Glory skipped Grand Cayman this week

jimw

And that --in a nutshell-- it what the Capt. makes his decision on

-the safety of transitioning his guests

from a rocking rolling tender moving up and down maybe 2-3 ft. relative to his stationary hull.

You heard one lady say already, she felt like she nearly lost a leg doing said transition!

Listen up...when the tender guys themselves feedback to the Officers in charge of tendering

that "It's not lookin good today,Boss" -you pay attn. to those guys

'coz they're the ones who gonna get hauled over the coals,later! :cool:

I'm talkin about the two guys who stand on either side of me and the lil old ladies

grabbing us by the arms to provide extra stability.

They're the guys who are right there on that action spot between tender and ship, where legs get broken or mangled!

Personally, I don't want to hear the stories they could tell.

Seems like I remember an incident a few years ago with an RCI ship where the morning was fine but the swells got ugly in the afternoon and they had major issues getting people back to the ship. If I remember correctly, there were people bobbing around in tenders for quite a while out there who were seasick and they couldn't tie back up to the dock or the ship because it had gotten so rough. And don't remember if it was Cayman or Belize where the lady had her leg broken trying to get on a tender in choppy seas.

I would think that after a few of these type incidents, they'd err on the side of caution, though.

Seems like I remember an incident a few years ago with an RCI ship

where the morning was fine but the swells got ugly in the afternoon

and they had major issues getting people back to the ship.

If I remember correctly, there were people bobbing around in tenders for quite a while out there

who were seasick and they couldn't tie back up to the dock or the ship because it had gotten so rough.

And don't remember if it was Cayman or Belize where the lady had her leg broken trying to get on a tender in choppy seas.

I would think that after a few of these type incidents, they'd err on the side of caution, though.

Yes I recall that story, where people were stuck on bobbing tenders for some hours

as the tender guys tried to wait for the brief periods between 'sets' of swells

to approach the ship and get a few off, at a time.

It probably resulted in a late departure from that stop,too.

Have a feeling it was Belize?

Moral of the story: Cruising isn't always that FairyTale Dream you hoped it would be.

Sometimes it has its crusty bits...

We were on the Valor last week and missed Grand Cayman. We were up and ready to go when the Captain made the announcement that we were waiting to see what the weather was going to do and if the swells were going to calm down. I knew then that it didn't look good...then when I looked out and saw all the tender boats leaving I knew we weren't going ashore. It didn't look bad at first, but about two hours after we left the rain and wind moved in and the seas were very rough. The dealers at the craps table were talking with us while we were playing telling us that if the weather stayed like it was at the time we wouldn't make port in Roatan or Belize either. It was not a great morning the next day, but we ported in Roatan, and then Belize was fine. It was beautiful in Cozumel. I would have liked to have seen Grand Cayman, but not at the risk of injury getting off the boat or the threat that we might not be able to make it back if we do go ashore.

I was on the Glory this week and yup, I was bummed to miss Grand Cayman. BUT, we had a blast on board that day. We made up our own digital scavenger hunt, we rented a movie in the cabin and ordered room service and ate ourselves silly. We won ourselves 2 plastic pieces of ship on a stick!

It's all in your mindset people! HAVE FUN ON VACATION no matter what mother nature does!

Plus, we got off the boat with Carnival OWING US MONEY! :) Refunding our excursion $$ plus our early saver refunds and we ended up $8 in the positive for the week!

Just curious how everything else was on the glory? I booked my cruise in August and the month of November doesn't seem to get very good reviews. I will be leaving the 18th of DEC so only 2 weeks away!!! any thoughts or suggestions would be great :D

No worries, I was on this cruise and had a GREAT time. It's my favorite ship (even though it's due for dry dock next year - and will be even better after)

We were on the Glory this week as well. Although we were disappointed that we didn't get to see Grand Cayman, we had a great time on the ship.

On the final Sea Day, we took the "Behind the Fun" tour which was one of the highlights of the trip! While we were on the bridge we asked the Captain about the decision not to tender at GC. He told us that he was given all the reports from the port and the tender operators and it did not look positive. He said it was his decision and he went with the safety of the passengers and decided pass on GC. We asked if there were any other options for the day and he showed us the charts and it was obvious that there was no where else to go. We talked about the hope that Cuba would someday be an option and he said there were over 20 possible ports if that ever came to be. I hope I can live long enough for relations between US & Cuba can make that a possibility :)

Sir Tyne,

Thanks so much for reporting here--the information is much appreciated! I should have gone on the Behind The Fun Tour, my wife wasn't interested though--I must do it next time.

Cuba Libre! Wow 20 ports, I had no idea. A 3 week cruise just to make all of'em!!

Archived