hop on hop off adventure in san juan

I'm looking at the itinerary for the Southern C. cruise out of San Juan and noticed that the ship doesn't leave until 8:30pm on Day 1. I was wondering if it's possible to check-in, put your stuff in your cabin (after 1pm of course) and get off the ship to sightsee until it's time for muster?

You will need to check the exact time for final boarding but yes you can do this. We had a very short day in San Juan last week and I will plan my next cruise out of there so I can spend at least a whole day there if not a couple.

PS You will need photo ID to reboard

We like to arrive at the ship early on departure day, explore the ship and enjoy the first day on the ship. After all, we are paying for that full first day, while you are not paying for the last day on which they boot you off.

When we left on the Adventure out of San Juan last year, we spent three days in San Juan pre-cruise -- it was fantastic, and then boarded the ship at 11:30 a.m. and enjoyed the first day on the cruise.

Let us know what you decide.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

We like to arrive at the ship early on departure day, explore the ship and enjoy the first day on the ship. After all, we are paying for that full first day, while you are not paying for the last day on which they boot you off.

When we left on the Adventure out of San Juan last year, we spent three days in San Juan pre-cruise -- it was fantastic, and then boarded the ship at 11:30 a.m. and enjoyed the first day on the cruise.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

We are arriving the day before but don't have the extra vacation days to take. Just trying to explore as much as we can. We took our first cruise on Voyager so we already have a feel for what is available on this ship.

So do you have to re-enter the main embarkation line to re-board the ship?

You re-enter through the terminal building but you bypass the lines for people waiting to check in. You have your seapass card already so you just go straight through.

Just returned from the AOS 11/27/11 Southern Caribbean Cruise and getting on the ship was a real hassle. We arrived at around noon and people were still waiting for cabs to leave the previous cruise, they hadn't even started letting new passangers onto the ship. It was only the second cruise of the season so maybe they will improve but of the 10 cruises we've taken this was the worst embarkation we've experienced.

From talking to other passengers it never got better. Those that arrived late in the day commented on how bad it was and suggested that if they got there earlier it might have been better, it wasn't.

Once on the ship we decided it was better just to stay put.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hi Gunther and Uta,

Not sure if this meets guidelines or should be moved to ports of calls, BUT

my family is planning 3-4 days pre cruise in San Juan also. January of 2013,

Just wondering what you did for the 3 day. I'm pretty sure Old Town, El Morro, possibly the Rain Forest, sunnying on beach/hotel.

Might you fill in any other ideas you did, if wrong place for this question, I can give you my e-mail (btw- besides me dw, dd 23 and DS 21....I'll be ahem....60):eek:

Archived