If you have the time could you please look over my Alaskan Packing List?

BigZfan

I understood that the OP was only carrying on mixers and 2 bottles of champagne. He is getting Bon Voyage Rum-I am guessing pre ordering this as a gift to be delivered to the cabin from Carnival. The rum runners are used for mixing not to carry on illegal alcohol.

The OP included in the list:

Mr. and Mrs. T’s Bloody Mary Mix (24 – pack in check luggage for plane and transfer to carry-on for cruise

3 rum runners

small funnel

My understanding (assumption) is at least one of the rum runners will be used to bring Vodka but the OP doesn't want his list to turn into a debate over the ethics of bringing your own booze on board.

No other explanation is logical. I think it's a reach to think even one rum runner will be used to mix drinks made from Bon Voyage rum. No way they're bringing 3 empty rum runners for that purpose but nothing to mix with the bloody mary mix.

Too late to edit my post. I don't care if the OP wants to bring his own booze.

I'm not sure if he'll be able to pull it off. Posters in the Carnival forum suggest Carnival is doing a better job finding booze. Booze in "alternate" bottles such as mouthwash. Booze in rum runners. A passenger brings a case of mixers on board. Sounds reasonable to think the cruise line might want to further examine his luggage.

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading and learning quite a bit from the CC boards over the past few months as I have been planning our 1st cruise to Alaska. I have also asked a few questions and received some very great feedback.

One of the questions I asked on the board for 1st time cruisers was about a packing list. I received some great and some confusing feedback. From that feedback I did pair-down my list, but not as far as many people suggested. The common line was “fill up your suitcase and take half out.” That seems to be some of the most common advice given to anyone asking for packing advice on the CC boards. That may be great advice for some, but for a list person like me, it is completely useless. Many people suggested taking only 3 or 4 shirts for the 7 day cruise, but I don’t plan on doing laundry, and frankly I sweat and I don’t want to smell myself, much less have other people smell me from a mile away.

But also on the 1st time cruiser board people baulked at the idea of bringing a rain coat and waterproof hiking shoes, when I have read over and over again on the Alaskan board that those are must have items. Therefore, I thought I would try posting my updated list on the Alaska board to get some additional feedback. I understand that the list is rather long, and it most likely can be paired down, or else I wouldn’t be asking. However, I also don’t want to be one of the people that I am reading about that is running off of the ship to the nearest shop to buy additional layers because they didn’t pack for the weather.

I do believe that all of the items on the list can be packed in 2 large checked luggage and 2 carry-ons, as well as some obviously being worn on our persons. Here is some basic information about our plans during our cruise so you can kind of have an idea of what we are planning for. I am asking now, because there are some great sales coming up and it may be time to buy some great gifts for my husband and myself.

7-9 = Arrive in Seattle and go on a tour of Safe-co field

7-10 = Leave Seattle at 4:00pm

7-11 = Day at Sea – with renewal of wedding vows

6:30pm = Steakhouse Dinner

7-12 = Day at Sea with Tracy Arm Explorer Tour

7-13 = Skagway 7:00am - 9:00pm

8:15am = 3 hour tour on the White Pass & Yukon Railway

12:30pm = Chilkoot Trail Hiking and Rafting Adventure

7-14 = Juneau 7:00am - 3:00pm

7:30am = 4 hour whale watching tour with Harv and Marv

7-15 = Ketchikan 7:00am - 1:00pm

9:00am = 2.5 hour Flightseeing & Crab Feast

7-16 = Victoria, BC, Canada 7:30pm – Midnight (stay on ship)

7-17 = Seattle at 7:00am

Packing List for Alaska –

General

Airline tickets (2)

Baja Bob’s Powered Daiquiri mix (4)

Binoculars (1)

Bungee Cord (1)

Carnival cruise documents (2 sets)

Champagne (2 – pack in check luggage for plane and transfer to carry-on for cruise)

Clothes pins (4) (to hang up wet swimsuits)

Contact numbers to report lost/stolen credit cards (2 copies)

Corkscrew (1)

Digital Camera (2)

Disposable rain ponchos (2)

Extra AA batteries for the cameras and battery chargers (4)

Funnel (1) (small – to fill rum runners)

Highlighters (2)

Insulated large coffee mugs (2)

Kindle Fire (1)

Laptop (1)

LL. Bean travel bags (2) (to hold souvenirs we buy in port)

Memory Cards for the Camera’s (8 – 1 per day and to avoid losing all the photos if we lose the camera)

Mr. and Mrs. T’s Bloody Mary Mix (24 – pack in check luggage for plane and transfer to carry-on for cruise)

Night-light / battery powered tea candles (2)

Passports (2)

Pens (2)

Phone (1)

Playing Cards games (2 or 3)

Post-its (1)

Power strips (2)

Purex 3-in-1 laundry detergent strips (2 – in case of emergency and we have to do laundry, plus keeps clothes smelling fresh if you just place them in the drawer)

Reusable water bottles (6)

Rum runners (3) (empty – to be used to mix Bon Voyage rum with Baja Bob’s Daiquiri mix.)

Travel books on Alaska with maps (2)

Travel Clock (1)

Wallet (2) (driver’s license, medical insurance cards, credit cards, cash…)

Watch (2)

Zip loc bags of all sizes and garbage/laundry bags (15)

The Mrs.

Short sleeve shirts (2) (buy more as souvenirs and wear them if needed)

Under Armour long sleeve Cold Gear shirts (7)

Under Armour Cold Gear sweatshirt (1)

Under Armour Full Zip Cold Gear jacket (1)

Under Armour Cold Gear pants (2)

Under Armour All Weather pants (1)

Shorts (1)

Formal dress (1) (that I can wear my fancy crocs with)

Nice dresses/Outfits to wear to dinner (2) (that I can wear my fancy crocs with)

Scottevest – Pink (1)

Rain coat/pants (1)

Under Armour Cold Gear Gloves (1)

Hat (1)

Scarf (1)

Waterproof hiking shoes (2)

Fancy crocs (1 or 2)

Swimsuits (1)

Long underwear sets (3)

Nightgowns (3)

Socks, including some wool hiking socks (10)

Underwear (10)

Bras (3)

LL Bean hanging travel toiletry bag (1)

a. Shampoo

b. Conditioner

c. Toothpaste/Toothbrush

d. Pads/Tampons

e. Brush

f. Hair bands and clips

g. Sunscreen

h. Bug Spray

i. KY

j. Make-up

k. Medications

l. Sunglasses

m. Glasses

n. Contacts / Solution

o. Ear plugs

p. Small first aid kit

q. Hand sanitizer

r. Blister spray

s. Deodorant

t. Razor

The Mr.

Short sleeve shirts (2) (buy more as souvenirs and wear them if needed)

Under Armour long sleeve Cold Gear shirts (7)

Under Armour Cold Gear sweatshirt (1)

Under Armour Full Zip Cold Gear jacket (1)

Under Armour Cold Gear pants (2)

Jeans (1)

Shorts (1)

Formal outfit (1) (button up shirt/tie/dress pants)

Nice outfits to wear to dinner (2) (polo shirt/dress pants)

Scottevest/Jacket – Black (1)

Rain coat/pants (1)

Under Armour Cold Gear Gloves (1)

Hat (1)

Scarf (1)

Waterproof hiking shoes (2)

Dress shoes to go with the formal and nice dinner outfits (1)

Swim trunks (1)

Long underwear sets (3)

P.J’s (3)

Socks, including some wool hiking socks (10)

Underwear (10)

LL Bean hanging travel toiletry bag (1)

a. Shampoo

b. Conditioner

c. Toothpaste/Toothbrush

d. Brush

e. Hair Gel

f. Sunscreen

g. Bug Spray

h. Medications

i. Sunglasses

j. Glasses

k. Contacts / Solution

l. Ear plugs

m. Deodorant

n. Razor

We never make lists. All I can say is that I hpe that you are in one of the larger cabins.

john

Wow, I thought I was a planner. On my first cruise, I had a spreadsheet with outfits/shoes/jewelry for each day and each night. That's the last time I did that!

We went to Alaska in mid-May, and I ended up wearing jeans every day -- without any long underwear. I'd ditch the long underwear. You can wear the jeans more than once (heck, even more than twice). We took LL Bean 3-in-1 jackets and water repellent pants we could put on over our jeans when we hiked and did the same rafting trip you're doing.

Make sure to put that "jelly stuff" in a zip-lock bag. :eek:

Too late to edit my post. I don't care if the OP wants to bring his own booze.

I'm not sure if he'll be able to pull it off. Posters in the Carnival forum suggest Carnival is doing a better job finding booze. Booze in "alternate" bottles such as mouthwash. Booze in rum runners. A passenger brings a case of mixers on board. Sounds reasonable to think the cruise line might want to further examine his luggage.

No need to argue amongst ourselves:) I don't drink rum or vodka and really don't know about those mixers. I assumed you added the alcohol to the mixers.

This is what I read from the post:

Rum runners (3) (empty – to be used to mix Bon Voyage rum with Baja Bob’s Daiquiri mix.)

Looked at the UA cold weather shirts yesterday--I honestly think you are planning on way too many of this type. I would think about a mix of cold and warm weather ones. They dry very easily.

It would seem that that is the common suggestion, and I am very glad that I asked here to make sure so I can adjust my list appropriately. Being a type A person, I feel better already. Thank you all very much for taking the time to help me out and lead me in the correct direction. I'll remove some of the coldgear items and add one or two more short sleeve shirts.

Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival's vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests 21 years and older may bring on board, only in their carry-on luggage, one bottle, per person, of wine or champagne, 750ml or less. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the steakhouse. All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

I would rethink your alcoholic beverages re the Carnival policy

No need to argue amongst ourselves:) I don't drink rum or vodka and really don't know about those mixers. I assumed you added the alcohol to the mixers.

This is what I read from the post:

I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to cause controversy over the rum runners. I wasn't planning on breaking any of the Carnival rules. I was planning on bringing Baja Bob's Daiquiri mix, which is a powered drink mixer, not a liquid drink mixer. Then order the rum from Bon Voyage and have it delivered to the cabin. However, in order to mix the drinks I will need a container. I figured Rum Runners would be easier to pack then a larger container since it is pretty flat when empty. Plus it would be easy mix together 32 oz, and twist the top on and shake it up. That's it, I swear.

I am only planning on carrying on two bottles of champagne and 24 5.5 oz cans of Mrs. T's Bloody Mary Mix. Unless Carnival changes their rules, and then we will obviously modify the plan. However, we will buy the champagne and Bloody Mary Mix in Seattle. Just hoping we will be able to find a store that will have cases of the mix.

But even with that said, I can admit that I most likely can cut the number of Rum Runners down to one and just drink one flavor daiquiri at a time. I have to cut the size of this list down. Gotta start somewhere.

Oh--I get it now! I was envisioning big bottles of Bloody Mary mix--duh!

Your list is not much different from mine --at least the one in my head. Consider travel sizes or wipes for some items --just what you will use in the amount of time you are away. We did this on a Hawaii trip and it made a huge difference--I collect it through the year. I would do a sample pack of a case and see what works then you can relax. I travel to the UK a lot to see family so I know what fits and meets the weight requirements.

The main thing I'd like to comment on is the champagne--I didn't see what line you're traveling on, but we usually choose NCL (will go to AK in June). NCL has a romance package (check Bon Voyage gifts on website) which includes sparkling wine and chocolate-covered strawberries whichever day you'd like them, dinner in Le Bistro with a bottle of wine, hors d'oeuvres another time in your cabin, a champagne & cake party for all romance package purchasers, and a free photo. It's $135. Whether you buy the champagne in Seattle, or risk disaster & being overweight in your luggage, many lines will charge a corkage fee for wine/spirits you bring on board; on NCL it's $15 per bottle. You can also buy champagne by the bottle on board. I'm an over-packer, too, but the last time we cruised to AK during the first week of June, I brought turtlenecks and merino/cashmere sweaters. I did have to buy a fleece jacket, and gloves, but they made good souvenirs!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, they are renewing their vows! :)

Have a great cruise and thanks for the list. I am just about ready to book my July, 2012 Alaskan cruise and my head is just spinning. It's always nice to see what other cruisers are bringing/not bringing.

Happy cruising!

Stacey

Looks like a lot of "stuff" on the list. We have been to Alaska twice and are going again summer of 2012. I have a list I have tweeked several times and I am glad to send it if you'd like. Like someone else said - layering is your best plan. I never took a big coat but rather a wind breaker type jacket and layered under that. They say "pack and then remove half." Wear things more than once, twice or even 3 times - you're not likely to get so dirty on vacation and even if you do, most ships have small laundry rooms. Best advise given to us - don't sweat the small stuff. Remember you're on VACATION!

Speaking of packing... :D

The Mr. & I bought our first items for Alaska yesterday. We bought rain proof jackets and fleece jackets to layer underneath. We were afraid to wait any longer. The selection/sizes were already starting to get 'picked over' and living in Texas, they won't be stocking anymore!

It was just so exciting to be 'one step closer' to our dream cruise to Alaska in July 2012! :D

Happy New Year one and all!

way to much. you will be bringing home 3/4 of clothing you did not wear.

no one will care if the see you in same shirt 2 days or more same with slacks. You are only going for 7 day. They have have laundries on board. I went for 14 days and still brought to much. Do not put any bottles in checked luggage or you have no clean clothes . You can bye it cheaper. I did.

Mary

Archived