Stop over in Georgia

Janice Romano

This is most likely a dumb question, but I have to ask. We have a stop over in Georgia before we head to Fort Lauderdale. It is with Delta Airlines, but we get on a different Delta plane in Georgia. Do we collect our luggage ourselves and re-check it in or do they transfer it to the next plane for us? Thanks for any help

This is most likely a dumb question, but I have to ask. We have a stop over in Georgia before we head to Fort Lauderdale. It is with Delta Airlines, but we get on a different Delta plane in Georgia. Do we collect our luggage ourselves and re-check it in or do they transfer it to the next plane for us? Thanks for any help

You will check you bags at your originating airport and claim them at your final destination. (Ft Lauderdale)

Suggest you doublecheck you claim check to insure they indeed have your bags routed all the way to Florida.

Enjoy your trip!

The correct term is a connection.:) A stopover is a specific term in airline travel meaning you stay in that city over a certain period of time. Just an FYI

As to your connection, where are you flying from? I see your location is Ontario, I'm assuming that is Canada right? Most Canadian airports offer US preclearance, which means you do US immigration at your Canadian airport, so when you get to the US your connection is handled like any other domestic connection. You don't have to collect luggage and re-check it. However, if you happen to be coming from an airport that doesn't have preclearance (this is unlikely), then you would have to go through immigration, collect your luggage, go through customs, recheck your luggage, and then go back through security.

Your connection is at Hartsfield Jackson International airport in Atlanta. It is the world's busiest airport so I hope you have an adequate connection time. Anything less than an hour could be stressful for a first timer.

The airport currently has five parallel concourses with a 6th opening in the spring. There is an underground tram found in the middle of each concourse.

You should check out the airport maps on line. There is also a terminal/concourse map in the Sky Miles magazine which will be in the seat pocket.

The signage is overhead.

Atlanta is Delta's home so you will find Delta flights on every concourse. Regional jets tend to dock toward the ends of concourses C and D. International flights without preclearance like those from the major Canadian airports, generally land at concourse E but may take off at T, A, B, or E.

There will be a Red Coat at the gate when you land. He or she will give you directions to your next flight. The Red Coat staff will be roaming the concourses too if you need additonal assistance.

I hope this helps. I'd offer to be of more assistance but I'll be at ATL again tomorrow.

If you're flying out of Pearson (YYZ for the flyer-saavy people) you will be cleared by US customs before boarding your flight here, so if I understand correctly, you shouldn't have any issues having to go through customs again in ATL.

I've never had to make a connection at ATL (or anywhere else for that matter), so I can't give you any first hand testimony.

Good Luck!

Atlanta is Delta's home so you will find Delta flights on every concourse. Regional jets tend to dock toward the ends of concourses C and D. International flights without preclearance like those from the major Canadian airports, generally land at concourse E but may take off at T, A, B, or E.

All the major Canadian airports (YHZ, YUL, YOW, YYZ, YWG, YEG, YYC, YVR) have US preclearance.

Another Canadian chiming in here. I'm guessing that the OP may be flying out of Buffalo. If that's the case, you'll check your bags there and won't see them again until you claim them in Ft. Lauderdale. One of the pluses of using Buffalo over Pearson is that you now have a domestic flight and no customs and immigration are involved. :D

Another Canadian chiming in here. I'm guessing that the OP may be flying out of Buffalo. If that's the case, you'll check your bags there and won't see them again until you claim them in Ft. Lauderdale. One of the pluses of using Buffalo over Pearson is that you now have a domestic flight and no customs and immigration are involved. :D

Well, other than that pesky bridge of course LOL. But even if the OP is flying from Toronto, the bags are still checked right through to destination and the ATL connection would be handled the same.

Archived