Would you notify the cruise line if you had to cancel last min?

Rahi

IMO it is just common courtesy to advise NCL if any changes needed to be made to my reservation, such as not being able to sail for any reason whatsoever. I would not feel comfortable not showing up without notifying the company. Then again, I try to incorporate the common courtesty aspect in all facets of life! :)

I borrowed an e-book from the library, which gave me a 21 day 'hold' on the book while it was checked-out.

Because the read was so easy, I was done in 2 days.

Should I leave it on my ipad until the 21 days expires, or 'return' it so that someone else can check it out?

I returned it. Why? Because I've been on the other side of that waiting list, and would have appreciated someone else doing the same thing.

In this case, you've already spent the money...there's no reasonable reason not to advise the ship.

Maybe instead of offering to give you money back, they should institute a no-show penalty of $500/cabin.

That would cover the service charges (read: pay) which the crew would have to forego, and would give the ship some of its lost profits from on-board spend because you chose to prevent them from attempting to mitigate their losses.

Selfish is an understatement.

Would you notify the cruise line if you had to cancel last min?

God forbid this happens.. but, I have to be honest , I would not. If I was going to lose all my money, I would not want to give them any chance of rebooking that room for even more money.

Interesting choice of words for someone who goes on to make it all about themselves. Just saying.

[end of preaching/] ;)

I love the guy who complains about customer service after showing up late on sailing day. This is the a--hole you see on those travel reality shows. The airline/ cruise ship has to bend over backwards for them even though they screwed up. That's why I wouldn't be able to work in customer relations. I would tell this guy in this thread to take a hike. Maybe another cruise line will hold your hand through the process when you miss the ship.

some people have the attitude that if they cant have something , then noone else should have it either. its sad

It is something I paid for , for that week, something I "rented" for that week, to do with as I like ..UNLESS NCL wanted to give me some of my money back.

It is something I paid for , for that week, something I "rented" for that week, to do with as I like ..UNLESS NCL wanted to give me some of my money back.

To answer your question I would also absolutely inform them...For all the reasons folks have posted...But I am curious why you have not addressed the travel insurance question...This seems to take care of the issue.. The company has a right (and an obligation to thier shareholders) to make money so I think the policy is fair..I can only imagine the administrative nightmare to keep track of trying to refund SOME people whose rooms were sold vs not..and IMAGINE the mayhem when someone gets reimbursed and another last minute canceller does not.....I have a feeling you would feel equally put out that YOUR cabin was not the one resold...

I am hoping that you see general opinion is still to do the right thing, to be courteous, to not be vindictive, to believe in karma and that what goes around comes around.....

Maybe NCL can make sure you feel like you are using your rental space and charge you the service charge everyday. ;)

To answer your question I would also absolutely inform them...For all the reasons folks have posted...But I am curious why you have not addressed the travel insurance question...This seems to take care of the issue.. The company has a right (and an obligation to thier shareholders) to make money so I think the policy is fair..I can only imagine the administrative nightmare to keep track of trying to refund SOME people whose rooms were sold vs not..and IMAGINE the mayhem when someone gets reimbursed and another last minute canceller does not.....I have a feeling you would feel equally put out that YOUR cabin was not the one resold...

I am hoping that you see general opinion is still to do the right thing, to be courteous, to not be vindictive, to believe in karma and that what goes around comes around.....

I have just never bothered with insurance. If I could not make a cruise the person going with me , could take someone else, etc. So it would never be wasted money. These are usually all from NYC. my sister won't fly. When I go any where with huband, we usually do land trips, he hates cruises.

In all seriousness you all seem like good people. But I really do wonder if you would all follow what you are saying on this. Say you were in a higher cabin , should NCL make 8k on my room?, and if they do, I want a piece of that. For all of you that are in a cabin that is 1k or so, that is not something that would even bother me to lose to be honest.

In all seriousness you all seem like good people. But I really do wonder if you would all follow what you are saying on this. .

YES !!! I have forfeited a cruise, and would happily do it again if the circumstances warranted it. YES !!! I did notify NCL so they could re-sell the cabin if they chose to do so, and it made me feel DA-- GOOD to do it.

Some of us have different ideas about life and I am content with mine !!

Sounds like you should trash your cabin every day cuz you paid a $12 service fee.

Make sure you take a heaping plate from The Chocolate Buffet and don't eat it cuz you paid for it.

Hog a chair cuz you paid for it.:rolleyes:

In all seriousness you all seem like good people. But I really do wonder if you would all follow what you are saying on this. Say you were in a higher cabin , should NCL make 8k on my room?, and if they do, I want a piece of that. For all of you that are in a cabin that is 1k or so, that is not something that would even bother me to lose to be honest.

Have to agree here. If you paid for the cabin, you can do as you see fit. If I pay for a 2nd seat on an airline, it's my seat and I can do as I see fit as well. Who knows - maybe I want to hold onto it because I can't make the first few days and I might fly into Cozumel/St Maarten/St Thomas/Rome/etc and catch up with it later and take the cruise later. A real hassle no less but it is within my means and possibilities it time/schedule/etc work out.. . So yes, its in each others right to do so whether or not they inform the cruise line. I dont' believe there is a "right" or a "wrong" here and I'm not advocating for each to do what they want. However, I don't think you can say "informing the cruise line" is the "right" thing to do or wrong thing to do.

That being said - I really wonder how many really say they will and actually really do. I know there will be a few, but we are talking a fairly large demographic here which appears to lean toward "big corporations" not allowed to make more profit (or additional profit). How many threads do we have on NCL cheating me here/there, not paying fair living wages, "Ridiculous bar" charges, corkage fees, and how to get around such charges. So you do wonder, how many of those who feel that way would give NCL another chance to double dip on something they have already paid for.

And yes, while a resale resulting in a refund to the original room might be more "fair" to the original cruise, the logistical nightmare might be a disaster. It does frequently happen in apartment leases where you are on the hook until they can re-lease it out minue some charges, etc - but that is a much smaller number to deal with and the durations are longer.

I should note, that a refund does seem to happen to certain travel partners that book rooms in "blocks" if they are resold. I have seen CAS rooms that have a room charge to a particular card (you see the last four digits of card used but no name), then a refund and then my room charge (ports/NCF). So CAS or somebody must have cancelled and a refund to card was made. But I doubt this happens to non-CAS rooms.

I would think that if someone who booked a cruise was unable to sail and informed the cruiseline after final payment but before embarkation, and the cruiseline was able to rebook the cabin, it would not be unreasonable to expect the cruiseline reimburse the individual who originally booked the cabin for some protion of their cost. It seems to me that the cruiseline would otherwise be "double dipping", selling the same cabin twice. I have no doubt, however, that the cruiseline in under no legal obligation to do this. But, as many have pointed out here, that telling the cruisleine you are going to cancel is the "right" thing to do, it would also be the "right" thing for the cruiseline to help minimize the loss to the customer. If they cannot resell the cabin, they certainly have no moral obligation to return any money.

I would think that if someone who booked a cruise was unable to sail and informed the cruiseline after final payment but before embarkation, and the cruiseline was able to rebook the cabin, it would not be unreasonable to expect the cruiseline reimburse the individual who originally booked the cabin for some protion of their cost. It seems to me that the cruiseline would otherwise be "double dipping", selling the same cabin twice. I have no doubt, however, that the cruiseline in under no legal obligation to do this. But, as many have pointed out here, that telling the cruisleine you are going to cancel is the "right" thing to do, it would also be the "right" thing for the cruiseline to help minimize the loss to the customer. If they cannot resell the cabin, they certainly have no moral obligation to return any money.

And the cruiseline does refund some up to a point. From final up to 30 days before you only lose the deposit. 29-8 days before 50%. 7 or less 100%. Those seem to reflect the better chances to rebook the cabin.

But, as many have pointed out here, that telling the cruisleine you are going to cancel is the "right" thing to do, it would also be the "right" thing for the cruiseline to help minimize the loss to the customer.

I disagree with this part. They have the policy in place for a reason. If their philosophy was to help the customer minimize the loss, then they would be dealing with cancellations and refunds ALL THE TIME.

And the cruiseline does refund some up to a point. From final up to 30 days before you only lose the deposit. 29-8 days before 50%. 7 or less 100%. Those seem to reflect the better chances to rebook the cabin.

I did not know that--I just assumed after final payment you were out of luck-you lost all of your money. You could argue about the exact numbers, but this approach seems fair to me. Thanks for making me aware of this,

Have to agree here. If you paid for the cabin, you can do as you see fit. If I pay for a 2nd seat on an airline, it's my seat and I can do as I see fit as well. Who knows - maybe I want to hold onto it because I can't make the first few days and I might fly into Cozumel/St Maarten/St Thomas/Rome/etc and catch up with it later and take the cruise later. A real hassle no less but it is within my means and possibilities it time/schedule/etc work out.. . So yes, its in each others right to do so whether or not they inform the cruise line. I dont' believe there is a "right" or a "wrong" here and I'm not advocating for each to do what they want. However, I don't think you can say "informing the cruise line" is the "right" thing to do or wrong thing to do.

That being said - I really wonder how many really say they will and actually really do. I know there will be a few, but we are talking a fairly large demographic here which appears to lean toward "big corporations" not allowed to make more profit (or additional profit). How many threads do we have on NCL cheating me here/there, not paying fair living wages, "Ridiculous bar" charges, corkage fees, and how to get around such charges. So you do wonder, how many of those who feel that way would give NCL another chance to double dip on something they have already paid for.

And yes, while a resale resulting in a refund to the original room might be more "fair" to the original cruise, the logistical nightmare might be a disaster. It does frequently happen in apartment leases where you are on the hook until they can re-lease it out minue some charges, etc - but that is a much smaller number to deal with and the durations are longer.

I should note, that a refund does seem to happen to certain travel partners that book rooms in "blocks" if they are resold. I have seen CAS rooms that have a room charge to a particular card (you see the last four digits of card used but no name), then a refund and then my room charge (ports/NCF). So CAS or somebody must have cancelled and a refund to card was made. But I doubt this happens to non-CAS rooms.

I said I would notify NCL and I will assure you that I would. I want my cruiseline of choice to be profitable and stay in business of course, but my motivation is my own moral compass.

I said I would notify NCL and I will assure you that I would. I want my cruiseline of choice to be profitable and stay in business of course, but my motivation is my own moral compass.

Donna - thats great. But I'm not passing moral judgement either way on whether you are "right" or "wrong" for notifying the cruise line. I don't think its morally right or morally wrong. . . . I think people on here are leaning toward saying its "morally right" and following that - but I fail to see how its morally right or wrong. . . .

To the OP...do you all the car/life insurance company and act them to refund your premium payments because you didn't need the coverage? Take out travel insurance, then you have nothing to worry about if you have to cancel for any reason. It's not expensive in comparison to the price of your vacation.

And YES I would call the cruiseline if I was not able to sail "at the last min."

Sounds like you should trash your cabin every day cuz you paid a $12 service fee.

Make sure you take a heaping plate from The Chocolate Buffet and don't eat it cuz you paid for it.

Hog a chair cuz you paid for it.:rolleyes:

lol, what ever!

To the OP...do you all the car/life insurance company and act them to refund your premium payments because you didn't need the coverage? Take out travel insurance, then you have nothing to worry about if you have to cancel for any reason. It's not expensive in comparison to the price of your vacation.

And YES I would call the cruiseline if I was not able to sail "at the last min."

Have never bought trip insurance and doubt I ever will. Have I needed to cancel trips before (not a cruise, but others ) ? yes - and have extricated myself reasonably well. Have I suffered losses for trips I've not made ? sure. But if you want to take insurance - great. If you don't - fine as well. Essentially if you don't take insurance, you're self insuring that if you miss you're on the hook for it. . .

It's an additional cost. If one feels that that additional cost is worth it - great. But its interesting to note - insurance is like additional overhead. yes it comes in handy when needed (which is why its called insurance), but if its not needed - it's additional overhead that you just gave away. . ..

Archived