most economical cabin for a family of 5

alert

We are a family of 5. Kids ages are 16, 10 and 8

We are new to cruising so we are willing to try any cruise lines for a 7 days Caribbean cruise. I would like to know the most economical type of cabin to book for our family of 5.

Thanks

Generally the most economical cabin is going to be an inside of some sort, but the exact cabins available for a family of 5 will vary by cruiseline. I have read reports that it can often be cheaper to book two cabins rather than one cabin that sleeps 5. Depending on the age of your kids and whether or not the adults are willing to separate this may be the cheapest solution.

I know that RCI has family cabins on some of their ships which have a queen bed, two bunk beds in a small alcove and then a sofa bed.

I would go with 2 connecting cabins...the kind with the door inbetween the rooms. That way, you get a bit of privacy and both kids and adults will have their own space, and more importantly, their own bathrooms! 2 smaller cabins are almost always less expensive than a "family" suite.

We booked 2 interior cabins for our family of four, kids ages 15 & 12. It worked nicely for our family and I would not hesitate to recommend it. Having the extra bathroom is so nice and (my) teen kids are big & messy! :p (Yes, I tipped extra to the steward.) I have my review in my signature. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask! :o

We are a family of five and searched for options for cabins. On the some of the older Carnival ships, there were cabins for five. This was the cheapest option but we decided that the quarters would be too cramped. We ended up booking connecting balcony cabins because there were very few connected cabins that would allow a triple in one, double in the next. (As mentioned, the newer Carnival ships also have family suites which were more expensive)

On the carnival fantasy class ships they have inside cabins for 5. That is the least expensive option. NCL also has a few ships that have insides for 5. On other ships you cannot have 5 unless you are in some sort of suite which comes at a price. You can do the adjoining which is the next cheapest option but the adjoining insides seem to book quickly. So then you wind up spending double on the adjoining ocean views or balconies than what you were originally planning on spending and could have gone on 2 cruises.

Now we did just get lucky. We booked an inside for 5 on Carnival. Came into some money and decided to add an additional cabin. Couldn't get adjoining but got cabins next door to each other for an additional $400. Not bad for double the space. 3 nights before the cruise leaves we get a call from Carnival that for another $200 could get the grande suite. 330 sq feet plus 70 sq ft balcony.

Now thats the way to travel. It will most likely never happen again and the 5 of us will be crammed into an inside but I would rather cruise in a shoebox than be home (lol).

We are a family of five and searched for options for cabins. On the some of the older Carnival ships, there were cabins for five. This was the cheapest option but we decided that the quarters would be too cramped. We ended up booking connecting balcony cabins because there were very few connected cabins that would allow a triple in one, double in the next. (As mentioned, the newer Carnival ships also have family suites which were more expensive)

We have a double and triple connecting ocean view on our upcoming Ecstacy cruise and had several choices of locations. Booked about 6 months in advance. We also decided that five in one cabin would be a bit much and the larger suites were much more than we wanted to pay.

Op my kid's are all very close in age to yours. We were told that since our cabins were connected we could register the kid's in one and DH and I in the other. No s&s confusion that way.

I would go with 2 connecting cabins...the kind with the door inbetween the rooms. That way, you get a bit of privacy and both kids and adults will have their own space, and more importantly, their own bathrooms! 2 smaller cabins are almost always less expensive than a "family" suite.

This will be our first cruise for our family of 5. Our travel agent said that booking the 2 interior rooms with an adjoining door was the cheapest and best option. He just put my husband in one room with our teenage sons and me and my daughter in the other one when he made the reservation. In reality it will probably be the teenagers in the one room with my husband, daughter and me in the other. I know I will be grateful for the extra bathroom.

• 2 weeks later...

We love RCCL family suites. For all four cruises that we've had this type of room, it has been less expensive than had we booked two connecting inside cabins. (And we had to pay for a "phantom" fifth person to get the room - still less expensive). But, be very careful about which family suite, there are several different floorplans. We have had the one with the little alcove, described above (definately not the best). But, we have also had one with two separate (though small) rooms with closing doors. We've also had one with the bunk bed room having a door, and the queen bed room having just a curtain. They have all been nice and it's the only way I'll cruise, now. Well, I would certainly take a royal family suite, but that is just a dream right now. Having one bathroom has not been a problem for us, but we don't yet have teenagers. Also, dh and the kids always get ready for dinner first and then they leave the cabin so I can take my time getting ready.

Archived