Wine Reccomendations San Pedro

MrsNobby

Hi

If I get the chance I'd like to pick up a couple of bottles of wine in San Pedro. I've seen all the information as to where to buy it from, my question is what should I buy?

I'll start by saying I'm a cheap and cheerful type of wine drinker, I like wine but dont really appreciate the finer quality wines, in fact it would be fair to say I dont get the whole bouquet and bursting on your palette experience. I like what I like including drinking red chilled as they do in Italy.

In the UK I can pop to the supermarket and pick up my favourite bottle for about £5 ($7.50) I tend to buy Italian wine Pinot Grigio or Montepulciano or if I fancy a change a Chateau Nuef de Pape or a Pouille Fusse/Fume (excuse spelling) for about £10 ($15). I'm not keen on Chardonney and prefer Cava and Prosecco to Champagne. If I am buying the 'real' stuff do like a nice bottle of Mumms. So there you are that's all about my likes, I'm sure any real wine buffs are shaking their heads.

So now your part what labels/wines should I try and what, based on what I've written should I avoid. I know little to nothing about Californian wines so educate me.:)

Hi

If I get the chance I'd like to pick up a couple of bottles of wine in San Pedro. I've seen all the information as to where to buy it from, my question is what should I buy?

I'll start by saying I'm a cheap and cheerful type of wine drinker, I like wine but dont really appreciate the finer quality wines, in fact it would be fair to say I dont get the whole bouquet and bursting on your palette experience. I like what I like including drinking red chilled as they do in Italy.

In the UK I can pop to the supermarket and pick up my favourite bottle for about £5 ($7.50) I tend to buy Italian wine Pinot Grigio or Montepulciano or if I fancy a change a Chateau Nuef de Pape or a Pouille Fusse/Fume (excuse spelling) for about £10 ($15). I'm not keen on Chardonney and prefer Cava and Prosecco to Champagne. If I am buying the 'real' stuff do like a nice bottle of Mumms. So there you are that's all about my likes, I'm sure any real wine buffs are shaking their heads.

So now your part what labels/wines should I try and what, based on what I've written should I avoid. I know little to nothing about Californian wines so educate me.:)

We being of the cheapest variety, love to indulge on "two-buck chuck," available for $1.99 at Trader Joes. Very drinkable; and, the price is certainly right. Others may disagree. The actual label is "Charles Shaw." And, if you're going on one of the "confiscator" cruise lines, you can't be relieved of much in price. If you're on Princess.............no problemo. If you're on Carnival out of Long Beach, they allow "one bottle per passenger, in your carry-on luggage only," as per the sign as you enter the terminal building. Some folks have had their wine packed in the NOT carry on luggage conficated. There is a Trader Joes in San Pedro, on Western Avenue.

Trader Joe's will have a very large selection of wines, including Pino Grigio - a large percentage of them very reasonably priced, anywhere from $3 on up. They usually have some specials set up at the ends of aisles that are often quite good. You'll also find that almost all grocery stores, even pharmacies, sell wine in a fair price range.

Where will you be staying and will you have a car?

I like Trader Joe's, but Von's usually has better prices on Pinot Grigio. There's one on Gaffey near 13th Street. As for the other wines you've mentioned (that I can't spell, either), Trader Joe's might be a better bet. Vons tend to limit their Italian wines to PG and Chianti.:rolleyes:

And if you like PG, try a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc for a little variety. Some of them taste like alcoholic grapefruit juice (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but others are really quite tasty (that's a wine snob term;)).

There is a great wine shop just a couple of blocks up 6th St. from the Crowne Plaza, it is called "Off the Vine Wines". If you Google it you will find it. If you contact them and pre-order they will deliver your wine to your hotel.:)

Another UK wine question here. We will be staying at the Hotel maya in Long Beach the night before our cruise. As we will have no transport (apart from taxis) where will be the easiest place to pick up a bottle or 2 of wine?

Thanks in advance

Another UK wine question here. We will be staying at the Hotel maya in Long Beach the night before our cruise. As we will have no transport (apart from taxis) where will be the easiest place to pick up a bottle or 2 of wine?

Thanks in advance

website for off the vines store in san pedro

www dot offthevinewines dot com

for hotel maya there are no shops nearby but great happy hour at queen mary and the reef restaurant...i would recommend queen mary for pre cruise ambience!!!!you could take red bus to downtown long beach to buy wine at vons but long beach is a little seedy without a car...

Hi

I think your best bet is to pick out a wine store and tell the clerk what you like and what price range you are interested in. They should guide you in the right direction and you won't be selecting something just by how the label looks.

Well I decided to contact Off the Vine Wines and they couldn't have been more helpful. I sent an email to confirm that the wines were available and that Off the Vine Wines could deliver to my hotel in Long Beach. Michael from Off the Vine Wines replied very quickly and I then phoned the shop and paid for my order with my credit card and received a scanned copy of my credit card receipts via email within 10 mins of me putting the phone down.

As I will be flying in from the UK (20 hours of travelling with children :eek:) I decided the convenience of having the wine delivered to my hotel for $10 was for me excellent value and the variety of wines on offer meant I had plenty to choose from.

Right just the packing to organise and the flights to survive.

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions and I must admit I'm am still tempted to try a bottle of "two buck chuck" if I come across it some time after all nothing ventured nothing gained.

I am happy to hear that they did such a good job for you. Given that you were in Long Beach I can understand the $10 delivery charge...I am not sure that they charge for a delivery to San Pedro hotels? Maybe if they are watching this thread they would let us know or send me an email and I will post their answer.

I have heard from the owners of Off the Vine Wines who have explained that they do charge a $10 delivery fee to locations outside of San Pedro but they do deliver free to San Pedro hotels.

Incidentally they are regular contributors to forums on San Pedro and area providing excellent information but are a bit reluctant to post directly about their business.

I have heard from the owners of Off the Vine Wines who have explained that they do charge a $10 delivery fee to locations outside of San Pedro but they do deliver free to San Pedro hotels.

Incidentally they are regular contributors to forums on San Pedro and area providing excellent information but are a bit reluctant to post directly about their business.

That's because you're not supposed to advertise on CC.:)

We are on a back-to-back cruise Ft Lauderdale-Los Angeles-Ft Lauderdale. We would like to purchase wine for our return trip while in San Pedro. Where is the closest wine shop to the port? Any help is greatly appreciated.

There's a little market on N. Harbor right across the street from the pier, but they have a limited (and mediocre) selection. I would recommend taking a cab up to one of the stores already mentioned on this thread.

I haven't yet visited Off the Vine (I discovered that they're closed on Monday) but it really is on my to-do list...

We're over nighting at the Crown Plaza in San Pedro. Been doing some looking and found an A-1 grocery closer than Trader Joe's. Any feedback? Also, what would be the cost, about, of a cab ride to either Trader Joe's or Von's? Off the Vines looks good but I'm with the other poster, I can do inexpensive, cheap, wine most of the time. Best wine I've had I picked up from a lock keeper on the Burgundy Canal in 2001 for about 35 francs. LOL :D

Archived