Civitavecchia pre-cruise hotel

Astro Flyer

I searched but didn't find any current information about Civitavecchia hotels for a 1 night pre-cruise stay before embarking on the Crown Princess next November.

Based on Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports book, two hotels appear to be good options...Hotel San Giorgio & Hotel de la Ville. Trip Advisor reviews are also positive for these hotels so I'm seriously considering them.

Has anyone stayed at either hotel & could share their experiences at these hotels or at any other reasonably priced hotel near the train station & the cruise port?

We're staying in Rome for a couple of days before taking the train to Civitavecchia & looking for a decent centrally located reasonably priced hotel for 1 night before embarkation.

Grazie Mille! :)

There is a LOT of info on this board re hotels in Civi.The one most really like the most in the Hotel Triano.You will find lots of good reviews(mayb one not so good) here or check it out on Venere/Trip Advisor or info on Google.My frine just came back from a TA and stayed there before leaving Rome and LOVED it.

We stayed at Hotel San Giorgio. We really liked the hotel, the restaurant and, the service. Get a room with a view of the beach if you can. We even bought a few bottles of wine from their cellar (open only to hotel guests)to take on board.

It is the closest hotel to the port. It is one block to the port entrance where you can catch a free shuttle to the ship. There is a beach across the street and only a few blocks to the shopping area. Lots of sidewalk cafes along the street.

We really loved it and recommend it highly.

I too have stayed at the Hotel Traiano twice. They also will pick you up at the airport for a reasonable fee and take you to the ship for free. They offer a free continental breakfast. The rooms are clean, have good A/C, but the beds are hard. It's about a 5-10 minute walk (7 blocks+/-) to the main street in town which has restaurants. It's perfectly fine for one night. We usually just "crash" any way so we don't need anything too special or need a view of the water. You can book directly with the hotel.

we stayed at Villa Susanna.... it.was.awesome.

It's ran by a married couple, and they have information in your hands before you even think to ask for it... very efficient, clean, convenient (just over a 5 min walk from the train station), and inexpensive.

We spent one night pre-cruise at Hotel Bramante in Civi. and really loved this small boutique hotel. Breakfast (included) was very nice, the room was clean and the bed comfortable. We asked the front desk to order us a pizza and it was the best pizza we have ever had, anywhere! We also used the free shuttle to the ship. I would absoluetly stay there again.

I really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences which gave me some options to consider...grazie mille!

After considering everyones input & researching online, we decided on the Hotel San Giorgio. Even though we're not staying during the true cruise season (200 € per Rick Steves), we're okay with the 87 € rate for a 4 **** hotel. We decided to book now because of the limited number of rooms (41) & now have a nice hotel for the night before sailing very close to the pier's shuttle bus. :D

I really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences which gave me some options to consider...grazie mille!

After considering everyones input & researching online, we decided on the Hotel San Giorgio. Even though we're not staying during the true cruise season (200 € per Rick Steves), we're okay with the 87 € rate for a 4 **** hotel. We decided to book now because of the limited number of rooms (41) & now have a nice hotel for the night before sailing very close to the pier's shuttle bus. :D

I may be wrong about the Hotel San Giorgio, but I thought there was a thread about this hotel cancelling someones reservation with little notice. They offered to move them to a near by hotel but the guest was not happy. Bottom line, and for every hotel, take written confirmations with you and re-confirm several times before the trip.

I may be wrong about the Hotel San Giorgio, but I thought there was a thread about this hotel cancelling someones reservation with little notice. They offered to move them to a near by hotel but the guest was not happy. Bottom line, and for every hotel, take written confirmations with you and re-confirm several times before the trip.

I do recall someone having a problem in another thread & if it was the San Giorgio hopefully it won't be a problem for us. I've read about reservation problems which can probably happen anyplace & hope to have the same experience as those good reviews on CC & Trip Advisor.

Thanks for the suggestion & I'll definitely reconfirm several times and always bring a confirmation. :)

I do recall someone having a problem in another thread & if it was the San Giorgio hopefully it won't be a problem for us. I've read about reservation problems which can probably happen anyplace & hope to have the same experience as those good reviews on CC & Trip Advisor.

Thanks for the suggestion & I'll definitely reconfirm several times and always bring a confirmation. :)

I really think you will enjoy the hotel, it's location and staff. I failed to mention the breakfast was very good. They also will arrange pick up from the airport but regardless who you get, it will cost about 120 Euros for the trip. It is quite a ways.

Do ask for a room overlooking the water. I have a review and photos on tripadvisor for the first time we stayed there in September 2009.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g194743-d659190-r47145310-Hotel_San_Giorgio-Civitavecchia_Lazio.html

I really think you will enjoy the hotel, it's location and staff. I failed to mention the breakfast was very good. They also will arrange pick up from the airport but regardless who you get, it will cost about 120 Euros for the trip. It is quite a ways.

Do ask for a room overlooking the water. I have a review and photos on tripadvisor for the first time we stayed there in September 2009.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g194743-d659190-r47145310-Hotel_San_Giorgio-Civitavecchia_Lazio.html

Thanks...I have one question based on your review...can we get transportation directly to the ship or do we have to use the port's shuttle which is within walking distance of the hotel?

Thanks...I have one question based on your review...can we get transportation directly to the ship or do we have to use the port's shuttle which is within walking distance of the hotel?

The hotel can arrange a van to take you from the hotel to the ship. It is about 15 euros but, you are only block from the port entrance where there is a free shuttle bus to all the ships.

The sidewalk on the hotel side is cobblestone for part of the way so, if you cross the street to the beach, there is good sidewalk where the wheels on your bags will run nicely.

Private vans and taxi's can drive right up to the ship in Civitavecchia. If your hotel is very near the Fort, this is the dropoff/pickup location for the free shuttle to the ship.

The hotel can arrange a van to take you from the hotel to the ship. It is about 15 euros but, you are only block from the port entrance where there is a free shuttle bus to all the ships.

The sidewalk on the hotel side is cobblestone for part of the way so, if you cross the street to the beach, there is good sidewalk where the wheels on your bags will run nicely.

Thanks...either 15 euros or a short walk to the free shuttle bus. :)

It says the normal boarding time is between 1:00 & 5:00 for Princess...anyone know if it's like other embarkations where it really begins around 11:00? Are the lines for the free shuttle long to get to the ship with luggage?

I would appreciate any input to help me decide if I want to walk from the San Giorgio Hotel & wait for a free shuttle or to get to the pier early by paying for a van or taxi? :confused:

Thanks...either 15 euros or a short walk to the free shuttle bus. :)

It says the normal boarding time is between 1:00 & 5:00 for Princess...anyone know if it's like other embarkations where it really begins around 11:00? Are the lines for the free shuttle long to get to the ship with luggage?

I would appreciate any input to help me decide if I want to walk from the San Giorgio Hotel & wait for a free shuttle or to get to the pier early by paying for a van or taxi? :confused:

Yes, the boarding process begins earlier than 1. We were there at 11 with intention of having lunch on board. No problem, we got on a little after 11 but the cabin was not ready. The cabin was ready a little after 1.

Help you decide whether to walk a block and wait for a shuttle or take a taxi. Well, weather would be the deciding factor for me. The hotel can make your taxi or van arrangements the night before. You don't have to decide today (or even in the near future), relax LOL.

• 1 month later...

My only warning about the Hotel San Giorgio is that if you have a problem with them or a price all they will say is "There's nothing we can do". We stayed there last year for 2 nights pre cruise and we had booked their shuttle from the airport.

It specifically says to call them if your plane is late. We did and gave them our new time and when we checked in they charged us an additional 35 euros even though we had called them and all they could say was "There's nothing we can do".

Their check out is also very early in the morning, like 10 or 10:30 am however, they don't provide shuttle service to the port until 1 pm so you're stuck hanging around the lobby with your luggage.

While we were waiting in the lobby for the shuttle, which they do charge you for, we overheard someone wanting a late check out and they were charging them 65 euros to stay in their room till 12 pm.

the hotel was clean but I felt that they tried to charge you for every little thing including the wifi service which is horrendous.

We're going back in August but not staying at the San Giorgio. Good luck.

My only warning about the Hotel San Giorgio is that if you have a problem with them or a price all they will say is "There's nothing we can do". We stayed there last year for 2 nights pre cruise and we had booked their shuttle from the airport.

It specifically says to call them if your plane is late. We did and gave them our new time and when we checked in they charged us an additional 35 euros even though we had called them and all they could say was "There's nothing we can do".

Their check out is also very early in the morning, like 10 or 10:30 am however, they don't provide shuttle service to the port until 1 pm so you're stuck hanging around the lobby with your luggage.

While we were waiting in the lobby for the shuttle, which they do charge you for, we overheard someone wanting a late check out and they were charging them 65 euros to stay in their room till 12 pm.

the hotel was clean but I felt that they tried to charge you for every little thing including the wifi service which is horrendous.

We're going back in August but not staying at the San Giorgio. Good luck.

Strange events. We were there early and had no issues with check in. We also left after the posted check out and had no problem.

If you have wifi problems, then just ask for a cable from the front desk. it works very well. Sitting at the desk is not that much of an inconvenience is it?

I seldom book through a third party, the hotel ends up paying the third party provider a fee. Almost always dealing with the hotel directly will give you the same rate. I also stay in communications with the hotel particularly as it is getting closer. making sure all is reserved and there are no changes. have yet to have a problem.

You were only a block away from a free shuttle, why did you wait 3 hours for a hotel shuttle when one block away you could have caught one?

Sorry to hear you had such a terrible stay. We really loved our stay.

• 2 weeks later...

We have an upcoming cruise that departs Civitavecchia and are considering the San Giorgio Hotel. I note on their website that they have a pre-cruise package that includes transfers, dinner, complimentary internet and breakfast and other extras. They have a gold package which includes shuttle service from Rome airport to the hotel. Their platinum package includes private transfer in a Mercedes (most likely a Mercedes van I am guessing???). I would like to ask fellow cruisers whether anyone has purchased either package from this particular hotel. I would appreciate your comments to help me make an informed decision. Thank you.

Ashley

• 3 months later...
We have an upcoming cruise that departs Civitavecchia and are considering the San Giorgio Hotel. I note on their website that they have a pre-cruise package that includes transfers, dinner, complimentary internet and breakfast and other extras. They have a gold package which includes shuttle service from Rome airport to the hotel. Their platinum package includes private transfer in a Mercedes (most likely a Mercedes van I am guessing???). I would like to ask fellow cruisers whether anyone has purchased either package from this particular hotel. I would appreciate your comments to help me make an informed decision. Thank you.

Ashley

Hello Ashley,

Yes, I purchased the "gold" and "silver" pkgs for 2 nights last Oct. pre-cruise & will be doing the same thing this yr. prior to a transatlantic.

The gold pkg was for the first night as it also included the shuttle. There are a few times per day you can choose. It's not a huge bus and it's comfortable. It was great to have both the dinner & breakfast included since I was solo and just wanted a nice meal without a lot of bother.

They start you off with a complimentary glass of Prosecco as well as an amuse bouche which really served as an appetizer. There's a first plate (I had 2 delicious different pastas) with a few choices. The 2nd plate is also a choice of I believe three items. The veal (I think it was saltambucca) was tastier than my 2nd night's entrecote but both were good & came with some veg. Dessert is also included & the Italian pastry was really tasty.

Only thing is beverage is not included so water, wine, etc. is extra. However, my confirmation email had stated mineral water. When I discussed it at the front desk they asked to see the email. After reading what they wrote, they acknowledged it and I was not charged.

Like Pete Coach, I purchased a couple bottles of wine from their wine cellar. Talked to the restaurant mgr who came up with something in my price range.

Breakfast has quite a spread of tortes and sweet things, a little more than my liking, so I ended up with toast. But there was also boiled eggs, make your own waffles, some ham & cheeses, juices, yogurt, cereals, a coffee machine and complimentary water (though often empty - what's up with the water?)

The gold pkg includes the shuttle van to the port. Since we had to check out around 10 am and the first shuttle didn't leave till about noon, it was a long wait in the lobby. However, they did make it bearable with more Prosecco and hot hors d'oeuvres! As it turned out, I probably could have walked it with my luggage since there's a free shuttle to the ship once you get to the port entrance.

Rooms are plain but clean. I had a single that was small with only a twin bed but I've had that elsewhere in Eur. We held our CC Meet & Greet in the hotel bar and had more than thirty show up. Wine was quite pricey. Since we are planning the same thing this yr, one person negotiated directly with the hotel who will give us a discount. I'm staying there so will make sure this is honored (we have it in writing).

Found the service excellent and the front desk to be friendly & willing to answer all questions. They were completely full so probably not much leeway with check-in or check-out times.

Sorry I didn't see this thread till today. What did you decide to do?

• 3 weeks later...

There is a great pizza place on the waterfront in Civitavecchia. My wife and I stumbled onto it when we were there on our recent Eastern Med cruise (sailed 05/20/12 on RCI Navigator of the Seas). This place had a line of people waiting to get in, meaning it was apparently very popular with the locals.

To see which restaurant I'm talking about check out the pictures I posted on photobucket. I've pasted the link below. Look for the picture with the title, "amazing pizza place." or something like that. Above the entrance a sign says, "la storia continua...." You can easily figure out what that means. It's a fun place; you'll see.

Directions: This place is among the hotels located on the waterfront. When looking out to sea, go to your left until you are about even with the entrance to the train station. It's a delightful walk, about ten minutes if you walk at a leisurely pace.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/EddienFamily/Eastern%20Mediterranean%20Cruise%202012/

Have a great trip!

Archived