Birth Certificate delimma for grandson

ramrax4

My grandson has my daughters(Maiden) last name on his BC. My daughter got married last year and now her last name is different from her son's. Will her marriage license, drivers license and both of their BC be enough to link their names. I think getting a letter from my grandsons father will just complicate matters as they have different last names. The father is not listed on the BC either will this be a problem? My daughter has full custody of her son.

My grandson has my daughters(Maiden) last name on his BC. My daughter got married last year and now her last name is different from her son's. Will her marriage license, drivers license and both of their BC be enough to link their names. I think getting a letter from my grandsons father will just complicate matters as they have different last names. The father is not listed on the BC either will this be a problem? My daughter has full custody of her son.

Several things going on here ....

Apparently, your daughter is traveling with her son, Yes?

OK Let's go with Yes...

She has Full Custody and will need those papers to travel with him. Otherwise she will need an absent parent travel consent form notarized and signed by the father.

As for your daughter she will need to show the link between her ID and BC so would need her ML anyways.

Will they ask for the custody papers or consent travel and her ML depends on who checks them in. Some do ask others do not. It is better to have and not need than to not have and need.

If the there is no father listed on the BC, no letter from the father would be reqired.

I would get him a state issued ID card if possible. It would be a legal photo ID to accompany his BC so there was not doubt. My grandson had one when he was younger and traveled with my daughter. They had different last names too.

Confirming that an absent parent letter is not needed when the father's name is not on the birth certificate. I have cruised with my daughter a few times using her birth certificate with no father listed, and I was never questioned about it. However, we have the same last name, so I can't help with that part of your question. Happy Travels!

Ok now I am confused. I will be cruising with my husband and daughter in march. my daughter has my prior last name and has her own passport. We frequently travel in and out of Canada with our passports without a problem, even though are last names are different, do I really need my marriage liscence?

Just curious as to what Carnival has said regarding this?

Carnival rep has stated that my daughter will only need to show BC, DL and Marriage certificate which will link her son's BC to my daughter's maiden name. Since the father is not listed on her son's BC no letter from the father is required.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to reply:)

Ok now I am confused. I will be cruising with my husband and daughter in march. my daughter has my prior last name and has her own passport. We frequently travel in and out of Canada with our passports without a problem, even though are last names are different, do I really need my marriage liscence?

If you have a passport that is all you will need. Easiest way to travel by far!

If you have a passport that is all you will need. Easiest way to travel by far!
Sorry, but even children with passports need to be able to prove they are travelling with a parent. In this case, where the Child and Parent have different last names, it is wise to travel with the child's BC and any other bridge documentation showing the mother listed on the BC is the same person standing in front of the clerk. That can include divorce/marriage records as well as the child's BC. Some cruiselines are more stringent than others (RCI particularly) and all ports tend to be more cautious of younger children than older teens.

eta-Mrs. N is travelling on Carnival with an 11 YO daughter, she will most likely be fine with just the child's passport (and notarized letter from any father listed on the BC). But if she is going to worry about it, take all the backup documentation.

we always travel with a letter from the father, even if it is just to Grand Forks, ND for a day trip. We have only been asked for it a handful of times and the one time I didn't have it, they told me that they did NOT have to let us back into Canada because of it!?!

When we took my son on a cruise, I had my divorce agreement which included our custody arrangement as well as a notarized letter from my ex-husband. His name does not appear on the BC (neither does mine) and we also had a passport for him as well. Never got asked for it once but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. I would hate to be turned away and have to see the ship leave without me.

Hello!

Although they have never asked for it, I travel with my sole custody papers when I travel with my child. We traveled with a large group of family that did different excursions (this was an Alaska cruise so only one stop in Canada) so I made sure that my Mom, Aunt, and Uncles had a copy of the custody form and a noterized letter with my permission for her to be accompanied by the family member listed on the letter. I know it was kind of overkill but I would rather be overprepared and not have anyone ask than underprepared and run into a problem.... Hope this helps! Incidentally, she went on two excursions with my Mom and later got on the ship with my uncle and they didn't look at anything but her room key:)

What matters is who has LEGAL CUSTODY:

You need a notarized copy of the legal papers that show to whom the court has granted legal custody.

IF she shares custody with ANYONE she MUST have a written, notarized, letter from that person stating:

:the child's full name

:the full name's of those that have permission to take the child on the ship and OUT OF THE COUNTRY!

:the name of the ship

:the dates of the full trip

:the itinerary

I have seen children/families turned away, it is NOT up to the cruise line it is Immigration/Homeland Security and they do not make exception.

IF there has never been a court order you need the same letter from the biological father. If that is absolute impossible. I would hire a lawyer to write a letter explaining the circumstances. This letter you would then have forever.

Since there is no Father on the BC no notarized letter would be needed. The letter is to prevent a parent from taking a child without another parent's permission and in this case--according to the law anyway--this child only has one parent. The mother will have to prove she is the Mother and could do that with her marriage certificate and her BC. My daughter is in the same situation and she has had her documents looked at several times by Carnival upon debarkation.

You'll need a notarized letter. We took our daughters friend last cruise. They never asked upon embarkation but did at customs during disembarking. I suggest you have it so it goes smooth

Archived