***Live from the Legend Athens-Mumbai***

Seabourntraveller

Sorry to hear the atmosphere is not quite so good - we have noticed a big difference in the enjoyment of being on board when the ships are full; up to about 170 on the small ships and 370 on the large ships is great, for passengers and crew (though not for Head Office, obviously). It is like living in a village in the countryside against a crowded town. Sadly, quite a few Seabourn fans, including us, now try to avoid the school holidays because of numbers and numbers of children.

Naturally everyone is now agog for more news of the brattish teenagers (I wonder if their parents read the blogs?!)

FYI, Lincslady et al...the "Teens" as I mistakenly labeled them...(they look that young to be smoking and drinking like FISH...OK OK I can't say anymore!) one of them is actually 23 and the other we are not sure how old he is which is his "friend" that got invited to travel along with him and his Family....we are having our "sources" trying to dig up his age....stay tuned for more mayhem on the High Seas!

P.S. Markham day 18 and counting of the FOX NEWS brainwashing which continues.....gosh I may have to take up crochet or petit point at this rate!...YIKES!..:(

Oh, Seabourntraveller, you are being tested, as surely as I share your pain!

You must buck up and never waiver, remembering all that those who have come before you taught you so well. That would include your parents, grandparents, teachers, and the most inspiring statesmen and generals of their time who led us to victory in the great wars. To paraphrase, you have nothing to fear but fear itself! Steady on the tiller!

In time I trust that there's an inquest on the question of motives- financial or otherwise- as to the damages that might accrue through sensory deprivation on your personal wellbeing. If so, let's ensure there is a proper hearing during which all the victims' testimony is gathered. As you may know, Seabourn has just posted to all club members a letter requesting their validation of their days sailed. So Seabourn has the data and we can start our grievance process with an overlay of the number of days we were exposed to this cruelty.

In time there will be a remedy, I can only hope. And in just a few days, provided you remain in balance, you will have access to CNN, BBC and Sky. I promise.

Let the healing begin!

Oh, Seabourntraveller, you are being tested, as surely as I share your pain!

You must buck up and never waiver, remembering all that those who have come before you taught you so well. That would include your parents, grandparents, teachers, and the most inspiring statesmen and generals of their time who led us to victory in the great wars. To paraphrase, you have nothing to fear but fear itself! Steady on the tiller!

In time I trust that there's an inquest on the question of motives- financial or otherwise- as to the damages that might accrue through sensory deprivation on your personal wellbeing. If so, let's ensure there is a proper hearing during which all the victims' testimony is gathered. As you may know, Seabourn has just posted to all club members a letter requesting their validation of their days sailed. So Seabourn has the data and we can start our grievance process with an overlay of the number of days we were exposed to this cruelty.

In time there will be a remedy, I can only hope. And in just a few days, provided you remain in balance, you will have access to CNN, BBC and Sky. I promise.

Let the healing begin!

My Prayers have been answered...sort of! CNN, TCM and Cartoon Network have just appeared on my screen for how long anyone's guess?:D

Restaurant Menu

First Course:

Crab Salad with Green Apple Gelee, apple chips, extra olive oil

Seared Veal Carpaccio, young spinach, basil vinaigrette, percorino romano shavings

Sauteed Escalope of Foie Gras & Peppered Peach Tatin, basil oil

Crab Consomme, roasted sweet peppers

Cauliflower Potage with Mushroom Agnolotti, lemon oil, mushroom chips

Arugula & Crisp Shallots, balsamic dressing

Tossed Tomato & Grilled Bread, cucumber and toasted pine nuts

Main Course:

Pan Sauteed Codfish, White Bean Puree, Braised Artichokes, silvered olives and tomato confit

Fresh Maine Soft Shell Crab, green & white asparagus risotto, lobster foam

Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb, fondant potatoes in mustard jus, peas and wilted lettuce

Slow Roasted Prime Rib of Beef, truffled duaphine potatoes, spinach, bordelaise shallots

Vegetarian-Crisp Polenta with Eggplant & Olive Relish, braised fennel and oven dried tomatoes

Restaurant 2; theme "Cafe Elegant"

Same menus as above was being served but in Restaurant 2.

The Sky Grill was closed for Dinner as it was Elegantly Casual Dress Code and the pattern seems to be closed on Formal Optional Nights as well.

Day 21: Muscat, Oman 8:00am-11:00pm

Good Morning from Muscat, Oman. We arrived earlier than our scheduled 8:00am arrival and tied up alongside the pier at 7:20am and we have just received clearence now to go ashore. Seabourn is offering a continuous Shuttle Service from the Port of Muscat to the Souq. Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Seas is here today with us.

We woke up early this morning to have breakfast in the Verandah Cafe only to come back to our cabin at 8:20am to find a note saying that the Dolphin Swim excursion was canceled today due to the seas being too rough and the tour operator canceled. Looking outside our window, the sea looks like a sheet of glass???? Needless to say we are p*ssed off with such short notice. We tried calling the Tour Office onboard and the phone rings off the hook and no one answers???

I guess our Plan B now will be to go to the Souq which we have already seen before and walk around and stretch our legs. Because we got this notice so late we are left high and dry, the other tours have already left at 8:45am!!!

More to come later today from Muscat, Oman onboard the Legend.

Seabourntraveler

Many thanks for your update!

YOU are the reason I'm getting up with "the chickens!" I'm waking/arising early, early......just to read of the beautiful Legend Castle happenings! Plus, wrapping up Christmas details!:D

If you should become bored, aboard......ask the Ex. Housekeeper to bring a couple of Stewardess's up to the Sky Bar for an "animal towel" making demo ~~I recently inquired to the Seattle Hotel Dept. if we might learn to make the towel animals on our March Spirit TA ~answer was YES! I would so like to make snakes, swans, monkeys, etc at home! You could host the special event! And serve free cocktails ~~~:D Your Cruise Director might enjoy attending, as well ~~I have mentioned this learning demo to a few Sailor's who will be aboard the Spirit TA Crossing and they want to sign up!

Just a fun Seabourn different event ~~~:p

Happy, safe, fun & festive Legend sailing

Martita B.

Further Update; Murtah Souq, Muscat

We just came back from going to the Murtah Souq here in Muscat. We took the shuttle bus from the ship mid afternoon after having lunch in the Verandah Cafe. The Souq has a multitudes of things to shop for...think of the Grand Bazar in Istanbul on a "mini scale" and there you have it. We had a lot more people than usual in the souq due to the Brilliance of the Seas being in with us at the same time today. They are due to leave at 6:00pm as we are still currently in port until 11:00pm....in fact I just heard the horn being blowed as they are leaving port as I type.

We have an Evening Under The Stars Deck BBQ scheduled on the open decks 7 & 8 tonight from 7:30pm until 9:00pm and at 9:45pm "Rock the Boat" with Jan, Aaron, Adam, Joanna, Claudia & Oliver along with Seabreeze. The last cruise this night was really fun and it should be no doubt the same this evening.

About smoking onboard...I had read numerous comments on CC prior to boarding and I really think that Seabourn Corporate needs to take a serious look at the policy once again. I don't like the fact people can smoke on side of the Midnight Sun Lounge. I think smoking should ONLY be limited to smoking outside in a designated place and/or on your balcony but should not be allowed in any other public spaces onboard IMO.:mad:

More to come later today from the Legend in port in Muscat, Oman.

Seabourntraveller: Isn't it always people who make things so different - it's obvious to all of us reading your marvellous posts that things are now not quite so "Seabourn" and calm as they were - I guess it's the time of year that brings out the, well I am looking for a polite word and that fails me, the sort of people who with their bad, and "me, me, me" attitude who spoil things for everyone else.

I'm sorry you missed the Dolphins - I would have been so disappointed. Have you seen the You Tube clip with the cat and the dolphin. I think this is the right link but if you just put cat and dolphins youtube it'll come straight up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rynvewVe21Y. It's very sweet.

I agree about the Smoking - it makes no sense whatsoever to "allow" it in one part of an enclosed inside space - and I imagine on the smaller ships, there are fewer places to escape to a smoke free zone.

I had my grocery order delivered today with all the ingredients necessary to make the famous breadsticks, but I have forgotten the yeast - AAGH! So they'll have to wait till next week as I am not going out to the shops! You think the behaviour on your floating castle is bad, try a Scottish supermarket 2 days before Christmas;):D What's wrong with everybody???? The shops are only closed for 2 days! And some of us remember when they used to always close at mid-day on Saturday and didn't re-open until Monday morning;):p:D! Aaah those were the days .... no not really but I do still think it's a hoot that we can go supermarket shopping at midnight if we want to! ;)

Further Update; Murtah Souq, Muscat

We just came back from going to the Murtah Souq here in Muscat. We took the shuttle bus from the ship mid afternoon after having lunch in the Verandah Cafe. The Souq has a multitudes of things to shop for...think of the Grand Bazar in Istanbul on a "mini scale" and there you have it. We had a lot more people than usual in the souq due to the Brilliance of the Seas being in with us at the same time today. They are due to leave at 6:00pm as we are still currently in port until 11:00pm....in fact I just heard the horn being blowed as they are leaving port as I type.

We have an Evening Under The Stars Deck BBQ scheduled on the open decks 7 & 8 tonight from 7:30pm until 9:00pm and at 9:45pm "Rock the Boat" with Jan, Aaron, Adam, Joanna, Claudia & Oliver along with Seabreeze. The last cruise this night was really fun and it should be no doubt the same this evening.

About smoking onboard...I had read numerous comments on CC prior to boarding and I really think that Seabourn Corporate needs to take a serious look at the policy once again. I don't like the fact people can smoke on side of the Midnight Sun Lounge. I think smoking should ONLY be limited to smoking outside in a designated place and/or on your balcony but should not be allowed in any other public spaces onboard IMO.:mad:

More to come later today from the Legend in port in Muscat, Oman.

Hope Adam plays his harmonica solo at the Rock the Boat show - it's awesome!!!

Really enjoying your reports, just wish we were on a Seabourn ship somewhere, ANYWHERE!!!!!

Really can't wait to read your installments....bravo....Fox news was also the only option on a QM2 T/A recently...must be a Carnival thing....

We are in Dubai on our SB cruise Singapore to Athens in March...want a private driver, who did you use? Have a luncheon booked at Burj al Arab...want to visit the gold souk as well.

Thanks so much for your posts....very helpful for those of use to follow....

At Sea days

Further Update; Evening

We had a fantastic meal outside on deck with firends for the Deck BBQ Party. The food served had a full Pasta Station, Nigerian Shrimp, Grilled Lamb Chops, Fish, Corn on the Cob and an array of cold salads, seafood etc. The Dessert Station was amazing as well with Cheesecakes, Profiterole Tower, Banana's Fosters, Peacan Pie, Fudge Brownies etc...not a Weight Watcher's Day!

The Food selections were different than on the previous Deck BBQ party which was a nice touch. The turn out was moderate, I was expecting to see everyone from the ship attend. I would say there were about maybe 100 people max. The Restaurant was open for dinner but Restaurant was closed due the Deck BBQ being held.

At 9:45pm Jan and her Team began the "Rock the Boat" performance which was well done again on this cruise and people got up and were dancing as well. For some reason we left at 9:45pm from Muscat, Oman instead of the published 11:00pm.

The sailaway was amazing leaving Muscat with the lights lighting up the fortress and amusement park and corniche area.

We are heading towards Sur, Oman which is less than 106 nm from Muscat and we are practically crawling to get there that's how slow we are going.

More to come from the "Floating Castle" the Legend making our way thru the Gulf of Oman.

Really can't wait to read your installments....bravo....Fox news was also the only option on a QM2 T/A recently...must be a Carnival thing....

We are in Dubai on our SB cruise Singapore to Athens in March...want a private driver, who did you use? Have a luncheon booked at Burj al Arab...want to visit the gold souk as well.

Thanks so much for your posts....very helpful for those of use to follow....

At Sea days

Yes thank god we have other channels now and that the Brainwashing can end!...LOL Are you on the Quest doing that cruise in March? We are considering booking the Quest from Dubai-Venice World Segment V in April this year.

We used a company called Orient Tours and Katherina our guide and driver Carter were EXCELLENT!

Seabourntraveller: Isn't it always people who make things so different - it's obvious to all of us reading your marvellous posts that things are now not quite so "Seabourn" and calm as they were - I guess it's the time of year that brings out the, well I am looking for a polite word and that fails me, the sort of people who with their bad, and "me, me, me" attitude who spoil things for everyone else.

I'm sorry you missed the Dolphins - I would have been so disappointed. Have you seen the You Tube clip with the cat and the dolphin. I think this is the right link but if you just put cat and dolphins youtube it'll come straight up.

. It's very sweet.

I agree about the Smoking - it makes no sense whatsoever to "allow" it in one part of an enclosed inside space - and I imagine on the smaller ships, there are fewer places to escape to a smoke free zone.

I had my grocery order delivered today with all the ingredients necessary to make the famous breadsticks, but I have forgotten the yeast - AAGH! So they'll have to wait till next week as I am not going out to the shops! You think the behaviour on your floating castle is bad, try a Scottish supermarket 2 days before Christmas;):D What's wrong with everybody???? The shops are only closed for 2 days! And some of us remember when they used to always close at mid-day on Saturday and didn't re-open until Monday morning;):p:D! Aaah those were the days .... no not really but I do still think it's a hoot that we can go supermarket shopping at midnight if we want to! ;)

fairbourne thank you for the link!

I saw Chef Martin out on deck last night at the Deck BBQ Party and told him about your attempt to make the breadsticks.

Let me know back on here how they turned out next week?

Entertainment Onboard;

6:00pm Catholic Mass

6:30pm Cocktails in the Club with "Claudia & Oliver"

7:30pm-9:00pm Evening Under the Stars-Deck BBQ Dec 7 & 8

9:30pm After Dinner in the Club with "Claudia & Oliver"

9:30pm Popcorn Movie: "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" in the King Olav Lounge

9:45pm Rock the Boat! Deck 7 & 8

Sorry to hear the atmosphere is not quite so good - we have noticed a big difference in the enjoyment of being on board when the ships are full; up to about 170 on the small ships and 370 on the large ships is great, for passengers and crew (though not for Head Office, obviously). It is like living in a village in the countryside against a crowded town. Sadly, quite a few Seabourn fans, including us, now try to avoid the school holidays because of numbers and numbers of children.

Naturally everyone is now agog for more news of the brattish teenagers (I wonder if their parents read the blogs?!)

Linclady, I too was surprised by the number of kids onboard (I believe there are 8 in total) especially on such an exotic itinerary from Dubai to Mumbai, India given the price of this cruise and also the flights involved.

As to the "brattish teenagers" which are actually 23 and 21 yesterday they came into the Vernadah Cafe screeming at the top of thier lungs..."Wheres my Coffee!!!!". They were apparently pulled aside by the Assistant Maitre'd and read the riot act sort to speak!...stay tuned:rolleyes:

FYI, the "Teens" as I mistakenly labeled them...(they look that young to be smoking and drinking like FISH...OK OK I can't say anymore!) one of them is actually 23 and the other we are not sure how old he is which is his "friend" that got invited to travel along with him and his Family....we are having our "sources" trying to dig up his age....stay tuned for more mayhem on the High Seas!

My experience is that the "youths" will overdo it the first night or two and then "disappear" for 3-4 days ... perhaps an aversion to sunlight while in a recuperative state. Not making excuses, but I too was young once, so I try to look past the distraction. Hoping that you continue to have a great cruise across the Indian Ocean.

One question ... was the Restaurant open or closed during the Deck Party night? I thought it was always open, but I'm surprised when you said only about 100 showed up for the party. To me, the Deck Party has always been a fun event, and three steps up from the usual luncheon Veranda buffet.

My experience is that the "youths" will overdo it the first night or two and then "disappear" for 3-4 days ... perhaps an aversion to sunlight while in a recuperative state. Not making excuses, but I too was young once, so I try to look past the distraction. Hoping that you continue to have a great cruise across the Indian Ocean.

One question ... was the Restaurant open or closed during the Deck Party night? I thought it was always open, but I'm surprised when you said only about 100 showed up for the party. To me, the Deck Party has always been a fun event, and three steps up from the usual luncheon Veranda buffet.

We were also surprised by the "low" turnout last night but we have a more "Formal Crowd" onboard this cruise then last and I suspect they went to the Restaurant which was open from 7:00pm-9:00pm.

I hope your analogy vis a vis the "youths" onboard is correct and they sequester themselves for 10-12 days!...LOL

Day 22: Sur, Oman 7:00am-1:00pm

Good morning from Sur, Oman. We are currently anchored offshore from Sur, Oman and they have begun the tender service approx. 20 minutes ago. We went to the Verandah Cafe this morning at 7:45am and surprisingly it was empty. I don't know if most people have decided to order Room Service but we practically had the place to ourselves. People started pooring in only after 8:30am. We have such a short stop here today in Sur, Oman. We plan on heading out ashore in 15 minutes time and walk around. It's not a very big place by any means. There is also a complimentary shuttle bus running ashore for us to the Souq..."Another City Another Souq!".

Back onboard is at 12:30pm and we sail at 1:00pm for Poranbar, India in 2 days time Christmas Day.

More to come later today from the Legend anchored currently in Sur, Oman.

Further Update on Sur, Oman 7:00am-1:00pm

Just came back from being ashore in Sur, Oman. A new port for us as we had been many a time in Muscat but never Sur. We'll the swells this morning were almost 8ft-10ft high which made tendering quite the sight and feet to accomplish. The tender ride was very bumpy and we had to wait several minutes until we were able to leave the ship. The acutal ride doesn't take more than 7-10 minutes. We then hopped on the Shuttle Bus to the Souq which was another 5-7 minute ride.

Once we arrived at the Souq it was a complete disappointment!!!...baron, delapidated and run down (and I am trying to remain objective here in my descriptions) to say the least. Most shops or any of interest were closed due to it being Friday (prayer day). Quite honestly they could have saved fuel and gone slower to make our way to Porbandar, India instead of stopping here this morning.

I am glad that we got up early, had breakfast in the Verandah Cafe and went ashore first thing as we are now back onboard and it's 11:00am. We are scheduled to leave at 1:00pm for Porbandar, India.

There are many activities scheduled today onboard the Legend;

2:00pm Duplicate and Social Bridge

3:00pm Golf Putting with Adam by the Sky Bar

4:00pm Afternoon Tea is served as usual in the Midnight Sun Lounge

5:00pm Catholic Mass with Father Jim Schexnayder in the Card Room

The Verandah Cafe is open for Lunch today from 12 noon until 2:00pm and the Restaurant is also open from 12:30pm-1:30pm as well as the Sky Grill from 1:00pm-2:30pm.

More to follow later today from the Legend making our way in 2 hours time for Porbandar, India!

Day 22: Further Update from the Bridge; Enroute to Probandar, India

Captain just came on the PA to tell us that our safety checks were completed and that the anchor was secured and pulled up and that we will be travelling at 14 knots in an easterly heading into the Indian Ocean. We have 560 nm until we reach Probandar on Dec 25th. Also, the clocks go foreward again tonight by 1 hour (1 hour less sleep). Our current temperature is 26C or 78F under sunny skies.

We just came back from Lunch in the Verandah Cafe and had a really nice grilled swordfish with mixed baby squash and a tomato with capers sauce. the Verandah now tends to fill up very quickly after 12:30pm and by the time we left at 1:15pm the place was packed to the rafters!

More to come from the "Floating Castle" the Legend making enroute now for Probandar, India!

Restaurant Dinner Menu

First Course:

Sashimi of Seared hamachi, fresh and pickled celery salad, capicolla, black lava salt

Grilled Vegetable & Mozzarella, herb infused virgin olive oil, balsamic syrup

Seafood Tournedos, quick cabbage saute, sauce a l'americaine

Chicken Bouillon, herbed dumplings and celery pancetta

Roasted Garlic & Potao Soup, rosemary croutons, crunchy pancetta

Truffled Baby Corn Salad with Mache, and crisp red onions

Braised Leeks Confit, crunchy onions, mustard-sherry vinaigrette

Main Course:

Pan Sauteed Orange Roughy, olive oil laced fingerling potatoes

Mustard Crusted Scallops on Scallion Potato Risotto, wild mushrooms

Oven Roasted Capon "Saltimbocca", with sweet garlic, broccoli and purple potatoes

Veal Tenderloin, Citrus Pan Sauce, haricots vert, fingerling potatoes

Vegetarian-Napa Cabbage Leaves Stuffed with Couscous, roasted peppers, cilantro yogurt and shallot vinaigrette

Restaurant 2; Theme "Tasting"

Chef's Cocktail: Lobster Martini, Watermelon Gelee, Vanilla Champagne Froth

Artichoke Salad, Seared Sushi Tuna, Black Olive Vinaigrette

Crab & Spinach Pop, Stir Fried ****ake Mushrooms, Bok Choy

Cured & Roasted Duck Breast, Mango, Chili Mint Oil

Lemongrass Seafood Presse, Double Shocked Shrimp

Tomato & Coconut Cappuccino, Braised Oxtail Cigar

Crisp Sea Bass, Bean Meli-Melo, Citrus Fondue

Barbeque Glazed Short Ribs & Seared foie Gras, Orange Potato Soubise

Sweet Coffee Sandwich, Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream, White Chocolate Foam

***The Sky Grill is also open this evening from 7:30pm to 9:00pm serving a Surf and Turf with Filet Mignon and Grilled Nigerian Shrimp***

The Connoisseur Table, Wine Tasting

Again on this cruise they will be offering the Connoisseur wine Tasting which is limited to a max 14 paxs and minimum of 10 in order to hold the event and again at a cost of $75.00 per person on Dec 26th in the Restaurant with our Sommelier, Phillipe Donzenac.

Sancerre Le Chene Crochet Loire Valley, France 2007

Duckhorn Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley, California USA 2008

Pommard Louis Latour Burgundy, France 2008

Torres Mas La Plana Cabernet Sauvignon Penedes, Spain 2003

Guado al Tasso Antinori Tuscany, Italy 2005

Opus One Mondavi & Rothschild Napa Valley, California USA 2003

Entertainment Onboard Tonight;

6:30pm Enrichment Lecture: "The East India Company and the Creation of India" with guest lecturer Sarah Rose in the King Olav Lounge

6:30pm Cocktails in the Club with "Claudia & Oliver"

9:30pm After Dinner with "Claudia & Oliver" in the Club

9:45pm Adam Green in the Midnight Sun Lounge

10:00pm Showtime: An evening with Kevin Devane! in the King Olav Lounge

Clocks more forward 1.5 hours tonight at 2:00am....less sleep for all!

Seas are fairly calm this evening and virtually no movement as we have entered into the Arabian Sea and crossing the Indian Ocean later tonight travelling at some 14 knots.

More to come later tonight from the Legend crossing the Indian Ocean enroute to Probandar, India.

Archived