asia currency

lolmerry

Hi, wonder if anyone can give some feedback on currency i will need? or where i can use American Dollars,we are cruising on HAL to

Singapore

Thailand /Bankok

Cambodia

Vietnam

Sanya/China

Hong Kong

I know to take small notes ex 1s and 5s,Any help on this subject is very welcome,thankyou

Just my experience as an independent cruiser, though it will depend on whether you DIY or take a ship's or private tour.

If you take a private tour, check out what currency is acceptable (don't rely on the currency used in any quotations) & whether cc is ok. For your own security, I suggest you dont use dc or credit transfer etc.

Local currency everywhere will usually get you a better deal, but may not be worth the hassle.

Thailand. Best to get some Thai baht, USD not widely accepted.

Cambodia. For just a day in Sihanoukville, USD will be fine.

Vietnam. Worth getting some Vietnamese dong if you're there for more than a day, but banks & exchange bureaux outside Vietnam don't tend to carry them. You can exchange, for an excellent rate, at the Post Office in Saigon centre. The building is an attraction in itself and it also has an excellent tourist info desk. Its right opposite the Notre Dame, & close to all the main city sights. Be very careful checking the values of the notes, they have an awful lot of noughts & it's easy to miscount & pay ten times the cost of a purchase. But hey, you'll be a multi-millionaire for a few days :)

You can get by with just USD, but check with city cab drivers before you board.

Sanya - sorry, can't help.

Hong Kong. Has its own currency, the HK dollar. USD not widely accepted, and you'll likely be using the excellent public transport - ferries, buses, MTR, which all need HKD.

JB :)

Just my experience as an independent cruiser, though it will depend on whether you DIY or take a ship's or private tour.

If you take a private tour, check out what currency is acceptable (don't rely on the currency used in any quotations) & whether cc is ok. For your own security, I suggest you dont use dc or credit transfer etc.

Local currency everywhere will usually get you a better deal, but may not be worth the hassle.

Thailand. Best to get some Thai baht, USD not widely accepted.

Cambodia. For just a day in Sihanoukville, USD will be fine.

Vietnam. Worth getting some Vietnamese dong if you're there for more than a day, but banks & exchange bureaux outside Vietnam don't tend to carry them. You can exchange, for an excellent rate, at the Post Office in Saigon centre. The building is an attraction in itself and it also has an excellent tourist info desk. Its right opposite the Notre Dame, & close to all the main city sights. Be very careful checking the values of the notes, they have an awful lot of noughts & it's easy to miscount & pay ten times the cost of a purchase. But hey, you'll be a multi-millionaire for a few days :)

You can get by with just USD, but check with city cab drivers before you board.

Sanya - sorry, can't help.

Hong Kong. Has its own currency, the HK dollar. USD not widely accepted, and you'll likely be using the excellent public transport - ferries, buses, MTR, which all need HKD.

JB :)

Thanks for that info John,Helps me alot thankyou

Sanya/China: You're going to need local $; some of the ship sponsored tours will stop at shops that may exchange $ for your purchase, but the rates are gonna :p.

Same as above in Hong Kong; but there are ATMs all over. Credit cards are more widely accepted, but you lose your "shopping" power in the smaller shops.

Check with your bank about international ATM/Credit Card fees.

Hi, wonder if anyone can give some feedback on currency i will need? or where i can use American Dollars,we are cruising on HAL to

Singapore

Thailand /Bankok

Cambodia

Vietnam

Sanya/China

Hong Kong

I know to take small notes ex 1s and 5s,Any help on this subject is very welcome,thankyou

Hi

We just got back from that area, also on a cruise followed with an inland tour.

If you are following ship tours you really don't need local currency, US dollars will work anywhere you go. If you are going on your own then you would need local currency for transportation (buses, taxis, metro etc). In almost every market we went to you could find someone willing to take US dollars.

Enjoy!

Archived