Expensive bear expedition in Kitchikan - worth it?

alaskawdw12

Hi everybody!

we just reserved our shore excursions for our cruise to Alaska July 2012 on RCCL.

In Ketchikan, the excursion that sounded the best to us was the Bear Country & Wildlife Expedition. It's the most expensive excursion we booked, and we were wondering - is it worth the money? What is so special about this tour that makes it worth almost $200 per person?

Hi everybody!

we just reserved our shore excursions for our cruise to Alaska July 2012 on RCCL.

In Ketchikan, the excursion that sounded the best to us was the Bear Country & Wildlife Expedition. It's the most expensive excursion we booked, and we were wondering - is it worth the money? What is so special about this tour that makes it worth almost $200 per person?

Just wondering where you are finding such a CHEAP bear viewing trip???? Must not be much because most bear viewing trips are in the $300-500pp price range. This is essentially a "drive by" trip where there are viewing platforms. 3.5 hours is not very long-if no bears show up, you got a ride to the country. Will there be bears there-NOT if it is NOT prime salmon fishing time.

And when are you going? I see you posted July 2012 BUT you must check the fish charts to see if the salmon are even going to be around on your particular dates. This is STRICTLY black bears-no browns, no grizzlies.

I personally wouldn't waste the money. From the description provided by the website, more time is spent doing things OTHER than bear viewing. http://spiritofalaskatours.com/holland/bear-country.htm

Just wondering where you are finding such a CHEAP bear viewing trip???? Must not be much because most bear viewing trips are in the $300-500pp price range. This is essentially a "drive by" trip where there are viewing platforms. 3.5 hours is not very long-if no bears show up, you got a ride to the country. Will there be bears there-NOT if it is NOT prime salmon fishing time.

And when are you going? I see you posted July 2012 BUT you must check the fish charts to see if the salmon are even going to be around on your particular dates. This is STRICTLY black bears-no browns, no grizzlies.

I personally wouldn't waste the money. From the description provided by the website, more time is spent doing things OTHER than bear viewing. http://spiritofalaskatours.com/holland/bear-country.htm

I checked the fish charts and we're there during the peak of the salmon run (except for king salmon...).

The excursion you're talking about really does seem like mostly not bears. Here's the one I was asking about:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=KE74&DestinationCode=

what do you think?

I checked the fish charts and we're there during the peak of the salmon run (except for king salmon...).

The excursion you're talking about really does seem like mostly not bears. Here's the one I was asking about:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=KE74&DestinationCode=

what do you think?

I will bet it is the same excursion probably run by the same tour operator. Same time frame, same "walk through the forest", same viewing platforms, "Your naturalist will also include other off-the-beaten-track wildlife viewing spots on this bear search". This is the catch phrase so RCCL covers its butt if you spend more time looking at the lumber mill and eagles

RCCL (and all the other cruise lines) make excursions sound so great. I still say because the excursions are named EXACTLY the same (Copyright infringement and all that), it is probably the same tour.

Figure it out-you have to load everyone on a bus, everyone has to walk a mile in and back (that could EASILY take 30 minutes each way with a whole bus load of people). An hour + is gone just walking back and forth. So how long do you think you are REALLY going to see the bears AND have time for other "off the beaten track wildlife viewing spots"? The ENTIRE tour is only just slightly over 3 hours.

Your choice, but I sure wouldn't waste my money. Save your money (what else were you planning on doing in Ketchikan if your bear tour is only 3 hours) and go on a REAL bear viewing trip. I would be taking the trip to Pack Creek out of Juneau-yes, it costs twice as much. BUT it is a TRUE bear viewing trip and Pack Creek is browns/grizzlies.

I will bet it is the same excursion probably run by the same tour operator. Same time frame, same "walk through the forest", same viewing platforms, "Your naturalist will also include other off-the-beaten-track wildlife viewing spots on this bear search". This is the catch phrase so RCCL covers its butt if you spend more time looking at the lumber mill and eagles

RCCL (and all the other cruise lines) make excursions sound so great. I still say because the excursions are named EXACTLY the same (Copyright infringement and all that), it is probably the same tour.

Figure it out-you have to load everyone on a bus, everyone has to walk a mile in and back (that could EASILY take 30 minutes each way with a whole bus load of people). An hour + is gone just walking back and forth. So how long do you think you are REALLY going to see the bears AND have time for other "off the beaten track wildlife viewing spots"? The ENTIRE tour is only just slightly over 3 hours.

Your choice, but I sure wouldn't waste my money. Save your money (what else were you planning on doing in Ketchikan if your bear tour is only 3 hours) and go on a REAL bear viewing trip. I would be taking the trip to Pack Creek out of Juneau-yes, it costs twice as much. BUT it is a TRUE bear viewing trip and Pack Creek is browns/grizzlies.

I agree...it definitely is in the same place as the excursion you mentioned. That's why I was trying to figure out if there was anything special about this one to justify the huge price difference.

I was thinking of going to the lumberjack show and historic Ketchikan trolley. That's 3 hrs. So we were looking for something to do in addition to that, preferably something outdoorsy. In other places we're going on bicycles and rafting. What else is there to do there? We don't want to fly or get onto another boat or go on the zip line. It seems like Ketchikan has the fewest hiking opportunities.

If you're looking for things to do at any port, try googling that town's visitor information web site. http://visit-ketchikan.com/ They will even send a free visitor guide. (as will most towns)

Ketchikan is a lovely place with an interesting history. They have an excellent walking tour; the visitor info booths provide free maps for it. Keep in mind that Ketchikan is VERY rainy. The totem park is a worthwhile visit.

You could also borrow a few Alaska travel books to get some ideas. There are even a few books available specific to Alaska cruising.

This tour appears to be one of two very similar tours operated by Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary, which is at Herring Cove. Their website, http://www.alaskacanopy.com/Tours/Wildlife-Expedition.html, advertises:

"Watch for bears from the safety of above ground platforms and bridges which maximize your viewing and provide protection. To limit resource impacts, only a limited number of small groups have access to this exclusive bear viewing area."

The other tour is 1/2 hour shorter and costs $79, but does not include access to the above ground platforms. It is described as the Wildlife Sanctuary & Eagle Center Tour.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has taken either of these tours. I have signed up for the second tour on my next cruise, described by Celebrity as the Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary, Eagles & Totems tour.

Has anyone taken the Spasski River Valley, Wildlife & Bear Search at Icy Strait Point, and would you recommend one over the other? Their descriptions seem very similar. I will be cruising at the very end of the season, which might not be the best time for bear viewing.

The Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary has added additional trails, bridges and platforms for bear viewing. This is something I suggested they do 6 years ago. If you know anything at all about Herring Cove then you also know it is home to the Whitman Lake Fish Hatchery. Anywhere you have a hatchery in southeast Alaska you'll have an abundance of bears. Lots of bears.

I have not been on the tour since they added the new trails and platforms. All I can say is there are lots of black bears that visit the hatchery in the summer. I've got the pictures to prove it to. You'll have to make your own choices.

The Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary has added additional trails, bridges and platforms for bear viewing. This is something I suggested they do 6 years ago. If you know anything at all about Herring Cove then you also know it is home to the Whitman Lake Fish Hatchery. Anywhere you have a hatchery in southeast Alaska you'll have an abundance of bears. Lots of bears.

I have not been on the tour since they added the new trails and platforms. All I can say is there are lots of black bears that visit the hatchery in the summer. I've got the pictures to prove it to. You'll have to make your own choices.

Thank you! Very helpful. I hope we also get to see a lot of bears :)

Thank you everyone for your help!

we'll look into the town's visitor info online, that's a great idea.

It's good to know that the sanctuary has a lot of bears in it, I think we'll end up doing it despite the price. I'll let you know what we thought :)

Has anyone taken the Spasski River Valley, Wildlife & Bear Search at Icy Strait Point, and would you recommend one over the other? Their descriptions seem very similar.

I was also debating between this (we're signed up for the first one you mentioned) and the Spasski River Valley, Wildlife & Bear Search at Icy Strait Point. One difference I know of between the 2 is that in Icy Strait Point it's brown bears, whereas in ketchikan it's black bears.

Just wanted to update - after reading MANY bad reviews of this tour on Tripadvisor, I've cancelled this excursion. It seems like the only ppl who thought it was a worth while excursion were the ones who did the much cheaper of the 2 trips (which isn't called a bear expedition, so they weren't upset that they barely saw any bears). People on tripadvisor claimed that since the zipline runs right over head there's a lot of noise and screaming, which keep the bears away. I personnaly don't know, but I'd rather not be disappointed with our last exprience in Alaska (Ketchikan is our last port).

Archived