Potty Trained Requirement?

ToddlerMom

We've put a deposit down on the RCCL FOS for next December when DD will have just turned 3. I'm hoping she will be potty trained by then but I know that I can't count on it.

When they say that your child must be potty trained, what does that mean? What if the child has a small accident? Do they remind the kids that they need to go to the potty?

In the kid's club, there is no one to "help" your child go potty...they must be able to pull pants up and down, wipe, etc....on their own. So being "potty trained" means they don't use diapers and don't (unless it's a rare occasion!) have accidents.

Same with pool use....most ships require children to be totally out of diapers...no "swimmies" in the pools. Some ships will have a "baby splash area" where diapered ones CAN go.....I don't know which ships have that.

You have a whole year....no worries!

RCCL counselors do not remind the children to go potty. Nor do they help in any way with going potty. Pullups are not allowed in AO. If the child has more than 2 (I'm not sure about this number) accidents, they will be withdrawn from AO.

RCCL counselors do not remind the children to go potty. Nor do they help in any way with going potty. Pullups are not allowed in AO. If the child has more than 2 (I'm not sure about this number) accidents, they will be withdrawn from AO.

Thanks. That makes me a little nervous although we've got a year. Maybe I'll need to reconsider the Epic if things aren't going well before the final payment is due.

I know NCL allows kids to wear diapers/pull-ups in their kids club but won't change them but will they remind kids to go to the potty? Would they also kick out a kid who had too many accidents or would they just require that you switch to pull-ups?

Does the Epic have child sized toilets in their kids club?

On RCI they have the "3 strikes and you're out" policy. So if she had 3 accidents, she would be removed from AO. But knowing their system, she could then go to the nursery if you needed it (paid service). But I can imagine that would be upsetting to her. :(

And on RCI, they have to be "100% potty trained and self suffcient in the potty"

On NCL, you could just leave her in pull ups (if needed) and they would page you if she needed to be changed. Then you wouldn't have any issue at all. I would NEVER send a child to a kids club without a pull up if I had *any* thought that they would have an accident. When we were on Gem, this one little boy had an accident and it was the most pitiful sight. I felt sooooo bad for him. They had to page his mom and he had to sit there all yucky and wet and wait over 10 minutes for mom to arrive. Meanwhile, he was in a pool of pee. :(

You say she will just have turned 3 at the time of the cruise. Is this your first child? If it is, then you may not realize that most kids who are "potty trained" by 3 aren't necessarily self sufficient at it. They need help remembering and getting the pants down and sometimes with wiping too. Add the excitement of a cruise and the anxiousness of a new situation to the mix and she may not be able to even do what she is doing at home. I personally think that's alot to expect from a 3 year old.

My DS was 4 and fully potty trained when he went to the kids club on Celebrity. However, at that age, many kids still need help with wiping #2. But, that wasn't an issue that prevented us from putting him in the kids club. Somehow, DS always "waited" for me in terms of that. He never went #2 during morning nursery school! We didn't leave him in the kids club longer than a few hours at a time, however. So, if your daughter is trained but not wiping, you will be okay for shorter intervals at the club.

We took DD on a Med Cruise with us on Celebrity. She was 3, and by the grace of God, was potty trained at 2 (I would love to stake claim that it was due to my awesome parenting, but it wasn't - her school taught her and she was just "ready" when they started). Nonetheless, I can count on 1 hand the number of times she's had an accident (since being potty trained), and 2 of those times were on the cruise.

She would be soooooooooooooo awesome while on excursions, in Kid's Club, etc., but she would be so tired or excited in the stateroom that she would go doing an activity. As crazy as it sounds, it's true! :)

Just be prepared for anything! As stated before, NCL (I think their min age is 2) and Princess (min age is 3), you can wear pull-ups; RCL requires NO pull-ups and the age is 3.

DS is 17-months and we're preparing cruise #2 with Princess for him. He'll hang with us while DD will go to Kid's Club. DD has 7 cruises on her own and this will be 8. Get 'em used to cruising early and they'll thank ya for it! :p

Lady_G

I had a three year and three month old on majesty of the seas and he did just fine. He had only been potty trained for maybe four months and while he was still having accidents at home and daycare, he never had one on the ship. This was a summer cruise but there didn't seen to be a lot of kids in the 3-5 group for some reason so it may have helped that with so few kids I got the impression that the counselors, who also seemed infatuated with my son, probably reminded him. After the first day on this cruise he absolutely refused to leave. Even on coco cay, where he was the only kid, I had to literally drag him out to go to the family beach!! He is so looking forward to another trip to the "kids club" on freedom this spring break, I hope it lives up to the majesty experience!

Archived