If the local buses sound a bit daunting then black cabs (taxis) are plentiful but not necessarily very cheap.

As you come out of Waverly station, there will be tour buses that go to Brittannia run by Lothian Region Transport - they will also do a combined ticket to include other sightseeing buses,

If you get time, go for a drink in the Hawes Inn South Queensferry. It is an original coaching inn and has memorabilia from the days when people used to stay over and rest their horses before taking a ferry over to Fife

Many thanks to both Calmac (hope your son is better by now) and to UKtog for the information. Really looking forward to our visit in July.

Calmac, we live on the Bournemouth/Christchurch side of the New Forest and have done for many, many years. It is a lovely part of the world and only about half an hour from Southampton, but dont venture there very often unless we are departing on a cruise! We did go to Mayflower Park to see the naming ceremony of Arcadia.

Sorry for the delay in replying - been having computer problems.

I think we will do as you have suggested. Train from S.Queensferry to Edinburgh, bus to Leith and then make our way back to Edinburgh for a look round (the castle) then train back to ship. Does that sound OK?

Again many thanks - and any other ideas or information you might have would be gratefully received!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Cupcake,

We, too (my daughter and I), will be visiting Edinburgh (from the Golden on the 19th) independently of the ship's tour package. Perhaps we can travel together or even share any taxis. Is there any other posters who are also planning on "independent" sightseeing on this cruise?

• 2 weeks later...

We're on the Golden Princess July 1-11, in port at SQF for Edinburgh on Saturday, July 9.... At lunchtime we're connecting with local area friends from a previous cruise who are taking us to Stirling Castle, etc.--but we'll be on our own in the morning. Can anyone tell us if it's possible to tour both Edinburgh Castle AND the Britannia in 3-1/2 hours or so (to meet our friends around 11:30-sh)??? Are there entry fees at the castle? (Holyrood will be closed during our tour. Does this mean the Queen might be in residence?) We'll be held up a bit getting off the ship as it's not docked but using tenders.... Should we use cabs, on-off bus, shuttle?

THANKS!!!!

I can answer some of your questions about Sat. 9th July but probably not all of them.

Yes, there is an entry fee to the Castle - Adult £9.80 Child £3.50 Concessions £7.50. The website is http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/properties_sites_detail?propertyID=PL_121

Holyrood Palace is closed due to the G8 Summit which is running from 6th - 8th July at Gleneagles. The Queen has postponed her summer trip to Scotland so will probably not be in residence.

The website for the Royal Yacht is http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/ and this includes information on how to get there.

I've yet to visit Britannia so don't know how long a typical tour would take. I have been to the Castle but not for a while. I think you could do both but it might be a bit rushed.

Where are you meeting your friends? If you are travelling by train from South Queensferry I would probably allow about 30 minutes each way for the combination of travel time and waiting for the next train!!

If you are planning to visit Stirling Castle in the afternoon perhaps you should consider only visiting Britannia to make your day feel less rushed.

I doubt you could pack in both the Britania and Edinburgh Castle in one morning, unless you just wanted to stand outside one or the other and not actually go in. We were on the first tender off the ship on the May 22 sailing and even with a short wait for the train into town, we didn't get to the castle until about 9:30, and then we had to wait until it opened at 10 to actually start touring. Add in travel time out to the Britania and you can start to see how you'd be pretty busy trying to see both in one morning.

Having sailed on the Golden Princess.......I think you'll find Britannia a bit of a let down....not as grand as may expect for a Royal Yacht! :(

I know I was suprised how basic it was in parts.....maybe the Royals never got to see those parts! ..hehehe!!! :)

But my DW does assure me the gift shop is interesting, if a bit pricey!

Alan

Thanks so much, dear CC friends, for your speedy and thoughtful and thorough responses! In my heart, I guest I knew it'd be pushing it to do BOTH--but you know how hope springs eternal when you're planning such a marvelous trip to places you've never been before....

Mary-Lou

(DrFUN)

Archived