Airport Info: Santiago & EZE how much walking?

janmcn

My broken ankle isn't healing well, so I'd like to limit walking in the airport if needed. For those who have been in the Santiago airport and/or the Buenos Aires airportS..(both)…will it be better for me to arrange for a wheelchair to get me from/to the planes? I'm flying AA/LAN. I'm still in a boot and able to walk fine otherwise…but in a large terminal?

Thanks….I'm determined to take this Jan. 6 cruise!

Sounds like a doctor should advise you. Do you know your specific gates already? Just arrival or departure, not connection? I've been to both airports but don't recall how much walking we did. If the airline can help you arrange for a wheelchair, why not do it? Having one and not needing it is better than needing it and not having it. If you heal better than expected, you could cancel it. I think you'll do more walking getting onto and off the ship and walking around the ship. Will you use a wheelchair or scooter there?

Thanks…no real worries about mobility, but I know some airports have LOOONNG distances with lots of waiting times so thought I'd try to eliminate them. No problem on the ship…I know how/where to get places the easiest way…just trying to eliminate a few steps here and there so I can concentrate on the "fun stuff."

If the airline can help you arrange for a wheelchair, why not do it? Having one and not needing it is better than needing it and not having it. If you heal better than expected, you could cancel it.

I agree completely. Why not?

An additional bonus is that you and your traveling companions will get through lines (e.g. security, customs, immigration) faster than a fully ambulatory person.

Arriving in BA, I don't remember the walking but do remember waiting in long lines for immigration/visa payment, etc.

Leaving from Santiago. I think there were passengers from at least one other ship there. Most flights to NA are rather late in the evening - 9 or 10 as I recall. We asked to be dropped off early - abt 5 pm - and regretted it. NO agents were on duty until about 6:30 or 7, so there were long, long snaking lines of standing passengers with loads of cruise luggage. Very few seats, a couple of food stands, and good restrooms. Once we checked in and got through security, there were more amenities, but no chairs close by to put your shoes back on, and a long walk to our gate - AA to Dallas.

A friend happened to notice that the wife of a couple who were regular dancers in one of the ship's lounges was in a wheelchair in the long line :)

I would definitely ask for wheelchair assistance if possible.

Archived