Honeymoon question

smiles32617

I am getting married and waiting 2 weeks to go on our honeymoon. What do I need to do if my name is changed? If it's different that than my passport?

Should I wait to change my name? I don't want any reason for them to not allow me on my cruise :)

Thanks!!!!

I am getting married and waiting 2 weeks to go on our honeymoon. What do I need to do if my name is changed? If it's different that than my passport?

Should I wait to change my name? I don't want any reason for them to not allow me on my cruise :)

Thanks!!!!

Cyndi, Don't change anything until you get back. Otherwise you will be setting yourself up for a big PITA. We got married on 10/14/11 and left a week later for our honeymoon on the Inspiration. Since we originally booked in my maiden name, our PVP told us just to wait until we got back to do any name changes.

The first thing that you will need is your official Marriage license. This was not given to us the same day as we were married, It has to go through the courts to be officially recorded. They will then mail you the official-raised seal document. Once you get this back in the mail, your next step is Social Security. When you go to apply for a new Social Security card, it can take up to 10 working days to get your new card anyway. You then have to go to the BMV and in the state of Indiana, you do not get your new Dr.Lic the same day. They give you written proof that you have applied and are awaiting your official Driver Lic to be mailed to you. This too, takes from 7 to 10 days, and I must add that you need your new SS info before you can go to BMV. I just went through this in the past few weeks and it is not a quick process. 2 weeks may or may not be enough time to get everything that you need changed into your new married name. In addition, you will want your credit cards, debit cards etc... to match your ID as well, and changing those over is not a quick process either.

Everything must match on your cruise booking, so if you booked in your maiden name, your Dr Lic and/or Passport is in your maiden name, just leave it exactly like it is until you return. I don't know if you booked with the airlines, but that reservation too must match your ID.

I also wanted to start using my married name as soon as possible but this is one time that it paid to be a little patient and do it right.

BTW, if you do your name change on your passport within one year of the original date that you applied, then there is no charge.

Congratulations !!! Have a great honeymoon. :)

Thanks!!!!

Book the cruise using the name on your passport. Feel free to change your name when ever you want but always book travel in whatever name is on your passport. There is no rule that you have to change the name on your passport and there is no law that prevent you from calling yourself one name, but using another on your travel documents unless you are doing it for fraudulent purposes.

Cyndi, Don't change anything until you get back. Otherwise you will be setting yourself up for a big PITA. We got married on 10/14/11 and left a week later for our honeymoon on the Inspiration. Since we originally booked in my maiden name, our PVP told us just to wait until we got back to do any name changes.

The first thing that you will need is your official Marriage license. This was not given to us the same day as we were married, It has to go through the courts to be officially recorded. They will then mail you the official-raised seal document. Once you get this back in the mail, your next step is Social Security. When you go to apply for a new Social Security card, it can take up to 10 working days to get your new card anyway. You then have to go to the BMV and in the state of Indiana, you do not get your new Dr.Lic the same day. They give you written proof that you have applied and are awaiting your official Driver Lic to be mailed to you. This too, takes from 7 to 10 days, and I must add that you need your new SS info before you can go to BMV. I just went through this in the past few weeks and it is not a quick process. 2 weeks may or may not be enough time to get everything that you need changed into your new married name. In addition, you will want your credit cards, debit cards etc... to match your ID as well, and changing those over is not a quick process either.

Everything must match on your cruise booking, so if you booked in your maiden name, your Dr Lic and/or Passport is in your maiden name, just leave it exactly like it is until you return. I don't know if you booked with the airlines, but that reservation too must match your ID.

I also wanted to start using my married name as soon as possible but this is one time that it paid to be a little patient and do it right.

BTW, if you do your name change on your passport within one year of the original date that you applied, then there is no charge.

Congratulations !!! Have a great honeymoon. :)

Wow, this is all really great information. We are in nearly the same situation getting married and honeymooning a week later next summer. I knew some of this, including the same advice to leave the name until you get back, but didn't know all this about the different steps and timeframes for each. This will definitely help when the time comes.

Like everyone above has said. Don't change your name yet!

I also honeymooned and waited to change my name.

PS - Assuming you have a passport - change your name on it before your one year anniversary. If you wait til over a year, you have to pay $120 to get a new one, but if you do it in under a year, it's FREE!

Lesson Learned:(

If your cruise is already booked under your maiden name, dont change your passport until you get back. Name booked must match ID

Exactly. The only thing you need to make sure of is that your passport and the name on your booking match. DW had already changed her name but not her passport when we sailed for our honeymoon, so we just made sure that the booking was made in her maiden name so it matched her passport. Then, when we got back, she got her passport changed (free).

Archived