Just can't seem to find the right snorkel/sail excursion...please help!

ejkj84

We are a group of 6 looking for a snorkel/sail excursion from St. Thomas. Most of the ones I have found are private and only hold 6 people, but this gets pretty pricey. We are looking to spend about $70 a person or less for a 1/2 day or $100 a person or less for a full day, but we do not mind being on a bigger vessel if it cost less. Also we have already been to the "turtle cove" area, so would like to see a differnet snorkel spot, hopefully something off St. John. Is anything like this available, or do we just have to pay $125+ for the 6 person boats?

Thanks for your help!

We are a group of 6 looking for a snorkel/sail excursion from St. Thomas. Most of the ones I have found are private and only hold 6 people, but this gets pretty pricey. We are looking to spend about $70 a person or less for a 1/2 day or $100 a person or less for a full day, but we do not mind being on a bigger vessel if it cost less. Also we have already been to the "turtle cove" area, so would like to see a differnet snorkel spot, hopefully something off St. John. Is anything like this available, or do we just have to pay $125+ for the 6 person boats?

Thanks for your help!

You can give New Horizon day sail a try. They are a co. that takes out a large number of people a nomal tour is 75.00 p/p. Also check their web site they at times have discount coupons for cruise lines pass.

Used them years ago when our day sail tour belly up. It was OK if you like being with a group of around 26

. The day we went they over booked and took us all out. And we were the only one's from a cruise ship aboard and they forgot that we were aboard. needless to say we just made it back. They called a another boat to get us back to their pier to catch a taxi back to the ship. Made it just as the ship was departing the dock, Had to jump about six ft to get aboard

Would have been a fun tour if it did not have to many aboard

ran out of food and the drinks toward the end were very weak for they were running out of booze

Paul

Yes I was looking into the New Horizon sail. I was very interested until I learned it did not return until 4pm, and we have to be back on board by 4:30pm. I thought that would cut it too close. But yes, we are looking for something similiar to that, just maybe more geared towards cruise ship passangers.

Yes I was looking into the New Horizon sail. I was very interested until I learned it did not return until 4pm, and we have to be back on board by 4:30pm. I thought that would cut it too close. But yes, we are looking for something similiar to that, just maybe more geared towards cruise ship passangers.

What ship are you on? If it is the Victory.They like you be aboard at 4:30. he ship does not depart until 5PM. The taxi from the Red Hook area takes about 20 min. Also just inform the skipper of the time the ship departs.

On all of our day sails we arrived back at Red Hook around 4PM and never had any trouble except that time with New Horizon and they got back at 4:30

Paul

Just be aware that traffic can be brutal that time of day and a normal 20 - 25 minute taxi ride might take an hour. Make sure you are back to the Red Hook area by 3:30.

Thanks for your help!

When we were there we tried to go with Homer ,but he was closed and recommended his friends at Aqua Action dive in the Secret Harbor resort. Lou and I were the only 2 snorkeling and Diane (owner) took four divers .The capt. of the boat kept and eye on us. It did start sprinkling so when a catamaran came around they didn't stay to long. It was like having the whole place to ourselves.

Check out Island Marketing - stthomascruiseexcursions dot com - there is a catamaran snorkel tour to St. John for 70 pp. If there is an option on the 1/2 day - try to take the afternoon tour if time permits - it will be less crowded. Just my experience, that most people do their excursions in the AM then shop in the PM.

• 2 weeks later...

we did simplicity charters last week. It was more than the $70-100 that you mentioned you were looking for, but it was absolutely worth the extra cost to us. Just a bit more to have the comfort of a smaller and more personal experience. Also, to add to the poster who mentioned the traffic getting back to the port, Captain Charlie got us back to Redhook and had a taxi friend waiting for us at 3:15 and the traffic getting back was pretty bad, especially within sight of Havensight. We actually ended up getting out of the taxi and walking down the hill after sitting in traffic and not moving for about 10 minutes.

Archived