Got a $48 airfare, one way !!!

How many of you are going? It's about 900 miles each way, so even at a low-end estimate of overall costs of 50 cents a mile for fuel, maintenance, depreciation, etc. you're looking at spending $900 to drive - and that's before you start factoring in things like the time taken, any additional accommodation costs en route, and the cost of parking for the duration of your cruise.

Good grief! Give it a rest already! Why in the world are you pick-pick-pick apart people's posts and keep babbling?? She said she bought the non-refundable tickets. I live just as far from Florida and no way is it $900 worth of expenses to drive there. I drive there all the time. I won't debate the costs with someone who hasn't drivien it so don't bother quoting this and breaking it down sentence by sentence.

Kim - congrats on your low airflight. So what if it goes under, you paid with a CC and it can be contested if they go bankrupt. People have been talking about some airlines going under for years yet they are still operational. If worse comes to shove you can drive. Keep the faith it will all work out.

Well, I'm wishing you luck on your flight. I had the same situation a couple of years ago with United and it worked out fine.

There is absolutely no way I would get in a car and drive 2 days each way. I think the estimate by Globaliser is fairly true, so driving would not save you any extra $$ over flying. You also have to add the cost of a motel room each way and parking for the week on the cruise, so you've got another $200-$300 there to add in to the budget. Make sure you have a back up plan that does not include gassing up the car.

Of course, I'm the type that thinks driving in a car any more than 3 hours is pure torture.

• 4 weeks later...

AirTran is now having a big sale flying your Dulles/Orlando route for $59 each way in August.

As far as Independence, Wall Street is trading its stock at 63 cents a share continuing to show its lack of faith - down 40% since the last post on this thread only 3 weeks ago.

The following provides a third party perspective:

http://biz.yahoo.com/deal/050502/flyiinnosedive.html?.v=2

Howard

With reading all this information on arilines I have to say I am a bit unsure of our flight coming home in November. We are flying American airlines down and US air on the way back, the only reason we did this was because US air offered a much better flight time for the way home. Can anyone give me any insight on how they feel about US Air? Should I be very concerned?:confused:

Can anyone give me any insight on how they feel about US Air? Should I be very concerned?:confused:

As a TA, I am not currently placing anyone on a US flight after the end of June until I can get some reassurance that they will have the funding to continue.

Most people that follow the airline industry feel very very iffy about USAir's survival after June. The industry will be in better shape with one or two fewer airlines. Remember, when an airline shuts down, there is no advance notice. We will wake up some morning and the news will report that XYZ Airline has ceased operations and the assets have been seized by the creditors. Then the rush to find alternative seats on another airline. Especially bad if it happens while you're at sea.

don't always take what their headlines read as the ultimate source of info.

I'm seeing $94 between Reagan and Fort Lauderdale

right from their own website:

Coach $94.00*dot.gifdot.gif Tue, 16 Aug 05

Flight 183 6:30 am departWashington, DC - Reagan (DCA)

8:20 am

Flight 73

9:35 am connect Atlanta, GA (ATL)

11:22 am arrive Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)

Howard

As far as Independence, Wall Street is trading its stock at 63 cents a share continuing to show its lack of faith - down 40% since the last post on this thread only 3 weeks ago.

The following provides a third party perspective:

http://biz.yahoo.com/deal/050502/flyiinnosedive.html?.v=2

The Washington post has an article today that quotes other research as well, and some more financial figures and statistics from the company.

Notably, load factor was back down to 68.6 percent in April - and the airline is now quoting a breakeven load factor of "mid- to high-70-percent" range to even approach the breakeven level, which is higher than the impressions previously given.

None of this looks good. None of it.

Learn from the Jetsgo spring break tragedy. All those customers got great deals on their air ticket. The only problem with that is airlines can't continue to operate when the ticket cost do not cover the actual cost of the flight. Alot of people learned a very expensive, sad lesson. Cheap isn't always a great deal!

I've done pretty well out of RDU on AirTran and Southwest is another option.

I agree that pricing is good with both of these airlines out of RDU, but the scheduling is aweful. Very few flights to and from Miami.

Through Independence Air from Dulles to Orlando in August. Chose the $64 coming back because the $48 one was too early, before disembarking.

So, we saved $250 off of any other airfare listed in expedia, orbitz etc.

What a great deal!

I remember once we got Delta tickets from LAX-MIA for $210 pp. That was a great deal too!

Archived