Which Western Caribbean excursions with a 2 year old?

emtmom

We'll be stopping at Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Our kids are 13 5 and 2 (almost 3 by the time we sail). We are having a hard time finding something we can all do that doesn't involve hours on a bus!

Well, GC is a great place for a beach day...there are buses and it's mins...not hours! There are restrooms, chair/umbrella rentals, etc....food/drink, available at the public access points. A very cost-effective day!

If you haven't researched your ports, start now! Get a guidebook or go online....find out what there is that might interest you in each place! If you know something about where you're going, you can enhance your enjoyment, and save money if you don't need excursions....that gets expensive for a whole family!

We will be going to GC and Cozumel with a 1 yo in two weeks. In GC we plan to grab a cab and head to the beach for a couple of hours. When DS is tired we will head back to the ship. In Cozumel we are going to take a cab to Chakanaab park. There is a sea lion show and beaches for swimming/snorkeling.

Both of these taxi rides are about 15 minutes if I understand correctly.

I have also heard great things about Paradise Island in Cozumel as being a good place to take kids.

There are a lot of private beach clubs in cozumel. Last year we took our sons who were 5 at the time to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. It is an all inclusive beach club. You get 2 chairs, a hut for shade and a 3 course meal and drinks which were both very good. They have a pool and the bathrooms were very clean. They only take about 100 peope per day so it was quiet and perfect for a day of playing in the sand and water. There are some others in Cozumel hat have more to do for older kids like water trampolines and such that get good reviews. Check out the Cozumel folder on the ports of call forum and there should be a lot of informaiton about these places. We just took a cab and it was pretty short and reasonable.

Have fun!

Thanks for the responses, we've actually done Chankanaab when my 5 yr old was 2 and he was tall enough for the dolphin encounter and screamed the whole time, so we're not willing to risk it this time around with our youngest (she's also a petite little thing so not sure she'll make the height requirements). I think we might be leaning toward Boatswain's Turtle in GC, I think our biggest challenge will be finding something in Jamaica.

Thanks for the responses, we've actually done Chankanaab when my 5 yr old was 2 and he was tall enough for the dolphin encounter and screamed the whole time, so we're not willing to risk it this time around with our youngest (she's also a petite little thing so not sure she'll make the height requirements). I think we might be leaning toward Boatswain's Turtle in GC, I think our biggest challenge will be finding something in Jamaica.

We had an amazing time at Iberostar suites in Montego bay just this past summer. From the time we left the pier in Falmouth, to standing in the gorgeous lobby was under 15 minutes. That is, if you're looking for a relaxing, fun beach day. Plus, for your families age brackets, at Iberostar suites there is a lazy river which could provide some additional fun,

(I recently posted this on the ports of call boards," I would confidently recommend Iberostar Rose Hall suites in Montego Bay. From pier to lobby, the drive was under 15 minutes. We telephoned them to book about 6 wks prior to our cruise. We booked the four of us at Iberostar suite at the recommendation of someone who works for my DH who had stayed a week with his family. There is also Iberostar Beach, connected to Suite by the beach. Suites has a lazy river and is a newer property, but DH and I walked over to Beach and used their pool, swim up bar & met folks who were on the same cruise as we were. The clientele is a little more upscale at Suites. Suites cost is approx. $15-$20pp more, I cant recall exactly. The buffet food at Suites was very good. The beach clean, gorgeous and powdery. The infinity edge pool with swim up bar was great. This is a very easy place to recommend with confidence. I am looking to book a week there it was so beautiful.)

Only advice would be, get there earlier then we did. We didnt arrive until around 11-11:30 and didnt have the best positioned loungers. This did not make or break the day, but the more time spent there, the better!

PS, Just the opinions of my 4 (me, dh, dd/22 & ds/18 - ages in the summer, at the time we sailed here) we didnt much like Nachi Cocom, it was okay. There was a HUGE drop off this past summer. I dont have little ones, but I would make the effort to find RECENT pictures of the beach itself. The food was good, bathrooms clean, pool was 'ok'- could have been cleaner, the drinks apparently had almost zero alcohol content. If you drink beer you're okay. The wave runners needed extensive work.

Archived