First time cruiser :)

MrsBB

Well IMHO you are choosing the best place to cruise - I think the caribbean is made for cruising, all the towns are very near the terminals, no need for shuttles and usually a beach really near, it is very geared up for the cruise trade. Plus you get the weather and you can't beat Sea days in the caribbean.

It sounds really amazing and I am in awe of your cruise history :) you have been so many fantastic places and I see you have even done the Caribbean on Ventura - how did you find it?

I had forgotten in my last post that you had already booked. With a wedding involved it may be best booking direct.

You seem pretty well organised and I assume you have been through all the wedding info on the P&O website including the brochure download if you have not already got one.

Here is the link if you have not seen it

http://www.pocruises.com/wedding/index.asp

One bit of info for travelling out. In Barbados they operate a rapid transport to the ship. You come down the steps from the plane straight into a bus that takes you to the ship, which takes about 45mins. You do not go through immigration or wait for your luggage. Your luggage follows later but as a result it will be at least two hours before it appears in your cabin so if you fancy a swim in the pool pack your swimming gear in your hand luggage.

Brian

Thank you Brian, it's wonderful to see all the pictures, and the link you gave to the wedding thread is invaluable for a bride to be...you should get commission from P&O for being so helpful :)

That is an excellent piece of advice and also reminds me to maybe pack a light outfit or wear a light outfit with removable layers as I'm sure I'll be freezing in Manchester in Jan but boiling once we land!

excellent. Glad you were successful.

I think i would have booked direct too with a wedding to organise.

You can relax now you know your cabin is secure. The bigger balconies are great.

Here's a taste of what awaits you -jolly beach antigua, taken last month. :d

6471089645_c8bb515c38_b.jpg

u2! :eek:

That is amazing! It doesn't even look real...if that makes sense - it looks like a staged brochure picture. Its beautiful :) I may now have to make that my screen saver :p

Hi Carole,

Thank you for your welcome. I have so many questions though I think I may wear out my welcome if I ask them all!

I shall definitely register with the p and o forum. The wedding thread Brian posted was completely amazing and I shall definitely check out the individual ship thread.

I find so many things confusing. Especially about baggage and such which is a worry as obviously I will have all the standard clothing requirements plus wedding attire. It states on our booking it is 23kg max. per person. But is this in one bag? Also it says we have an extra 5kg per person as we have booked a wedding. I just don't know if we can only have one case per person, and one hand luggage. Its very easy to get it wrong!

It is 23k total per person but not necessarily all in one case, If I recall correctly you may take 2 pieces each for fly cruises. It does say in your brochure at the back I think. Standard case size easily fits 23k in. Yes, 1 piece of hand luggage each. The extra 5k for the wedding is a bit stingy!

That beach is really easy to get to by local bus. $2 I think. Stunning beach.

It is 23k total per person but not necessarily all in one case, If I recall correctly you may take 2 pieces each for fly cruises. It does say in your brochure at the back I think. Standard case size easily fits 23k in. Yes, 1 piece of hand luggage each. The extra 5k for the wedding is a bit stingy!

That beach is really easy to get to by local bus. $2 I think. Stunning beach.

I know U2! it means both me and my other half can have up to 27kg each in total, and both can have one piece of hand luggage no more than 5kg. Though we may both have 2 cases, totalling 27kg - is this right? I am do apologise if this should be perfectly simple but the wording from p an o is as clear as mud!

I don't mind either way as we had planned on a standard case each, one with regular attire and one with wedding/evening attire, then one piece of hand luggage with the essentials in....hopefully. I say hopefully because as a female I always reserve the right to over pack :p I might ask for a luggage scale for my Christmas present ;)

It looks fantastic and to be experiencing it all as our honeymoon....perfect I'd say :)

There were 2 weddings when we were on Ventura last year and they all seemed to be really pleased with the service.

Also check out the P & O forum. Go to the P & O site, click on community and then forum. Some really helpful tips etc in there from people and forums for each ship.

If you look here:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/flights/baggage_allowance

You will see a link to baggage allowances for the charter flights. Click on the link next to charter flights which opens as a PDF in Adobe. It does say 'any number of bags' totalling up to 23k.

I agree it is unnecessarily complicated. Thank heavens for CC! ;)

From what I've read on here the weight is strict flying from the UK. Not so strict flying back from Barbados.

We've only done Transatlantics, sailing out flying back and so far, no one weighs the cases in Barbados as they are taken from your cabin the night before departure and you don't see them again until you pick them up at the UK airport. You need the hand luggage for your overnight things so take your full allowance.

There were 16 weddings on our Ventura Transatlantic last year :)

It sounds really amazing and I am in awe of your cruise history :) you have been so many fantastic places and I see you have even done the Caribbean on Ventura - how did you find it?

Honestly we prefer Ventura to Azura although they are essentially the same ship. We like the larger ships like Ventura as you get greater choice of dining and entertainment venues. They can get a bit crowded on deck on sea days but we are not too bothered by that.

Here are some photos of out Caribbean cruise on Ventura but not too many of the actual ship in the album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/107693552597250328299/Carib10Photos#

There were 2 weddings when we were on Ventura last year and they all seemed to be really pleased with the service.

Also check out the P & O forum. Go to the P & O site, click on community and then forum. Some really helpful tips etc in there from people and forums for each ship.

Thanks LS :)

I have sent many mintues going through the wedding thread on P&O forums. I can honestly say that everyone appears to be extremely happy with the wedding packages done on board Ventura so I'm confident we will be too.

I think half the enjoyment comes from not having to stress at all, just asking for what you want and knowing the wedding planner will deal with making it happen is a big plus.

If you look here:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/flights/baggage_allowance

You will see a link to baggage allowances for the charter flights. Click on the link next to charter flights which opens as a PDF in Adobe. It does say 'any number of bags' totalling up to 23k.

I agree it is unnecessarily complicated. Thank heavens for CC! ;)

From what I've read on here the weight is strict flying from the UK. Not so strict flying back from Barbados.

We've only done Transatlantics, sailing out flying back and so far, no one weighs the cases in Barbados as they are taken from your cabin the night before departure and you don't see them again until you pick them up at the UK airport. You need the hand luggage for your overnight things so take your full allowance.

There were 16 weddings on our Ventura Transatlantic last year :)

Thank you for the link U2, that was much better at explaining things.

I think we would take our full allowance of 5kg hand luggage each but I had a feeling I can't have a hand luggage and my handbag which I'd be lost with out so I was going to get hubby 2 be have 'proper' hand luggage and me just have my normal mammoth handbag lol!

Honestly we prefer Ventura to Azura although they are essentially the same ship. We like the larger ships like Ventura as you get greater choice of dining and entertainment venues. They can get a bit crowded on deck on sea days but we are not too bothered by that.

Here are some photos of out Caribbean cruise on Ventura but not too many of the actual ship in the album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/107693552597250328299/Carib10Photos#

Your pictures are absolutely stunning - every island looks like paradise. I can't imagine anywhere more beautiful and romantic. I am so glad we went with a balcony cabin as the thought of dining with those sunsets before us is very enticing.

I am just sad it's over a year away!

Your pictures are absolutely stunning - every island looks like paradise. I can't imagine anywhere more beautiful and romantic. I am so glad we went with a balcony cabin as the thought of dining with those sunsets before us is very enticing.

Oh don't be sad its over a year away, just think of all that pleasure you will get from planning it and looking forward to it all, great!

Would you believe we are booked into cabin C223 on Azura at the end of this week? I feel sure you said earlier that is your cabin number on Ventura and as they are sister ships I think it will be the same as you have booked. We got upgraded to this cabin and were so pleased that we asked P&O not to upgrade us any more.

One tip I can give you is not to book the ship's excursions any more than you absolutely have to as they are usually expensive and almost always easy to do yourself. There will be heaps of taxis on the dock at each port of call and if you read the Ports forums you will get lots of good advice and ideas for what you would like to do. :)

Thanks, sunsets tend to be quite early in the Caribbean - about 6- 6:30 ish, usually around the time of the sailaway parties.

If you any info about the places you are visiting, let me know.

Oh yes, absolutely right U2! We're all packed and ready to go early hours of tomorrow - Azura here we come, yay!!! :D

I hope you have an absolutely fantastic trip, with great weather Essexlass. :)

We were in R222 so same position as you, higher deck, opposite side. We loved it there. Check out that loooooooong corridor as you walk towards the back for dinner lol!

Look forward to your return and hopefully, much better review than mine was :rolleyes:

Oh don't be sad its over a year away, just think of all that pleasure you will get from planning it and looking forward to it all, great!

Would you believe we are booked into cabin C223 on Azura at the end of this week? I feel sure you said earlier that is your cabin number on Ventura and as they are sister ships I think it will be the same as you have booked. We got upgraded to this cabin and were so pleased that we asked P&O not to upgrade us any more.

One tip I can give you is not to book the ship's excursions any more than you absolutely have to as they are usually expensive and almost always easy to do yourself. There will be heaps of taxis on the dock at each port of call and if you read the Ports forums you will get lots of good advice and ideas for what you would like to do. :)

Essexlass,

I think you will already be on your cruise by now but I couldn't not reply :) you are so right, I'm loving the planning stages - looking at all the ports recommendations is really fun but work gets in the way, lol!

Our room is c223 on Ventura! How weird you have the same room on the sister ship! Please do let me know how you find it :)

Mrs BB I am sure you will be a P&O expert by the time you board!

Here is a link to our video of Ventura to whet your appetite even more! :)

Thank you so much!

You are a complete star.... I think the planning will escalate month by month at this rate, lol! I am amazed at the ship itself, and don't think I will grasp the sheer size of it until I see it in person if you know what I mean :)

Thanks, sunsets tend to be quite early in the Caribbean - about 6- 6:30 ish, usually around the time of the sailaway parties.

If you any info about the places you are visiting, let me know.

Thank you for that, that is definitely good to know - I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else :)

I may be asking you lots once I've caught up with all the ports reviews ;)

Thank you!

I have never been to the caribbean before so I imagine it will be a fantastic experience! The only worry is becoming cruise addicts!

I swear you will love the caribbean........What a place to get married !! and on a beautiful ship xx

I swear you will love the caribbean........What a place to get married !! and on a beautiful ship xx

Thanks Stitichman! I couldn't agree more - the Caribbean seems like an ideal romantic get away with plenty of places to visit and explore.

Just had our wedding day confirmed today too - it's so exciting :)

• 6 months later...

Well, nearly 6 months to go! Cannot wait!

My dress is due to arrive in august for my first fitting.... It's took nearly 6 months to arrive and I have gone for a fairytale ballgown style - a grand dress for a grand ship!

4faf3618.jpg

The wedding team here were telling me a lot of brides whose ceremony falls on a formal night choose to stay in their dresses and the announce you as a couple in the main foyer/atrium - I love the idea but... Has anyone actually seen this? Are other cruisers welcoming of this?

I would hate to be made to feel odd or out of place on my wedding night

Archived