Hike to Diamond Head ?

balanceok

Was wondering how difficult this hike was and how long it takes. And is this worth the effort.

We are planning our first cruise and trip to Hawaii and plan on spending 3-4 days in Oahu before the cruise. Just starting to consider what we will want to do in Oahu.

Thanks.

I was there a few years back. Definetely go first thing in the morning because otherwise it gets too hot. The hike up is well marked but is quite a hike. I am not very active and it definetely go my heart racing. You will encounter two large sets of very steep steps so if anyone has a hard time doing stairs I wouldn't recommend it. The view was nice but I don't think I would do it again. You basically look around up top and then hike back down. I would say it took us 30 minutes up and maybe 20 minutes down.

My husband and I did it 10 years ago and loved it. We are very outdoor active and it was not a problem at all. I didn't like the windy stairs at the top (got sort of dizzy) so we went down the long or back way. We also went first thing in the morning and hooked up with a guild that told us the history and explained everything we were going to see. I hope to get to take our daughter and family back up when we are there again in June.

We hiked Diamond Head last August. I am in my late fifties and not in tip top shape, but I did make it up there. Climbing the stairs was the hardest part for me but I survived. It took us about 45 mins. up (we stopped a few times) and 20 mins. down. The view is spectacular . . our pictures look like postcards. I'm glad we did it.

We did the hike twice, I think the second one took about twice as long as the first time, probably because the hill got steeper or at least seemed so. Anyway the view at the top is well worth the trip. You can also get great views of Honolulu/Waikiki at Punch Bowl Cemetary and also on the Tantalus Mountain Drive. The latter two require a lot less exertion than the hike.

You will have no trouble finding plenty to see and do on Oahu.

You can take thebus to Punch Bowl Cemetary.http://www.thebus.org/Pop/memorial.asp

It would leave you with a pretty good uphill walk to the cemetary, I don't know that I would recommend it. The Tantalus mountain drive starts right across the street from the road up to Punch Bowl but as far as I know there aren't any buses that do that. I'm sure there would be tour operators etc who would include both Punch Bowl and the drive, but the best way would be to rent a car.

Archived