Cruising without your spouse

travelingtriumphess

We have never vacationed apart in 30 years , a cruise has always seemed like such a couples thing to me. But saying that we have cruised with friends / sisters that leave the husbands at home and cruise with us, of course one of them just got divorced :eek:

Interesting question... I am going on a short cruise with some girlfriends in a few weeks and I feel fine about going and DH has no problems. DH actually got DD and I a cruise for next May as our Christmas gift and he assures me he will be fine but I do have to say I feel a tad guilty leaving him behind but it's a busy time for him at work. The one thing I do worry about is being at these stops without DH, I have never worried about our safety much having him by my side on the islands however I have to admit I am a little worried about venturing off with just my daughter but we plan on hopefully hooking up with others on excursions and having a great Mom/Daughter cruise :)

I enjoy our mother/daughter cruises - it's not only a "girl" thing, but also gives us some special time together. I don't know where you guys are going, but we've wandered the port area of Nassau together, and on the other islands we do Carnival excursions. So far, we've both felt safe doing them. I hope you both have a wonderful time! What a good guy you're married to!

I could probably do a 3 or 4 day cruise without much guilt and I'm sure I would enjoy myself because I'd be able to do things DH wouldn't normally want to do so I skip. The husband wouldn't normally want to go on a short Bahamas jaunt anyway....

However, no way I would do any longer then that. DH LOVES cruising and I WOULD feel guilt cruising any longer then that without him. He's my cruise partner and it wouldn't be the same without him anyway...

I have cruised with my mom and sisters several times and my DH has no problems with it. Next March is my cruise with just a bunch of ladies and it was at his urging that I booked. It may have a lot to do with the fact that he spent 20+ years in the Marines so a week apart is no big deal for us. We are also in our late 50's and have been married 37 years; I think there are a lot of reasons that some people are more comfortable cruising separate from time to time. We also have a cruise scheduled as a family a few months later to celebrate our #5 sons graduation from college :D

I went on 2 cruises last year without my spouse and had ZERO GUILT. As a matter of fact, I had more fun on both of those cruises than I ever had on cruises that I went on with him.

hmmmm....that could be (1 reason) why we're no longer married .... :rolleyes:

I just about spit coffee all over my computer , I was reading along and was like oh well too each his own whatever works , then I read your last line . :)

Well my first one in 75 days will be with my DH. I've already got a girls one booked with my mom, and two girlfriends for next September. We're all married and will be traveling without our DHs. It's not the end of the world, he does things without me and I go and do without him on occasion. Not every trip has to be taken together. 2 of the DHs are not even interested in cruising, so this is a great way for all of us to experience it together. (It's only a 4 day cruise, not the end of the world)

Never cruised without DH, but have taken girls vacations- just my girlfriends and I heading to Miami (that was a fun week!! ;)), up to NYC or down to the ocean for a long weekends. He has taken guy trips without me as well (Myrtle beach for week long golf trips, AC for weekends, etc).

I trust him and he trusts me, so no issues there... and if given the opportunity I would go on a cruise without him. No guilt at all...I think I would feel more guilty over leaving my kids for the week then I would for leaving DH...;)

I'm actually going on a ladies weekend cruise in Januray w/ my mom, her 2 sisters, and their 3 daughters. The husbands/boyfriends were a little unhappy at first that they were not invited..but it's like this..we don't complain and make a stink when they go on their week long hunting trips every year, so they really have no right to put up a fight when we want to go on a girls weekend cruise every couple years. lol We are counting down the days (39) until we board the Norwegian Sky for 4 days of sun and relaxation.

Edited by beachgalMA

I've always had more vacation time than DW. I would turn a one week vacation into two, and she would join me on the second week. Got harder when I had 5 weeks, and she still had two. :D

And ever since DD was born, she and I have always had one week away without DW, and look forward to it every year.

I did a 4-day with some girlfriends and left DH at home. Granted a month later he was going to Maui to do a Tiger Cruise with his brother in the Navy. So I was more upset because he was going to Hawaii WITHOUT me. But then again, he was only there for a day and then got on the ship so he didn't get to see too much..... he he he he

...And ever since DD was born, she and I have always had one week away without DW, and look forward to it every year.

Good for you! That is very cool! Family time and husband/wife time is very important, but not a lot of Dads realize how special it is to a child to have Dad time. I'm almost 60, but still remember a special day when I was 9 and my Dad took just me (Mom stayed home) out for the day. I got Mom time, but boy that Dad time was precious!

As to feeling guilty, I think every family is different...I have no problem with my DH enjoying trips or time away from me and vice versa. We've been married a long time (almost 40 years) and in the overall scheme of things, a week apart isn't very much :D!

We are doing a "Girl's Only" cruise with 10 amazing women in Feb . One of them is my MIL who will be 80 the day we leave. It is a BD cruise for 3 of us, (I will turn 50 when we are out). While DH is not that happy about it - he gets it. Some of these women have not seen each other on 10 years. we are going to have a blast and will be better off in our off ship lives because we had the chance to reconnect and just be together

Hi,

This will be the third cruise I've taken. The last two my husband and I went on. This next one will be with my daughters and their friend. I guess I really want to enjoy cruising with my daughters (just the girls)

I guess I'm feeling a little guilty. How many of you girls would or have taken a cruise without your spouse?

How many of you guys would mind your spouses taking one "solo" with friends or family?

T. Umphess

As long as you wouldn't mind the spouse going with the Boys somewhere on a guys only adventure, i guess it would be even!

For the past 3 years I have taken a President's Week cruise with my special needs dd23. My wonderful dh gave this to me as a mother's day gift once, and it became a tradition. He can't go, as it is his tax season. I was very stressed out the first time I went - dd23 has a minor seizure disorder and other special needs, and I was scared to handle all her needs for a week by myself. However, it all worked out, and she looks forward to this "mom and me" special time without her sister, who is a junior at UConn, and doesn't have this week off to cruise with us. I cry each time dh leaves me at the airport for the flight to Florida, and miss him horribly, but I e-mail him each night using the cruise internet, and call him when we port. It has really made me realize I can do pretty much anything by myself, and he has realized he CAN do laundry, feed the cat, pay the bills - things I normally do for him!:)

My husband does not and will not travel. I put up with it for a long time but I really wanted to do something. So 2 years ago I just told him that I was going to book a cruise for me and DD and he said go ahead. I asked him to come and said NO. So my DD and I went and had a blast. She was 20 at the time. Her and I had gone to Florida for a week every year because she used to play softball and spring training was in Florida. That really wasn't a vacation so this cruise was our first real vacation. I missed my husband a lot but I had to do this for me and DD. we had so much fun that we are going agin in a few weeks. Woohooo I thinking missing each other is a good thing. You appreciate each other more when you see each other again. Love him to death just wish he would come!]

My grandparents were so different. One set worked forever as a teacher and man of the mail and they really did amazingly well and traveled on quite a few trips of a lifetime before they could not. Together..ones that replaced getting married in a fever...(which I love) when he was a coffee salesman and having to stay in these bring your own sheets places of the twenties..and they did save the amount their parents said they had to before this adventure...hard times...

My other grandparents were 'more successful" with more traveling funds but one..grandfather..just did not like it. He traveled for business with my grandma and once a year they drove to Socal for a month...my grandma died at 97.5 with far lees trips than she would have liked. And did not on her own the last 20 years she was single....we has an Arizona adventure I am glad she did with me..and then she just did little weekends in Montana with her friends.

My folks rarely go alone but winter together without family stress in their own little snowbird Tuscon place..instead. They do a trippy trip with each grandchild at 12...and say their oldest (moi) gets a Hawaii cruise with them next time after last grandchild trip..because there were some trippy trips after i left home i missed out on....we will see how health and money hold out. We have a family cabin here and they a trailer in Tuscon...so that has been the MO for travel...not like all the time travelers...each finds their choice and pace.

Do what you can and works with your relationships...NO GUILT. the saddest thing is to not have the memories you wanted to build together, alone, and in different combos with different friends..and I am not talking about different partners other than the main two here:). But the relationships that need something...the BFF single friend etc.

I am most touched by the couples who can not go without each other..do it as much as you can..and cultivate a relationship that works with an adult child or friend if one ends up alone and travel is still in your blood and you do not want to go with someone and then maybe alone..so you can keep on keeping on.

Many solos and newly widowed were able to go on Alaskan cruises alone and get both succor and solitude...I noticed this pattern when living in Portland and had one older male friend who really got through things with that first trip alone...love to all...Sarah

Edited by sjn911