Would you notify the cruise line if you had to cancel last min?

Rahi

So, CruisinChris412, I'm trying to make sense out of what you are actually saying in your last sentence of your last paragraph. Do you mean you will show up ON TIME the next time you cruise with RCCL?

I meant that I won't be spending my money with RCCL. It's highly unlikely that I will go on an RCCL cruise ever again. Then again, if someone offered to pay for my fare, then I might cruise with RCCL again.

Am I the only person who would contact the rollcall?

what about friends you are traveling with or meeting? if you just dont show up and dont call thats rude.

For me that would all depend. It would have to be something pretty devastating for me to miss a cruise.

I don't "meet" anyone so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

If it was I had to cancel and it wasn't death or sickness, I would cancel all of my travel plans; hotel, air, cruise, outside excursions (although so far I just book them through NCL). I would be online and therefore my roll call would know as well.

If it was due to sickness or death, honestly, then my roll call would probably suffer. I have an itinerary with places and phone numbers on well before my trip and I have a very good family support system. So one of my family members would take the cancellations on for me, if I had more priority things to deal with. Of course since my CC account would not be on that list they would probably be forgotten. Once my brain became functional again I would probably post an apology online and hoped they would understand I had other more pressing things on my mind.

Most times I book non-refundable hotels, air and of course NCL. If I had to cancel, as I said it would have to be for a serious reason and I truthfully wouldn't care who was double dipping.

I understand why NCL has the cancellation policy set up like it is. If you cancel close enough to your sail, the chance of them reselling your cabin gets slimmer as it gets closer to sail. I don't fault them for that, they are a business and therefore a business has to make money to survive JMO. And I don't begrudge them that. I know what the cancellation policy is before I put down my deposit, if I don't like the terms I don't purchase the product.

My decision to call all of my committments is not "moral" or "ethical" or anything else, it is not about who loses and who gains. In all honesty, I wouldn't think about the lucky person to get a sale on my once cabin, I wouldn't think about workers who may lose out without my going. I do it because it was the way I was raised to take committments seriously and to notify those affected by cancelling those committments.

And to those doubters, yes I have lived long enough and dealt with enough in my life time to know ahead of time exactly what I would do in this situation.

I understand why NCL has the cancellation policy set up like it is. If you cancel close enough to your sail, the chance of them reselling your cabin gets slimmer as it gets closer to sail. I don't fault them for that, they are a business and therefore a business has to make money to survive JMO. And I don't begrudge them that. I know what the cancellation policy is before I put down my deposit, if I don't like the terms I don't purchase the product.

My thoughts exactly, particularly that last part! You agree to the cancellation policy when you book the cruise and make your final payment. Just because you decide it's not fair when it actually affects you doesn't mean it shouldn't apply to you.

Would it be nice to get something back if they were able to resell your cabin? Sure. But you won't, and you agreed to that arrangement. To take "revenge" on NCL for applying policy you agreed to is childish and selfish, IMO. So is asking for opinions in a public forum, then becoming defensive and insulting when majority opinion differs from yours.

I would notify NCL.

I always try to call if I know I won't make it. That way I can get my non-refundable ticket set up as a credit for a future flight...generally less the $150 change fee it costs to re-use it. Do you just walk away from that ticket? Believe me, I appreciate the no-shows on flights :)

You are assuming you have something to gain. Let's say the ticket was $99 on airtran (or whatever). The change fee is $150 (which it is). There is no future credit if you change it. In fact, if you change it to another date, it will cost you /more/ to change it because of the change fee. Do you walk away from that ticket ? Absolutely. . . .

Now no-shows - yes. I appreciate them as well as I'm a frequent business traveller and have been there on standby waiting for the 15 minute cattle call.

We had a cruise booked, and a few days before the cruise, DW took a tumble down the stairs and broke a hip among other things, and we had to cancel. No insurance, but I called NCL and informed them knowing that I was not entitled to any refund.

We also had another cruise booked the following month on NCL, and after many arguments with the surgeon, we got him to allow her to go on that one.

Upon boarding, we were surrounded by "kids" asking where we were last month and what happened.

To make a long story short, we were moved to a HC cabin with a balcony and were treated very well.

I guess what goes around comes around !!! I feel being fair and considerate comes back to you.

Actually yes. I think I've missed a few non-refundable flights I couldn't make and I don't remember calling the airline to tell them I couldn't make it. Actually happens quite a bit. The airline will (if they need to and you don't show up within 15min of the gate) give the seat to standby passengers anyhow. Hotels generally have a more generous cancellation policy where you can call them beforehand and they won't charge you or charge you a single night over the entire stay. If that is the case, then there certainly is an incentive for you to call. However, heavily discounted hotels in resort/holiday times are frequently "non-refundable".

I've had concert tickets and if I coulnd't find someone else to go and use them, I haven't called the box office up to let them re-sell it either. Though for some collegiate events that I'm an alumni at, I have called them and "turned the ticket back in" for them to resell.

So it goes both ways. If there is an incentive - then more people might. But if they don't give you any incentive to, then there is going to be less "participation" in that area.

I don't call airlines to tell them I can't make it, if the ticket is non refundable, and it is really the only type of tickets we fly with.

And if the hotel will not give us our money back less than 24 hrs, or if you book with Priceline/Hotwire you don't get anything back right after your reserve..(same with rental cars), I would not call them.

You are RIGHT- it is about incentive.

I don't call airlines to tell them I can't make it, if the ticket is non refundable, and it is really the only type of tickets we fly with.

And if the hotel will not give us our money back less than 24 hrs, or if you book with Priceline/Hotwire you don't get anything back right after your reserve..(same with rental cars), I would not call them.

You are RIGHT- it is about incentive.

Non-refundable doesn't mean non-reusable. I always buy non-ref airline tickets, but currently have a couple of unused credits associated with my frequent flyer profile which can be re-used for the simple payment of a fee.

Interesting that you would just walk away from this.

Non-refundable doesn't mean non-reusable. I always buy non-ref airline tickets, but currently have a couple of unused credits associated with my frequent flyer profile which can be re-used for the simple payment of a fee.

Interesting that you would just walk away from this.

Depends on the ticket. For something like Southwest, it might be non-refundable but they have value going forward. For something like United, Airtran, American, etc, etc - if the ticket value is less than the change fee - there is no residual value left in the ticket once the change fee is applied (it actually costs more to change than book a new one).

But as he and I both mentioned - if there is an incentive (like value left over) than people will change/cancel/notify/etc. If there is NO VALUE left over - then there really is little incentive to do so. It's like priceline/hotwire hotels - cancelling gives you no benefit and you can't change/move/rebook/etc.

it is about incentive.

Perhaps for some people it is and also perhaps the word "incentive" means different things to different people. It's just sad to think that those same people think it should be for all.

Some as pointed out get their incentive from what they financially will gain or lose.

Some as pointed out get their incentive from their "morals", "values", "etiquette beliefs" or whatever.

Others may get their incentive from thinking they may help their fellow citizen by allowing someone else to book at a good price that may otherwise not have had the opportunity.

I personally just think it is the right thing to do for me. My gain or incentive always comes from within.

I truly don't think anyone is right or wrong if they can look themselves in the mirror and be satisified with who is looking back at them.

You asked a question "Would you notify the cruise line if you had to cancel last min?" I think you got an overwhelming resonse on here, that those who posted would notify the cruise line. That doesn't mean that is the majority of thinking as I'm sure some just would not come right out and admit they wouldn't, some may not care to voice an opinion, some may not care period,some may not even know unless they have been in that position.

I would notify the cruise line but wouldn't it be nice if the cruise line would allow us to swap out the trip we couldn't make for another cruise? Im thinking a last minute cruise that is NOT sold out.

Well if we are starting a wouldn't it be nice list. I vote for at least allowing the passenger to offer their cruise to someone else to go in their place.

Well if we are starting a wouldn't it be nice list. I vote for at least allowing the passenger to offer their cruise to someone else to go in their place.

Agreed. That would be the most equitable. Forget refunds if rooms are sold, etc, etc. Just allowing the ticket to be used by friends or family if you can't make it would level things out that enough that it wouldn't seem like the cruise line was trying to double dip, etc, etc.

That being said - it brings a whole slew of other problems if they allow that. The reason they don't is probably related to travel agents who block out large sections of rooms and then are able to change passengers as they please when they please. . . I know quite a few large travel agent groups already play games with certain cruise lines by locking out suites until final payment because they /might/ have a client that might take a suite and its beneficial for them to do this.

Agreed. That would be the most equitable. Forget refunds if rooms are sold, etc, etc. Just allowing the ticket to be used by friends or family if you can't make it would level things out that enough that it wouldn't seem like the cruise line was trying to double dip, etc, etc.

That being said - it brings a whole slew of other problems if they allow that. The reason they don't is probably related to travel agents who block out large sections of rooms and then are able to change passengers as they please when they please. . . I know quite a few large travel agent groups already play games with certain cruise lines by locking out suites until final payment because they /might/ have a client that might take a suite and its beneficial for them to do this.

Bummer, OK I didn't think of that or think the whole thing through carefully, just a thought. I just figure logistically speaking it would probably mean a lot less headaches that some's wish list of giving customers a refund if the cabin was resold.

Bummer, OK I didn't think of that or think the whole thing through carefully, just a thought. I just figure logistically speaking it would probably mean a lot less headaches that some's wish list of giving customers a refund if the cabin was resold.

No, you are 100% correct there. It makes a lot of sense. Just realistically there might be an unintended fallout from doing so. Look at the number of rooms that "magically" appear after final payment - those are blocks of rooms that were "held" by travel operators thinking they could book them and then turned back to the cruise line. .. They do this already and just book random names into suite rooms. When the real pax want the room, they immediately release the old room and re-book. Unless you knew the room was becoming available, it is/was for all intents and purposes just rebooked (because they can't change the name). Of course, this doesn't happen after final payment but before that happens - all sorts of games are played.

Maybe this is worthwhile considering? What if the TA and the cruise lines kept a list of passengers who tried booking but the ship was sold out? Could the TA and the cruise line not keep a 'wait-list' of potential passengers and advise them of a cancellation, when and what type of cabin became available? Just a thought.

About 15 years or so ago our friends father passed away a day or two before they were to sail. Carnival allowed them to go on another cruise, however they were limited, they had to wait until the last minute and for a ship that wasn't sold out. They also had to show the death certificate, Im guessing so that they reserved this consideration for those who had no choice but to cancel their original cruise. I thought that was a win-win for the cruise line and for our friends.

Am I the only one who agrees with Rahi? I know that by booking a cruise I am agreeing to all of NCL's policies, refund policy included, BUT that doesn't mean that those policies are perfect and should never be challenged! At the very least, people who have to cancel their cruise at the last minute should get at LEAST a partial refund IF NCL is able to re-book the cabin. I think this is totally fair, and would still net NCL more $! I definitely don't think they should be entitled to a full refund - in that case people would constantly book and cancel cruises, and be a huge headache for the company to sort out - but emergencies DO happen and I don't think their is any reason to charge someone the full price of a vacation they won't get to enjoy IF the cruise line is able to fill the cabin - that just seems a little to harsh of a penatly to me....

Am I the only one who agrees with Rahi? I know that by booking a cruise I am agreeing to all of NCL's policies, refund policy included, BUT that doesn't mean that those policies are perfect and should never be challenged! At the very least, people who have to cancel their cruise at the last minute should get at LEAST a partial refund IF NCL is able to re-book the cabin. I think this is totally fair, and would still net NCL more $! I definitely don't think they should be entitled to a full refund - in that case people would constantly book and cancel cruises, and be a huge headache for the company to sort out - but emergencies DO happen and I don't think their is any reason to charge someone the full price of a vacation they won't get to enjoy IF the cruise line is able to fill the cabin - that just seems a little to harsh of a penatly to me....

I can't speak for rahi, but are you sure that is what rahi believes in ? I'm not so sure, but I'll let him speak. I believe the rules/regs are what they are and you follow them when you undertake the contract. Would it be nice if they "gave you a cut" if you rebooked ? Sure. Would it be nice if they allowed passengers to be changed so that someone you knew could take the cruise - sure. Would it be nice if they repaid you in full since they have taken their initial allotted revenue ? sure ? Would it be nice if they paid you to go on a cruise - sure would as well.

What I am saying (and I /think/ he agrees) is that IF there was an incentive to do something then more people will do it. /IF/ there is NO incentive to do something (and their is no moral right or wrong here) - then people are less likely to do so. Since there is no incentive, then there isn't a real reason to even deal with it. To me at least - that doesn't translate to that I believe the ship should grant you a cut or that you deserve a cut. But since there is no cut, there is no incentive. But just because there isn't an incentive doesn't mean that I think I deserve one "at the least" because they rebook or that they should. There is nothing to be gained (but perhaps something to be gained by the other side) by me from notifying them and therefore its neither here nor there.

Am I the only one who agrees with Rahi?

Nope there might be 2 or 3 of you actually.

I know that by booking a cruise I am agreeing to all of NCL's policies, refund policy included, BUT that doesn't mean that those policies are perfect and should never be challenged!

Well you are not alone in your thought process either. Most think they can "challenge" company policies of a company someone else owns, operates or runs. I totally disagree with this, at least not the way people go about it. You don't own the company or pay their bills. The true way of challenging a company is to not sign on the bottom line. Your money and patronage is their incentive to make or break policies. If you don't like a company's policies or the way they run their business don't give them yours.

I don't think I read one person that said they liked NCL's policy on this, some said they lived with it, others could understand the logistics or reasoning it was put in place, but no one said they thought it was great.

Many people try and change others (people and companies), when truly the only person you fully have control over is yourself. Don't agree with it, don't sail with them, it's pretty simple.

I can't speak for rahi, but are you sure that is what rahi believes in ? I'm not so sure, but I'll let him speak. I believe the rules/regs are what they are and you follow them when you undertake the contract. Would it be nice if they "gave you a cut" if you rebooked ? Sure. Would it be nice if they allowed passengers to be changed so that someone you knew could take the cruise - sure. Would it be nice if they repaid you in full since they have taken their initial allotted revenue ? sure ? Would it be nice if they paid you to go on a cruise - sure would as well.

What I am saying (and I /think/ he agrees) is that IF there was an incentive to do something then more people will do it. /IF/ there is NO incentive to do something (and their is no moral right or wrong here) - then people are less likely to do so. Since there is no incentive, then there isn't a real reason to even deal with it. To me at least - that doesn't translate to that I believe the ship should grant you a cut or that you deserve a cut. There is nothing to be gained (but perhaps something to be gained by the other side).

Yes, I agree with what you think , I think , lol. I had a thought, I know what the cruise lines can start to do-- if you are a no-show without telling them, you have to pay a type of no-show fee. :eek:

Yes, I agree with what you think , I think , lol. I had a thought, I know what the cruise lines can start to do-- if you are a no-show without telling them, you have to pay a type of no-show fee. :eek:

There already is a no show fee - its called the entire first night, second night, third night, fourth night, fifth night - oh whatever - the entire length of time you previously committed to and paid for :-).

There already is a no show fee - its called the entire first night, second night, third night, fourth night, fifth night - oh whatever - the entire length of time you previously committed to and paid for :-).

your right!

I'm going to pose another question - what if you called the cruise line to say you weren't going to make it, but the next day circumstances change and you all of a sudden could. Does the cruise line still grant you your space since you paid for it ????? How would you feel since you've paid for your room and now you can't go because you called in - and now things have changed and you can ?

Edit - there is no refund to you since they have rebooked and they don't refund double booked rooms. .. .

That does bring up another scenario - does NCL /actually/ rebook rooms that are cancelled by people calling in ? Theoretically they've already gained by taking a cruise without anyone consuming any consumables onboard but they have lost out on potential alcohol/etc sales.. . But what of the above scenario ?

They would need to give me back something , anything, a dollar even!

And they would. Taxes and port charges are *always* refundable. They can't tax you for something that you didn't use. They can't collect a port charge for someone who never went to the port. That's certainly a good reason to notify them.

And if you couldn't go because of a tragedy that was beyond your control, then it is "possible" that the cruiseline may offer you some sort of future credit. Even though they would not be obligated to do so.

Archived