Would you notify the cruise line if you had to cancel last min?

Rahi

Rahi,

If a situation, such as cancelling a cruise at the last minute should arise, the question is not " should I call the cruise line?" but rather " hey, let's call the TA or the cruise line so someone else can go on that cruise!".

What does one personally gain by calling the TA or the cruise line Rahi?

Answer: A lot.

Here's how:

A: First we would call our TA (whether we booked direct with the cruise line or not). TA's usually have a list of contacts with the cruise lines that are not always available to the general public.

B: The TA or the cruise line, may have been able to locate clients who would be willing to take over your booking at the last minute, although there may have been a small fee payable for name changes etc., but that's minor compared to losing your entire cruise payment.

C: You'd feel good knowing you helped someone else going on a cruise, and you'd still have your cruise fare to book your next cruise.

Have never bought trip insurance and doubt I ever will. Have I needed to cancel trips before (not a cruise, but others ) ? yes - and have extricated myself reasonably well. Have I suffered losses for trips I've not made ? sure. But if you want to take insurance - great. If you don't - fine as well. Essentially if you don't take insurance, you're self insuring that if you miss you're on the hook for it. . .

It's an additional cost. If one feels that that additional cost is worth it - great. But its interesting to note - insurance is like additional overhead. yes it comes in handy when needed (which is why its called insurance), but if its not needed - it's additional overhead that you just gave away. . ..

I agree. My husband owns an insurance agency, and always says I should not get insurance for my trips, and he knows the cost involved for each cruise I book. I am ahead of the game by far for never having bought travel insurance. IF I lost money in a trip, so be it.

Rahi,

If a situation, such as cancelling a cruise at the last minute should arise, the question is not " should I call the cruise line?" but rather " hey, let's call the TA or the cruise line so someone else can go on that cruise!".

What does one personally gain by not calling the cruise line Rahi?

Here's how:

A:) First we would call our TA (whether we booked direct with the cruise line or not). TA's usually have a list of contacts with the cruise lines that are not always available to the general public.

B: ) The TA or the cruise line, may have been able to locate clients who would be willing to take over your booking at the last minute, although there may have been a small fee payable for name changes etc., but that's minor compared to losing your entire cruise payment.

C:) You'd feel good knowing you helped someone else going on a cruise, and you'd still have your cruise fare to book your next cruise.

The B--section , there is no way a TA or the cruise line can do that! You can't make name changes.

Or you can for one , and not for the other, but no way can you hand a cruise over to new people.

The C--section, Someone will get to use my room, they will upgrade someone during thath cruise. I will feel good for that person, OK?? Sorry this is how I feel , and nothing, NOTHING any of you can say will change this.

Rahi,

What does one personally gain by calling the TA or the cruise line Rahi?

Here's how:

A: First we would call our TA (whether we booked direct with the cruise line or not). TA's usually have a list of contacts with the cruise lines that are not always available to the general public.

B: The TA or the cruise line, may have been able to locate clients who would be willing to take over your booking at the last minute, although there may have been a small fee payable for name changes etc., but that's minor compared to losing your entire cruise payment.

C: You'd feel good knowing you helped someone else going on a cruise, and you'd still have your cruise fare to book your next cruise.

Actually if cruise lines made that allowance that you could allow others to go on the cruise - then I would maybe agree with you. However, NCL's policy is that whoever booked the cruise - one of those has to cruise. You can't replace everyone on the ticket. So, they aren't doing you any favors with that policy and its only helping them if you cancel and they can re-book.

If everything was "feel good" and I couldn't make a cruise - why cant "I" call my neighbor up and let them cruise on my cruise ticket (or sell/barter/give/loan/etc) ? But their passenger replacement policy doesn't allow that (you can play some games if you had another cabin, but by and large its difficult if you don't know someone else onboard).

So, yes in that case if there is nothing to be gained and they aren't allowing you to recoup - nothing gained, nothing lost.

Besides, I might have determined I couldn't go on a cruise for whatever reason and something changed a day or two in so I decided to go anyway. Many things that happen that prevent you from going on a cruise can also "unhappen" that all of a sudden then allow you do.

I agree. My husband owns an insurance agency, and always says I should not get insurance for my trips, and he knows the cost involved for each cruise I book. I am ahead of the game by far for never having bought travel insurance. IF I lost money in a trip, so be it.

I am not at a loss because I did purchase insurance and had to use it when DGM passed away the night before our cruise. That insurance paid for our replacement cruise 6 months later. It's all in the risk you want to take. To me the cost for cruise insurance is so small that it is worth the price.

Rahi

Please read this link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-627382.html

The B--section , there is no way a TA or the cruise line can do that! You can't make name changes.

Or you can for one , and not for the other, but no way can you hand a cruise over to new people.

The C--section, Someone will get to use my room, they will upgrade someone during thath cruise. I will feel good for that person, OK?? Sorry this is how I feel , and nothing, NOTHING any of you can say will change this.

I am not at a loss because I did purchase insurance and had to use it when DGM passed away the night before our cruise. That insurance paid for our replacement cruise 6 months later. It's all in the risk you want to take. To me the cost for cruise insurance is so small that it is worth the price.

And I am sure the travel insurance industry loves you. I am not downing you for getting it, it is just not someone we ever want to do. I am glad for you.

Years ago my friend's husband died shortly before a scheduled cruise. With the help of the cruiseline, she was able to have a friend accompany her & share the cabin.

If you purchase travel insurance, your money should be refunded.

Well sure, as long as her name was one of the two on the original booking. But what you can not do , is have two totally different people stay in that cabin without one of the two being one of the originals.

I am a statistician myself and know the numbers game well. All insurance companies are in the business to make a profit. Of course they have it all calculated that they, not us (a collective us), will come out ahead.

And I agree with you that trip cancellation insurance is the least worthwhile. There is a cap to the loss which is the trip cost. Most of us can lose it without an impact to our everyday lifestyle, which means most of us can afford to self insure. For many people peace of mind is the only thing they buy. But if it is worthwhile to them, it is worthwhile to them. Sometimes the peace of mind is invaluable.

However, travel medical insurance is a different monster. The cap of the loss is so high (if it exists at all) that I might lose 6 or 7 figures and that would significantly impact my life, which to me means I cannot afford to self insure. Statistically speaking, I know very well I will still likely lose money if I consistently buy travel medical insurance. But I will gladly lose a small amount of money to have the insurance because I can't afford the off chance that I suffer a loss, however small that chance is.

I am a statistician myself and know the numbers game well. All insurance companies are in the business to make a profit. Of course they have it all calculated that they, not us (a collective us), will come out ahead.

And I agree with you that trip cancellation insurance is the least worthwhile. There is a cap to the loss which is the trip cost. Most of us can lose it without an impact to our everyday lifestyle, which means most of us can afford to self insure. For many people peace of mind is the only thing they buy. But if it is worthwhile to them, it is worthwhile to them. Sometimes the peace of mind is invaluable.

However, travel medical insurance is a different monster. The cap of the loss is so high (if it exists at all) that I might lose 6 or 7 figures and that would significantly impact my life, which to me means I cannot afford to self insure. Statistically speaking, I know very well I will still likely lose money if I consistently buy travel medical insurance. But I will gladly lose a small amount of money to have the insurance because I can't afford the off chance that I suffer a loss, however small that chance is.

Exactly. I only buy travel medical insurance now. The money I spend for the cruise I can afford to lose that's why I am using it for vacation. Travel medical is dirt cheap and can protect me from going nearly broke. Evacuation alone from 1/2 way around the world can be over $100,000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I dont really trust insurance companies, will they really pay up cos it looks like there is always small print I didnt read that somehow will make my claim invalid :rolleyes: I have bought single trip cover a few times for the medical cover mainly just in case something did go wrong but im not sure if it even covers the cruise or just the flights and hotel. I book everything seperately and they dont even ask where I am going, I am a little bit doubtful that they will process my claim if I need to make one. I know from expirience working for a mobile phone company that the insurance cover we offer only covers loss or theft if it is reported within 24 hours, and many customers dont claim in time so they get nothing :(

Technically,yes Rahi but.... with the assistance of a TA and the cruise line, they will change the 'original booking name' under which the booking was made but, and this is important to remember, the remaining passenger's name is not changed. However...now the "new owner" can request a name change for that passenger.

In short, no one loses out. The new owners simply pay you for the cruise you are not going on; it's really all quite simple.

Well sure, as long as her name was one of the two on the original booking. But what you can not do , is have two totally different people stay in that cabin without one of the two being one of the originals.

Donna - thats great. But I'm not passing moral judgement either way on whether you are "right" or "wrong" for notifying the cruise line. I don't think its morally right or morally wrong. . . . I think people on here are leaning toward saying its "morally right" and following that - but I fail to see how its morally right or wrong. . . .

My post was not about what is right or wrong for everyone. Just me. What I was answering was your 2nd paragraph where you said people might chime in and say they would call but probably wouldn't in actuality. I just disagreed with that. No worries.

My post was not about what is right or wrong for everyone. Just me. What I was answering was your 2nd paragraph where you said people might chime in and say they would call but probably wouldn't in actuality. I just disagreed with that. No worries.

I'm not saying you will or you wont specifically. But I will say that the demographics of this board (and many in human nature) - will say what they believe to be morally right but not necessarily follow it. . .

If you want a case in point - look at the number of people who say they will attend a M&G that has been copiously arranged by a volunteer coordinator with the cruise lines. The number that say they will go and the number that show up is quite absurd. I've seen cases where 80 people answer a roll call, the coordinator tells the cruise that 80 or more will show and the actual number that shows is in the single digits. . .. What does that tell you about people who say they will do something, but if it involves a bit of effort that isn't beneficial to them - they just bail.

Like I said - not all. But there are many who will say they will do something because it sounds like the right thing to do but not necessarily do it. I'm not singling anyone out in particular but thats the reality we live in (at least on this baord).

You have to cancell its the only thing that will make you feel right. Spite will only make you more mad.

Sometimes the cabin will be given to family of crew at a very discounted rate especially during off seasons, wouldnt that make you feel good.

I love the guy who complains about customer service after showing up late on sailing day. This is the a--hole you see on those travel reality shows. The airline/ cruise ship has to bend over backwards for them even though they screwed up. That's why I wouldn't be able to work in customer relations. I would tell this guy in this thread to take a hike. Maybe another cruise line will hold your hand through the process when you miss the ship.

So, because I showed up late, I shouldn't complain about Royal Caribbean's customer service? I'm missing the connection.

They didn't bend over backwards. All I wanted from them was to click a few buttons on a computer and find the most affordable flight. They wouldn't, and probably couldn't, do that.

Maybe another cruise line will get my $2,000 cruise fare plus $1,000+ onboard spending. And another cruise line will get my money. I'm 26 years old going on my 2nd cruise. I have "dream" vacations lined up involving dozens of cruises. I swayed a friend to go on a bachelor party cruise on Carnival. I swayed 2 co-workers to take NCL cruises out of Miami. Don't worry. You won't see me on TV chewing out some RCCL customer service rep, because I won't ever be showing up late for another RCCL cruise. ;)

So, CruisinChris412, I'm trying to make sense out of what you are actually saying in your last sentence of your last paragraph. Do you mean you will show up ON TIME the next time you cruise with RCCL?

So, because I showed up late, I shouldn't complain about Royal Caribbean's customer service? I'm missing the connection.

They didn't bend over backwards. All I wanted from them was to click a few buttons on a computer and find the most affordable flight. They wouldn't, and probably couldn't, do that.

Maybe another cruise line will get my $2,000 cruise fare plus $1,000+ onboard spending. And another cruise line will get my money. I'm 26 years old going on my 2nd cruise. I have "dream" vacations lined up involving dozens of cruises. I swayed a friend to go on a bachelor party cruise on Carnival. I swayed 2 co-workers to take NCL cruises out of Miami. Don't worry. You won't see me on TV chewing out some RCCL customer service rep, because I won't ever be showing up late for another RCCL cruise. ;)

If a medical emergency required you to be evacuated from the ship you may not be "ahead of the game". As for not calling the cruise line to cancel, do you feel the same when it comes to hotels and airlines?

As for not calling the cruise line to cancel, do you feel the same when it comes to hotels and airlines?

Actually yes. I think I've missed a few non-refundable flights I couldn't make and I don't remember calling the airline to tell them I couldn't make it. Actually happens quite a bit. The airline will (if they need to and you don't show up within 15min of the gate) give the seat to standby passengers anyhow. Hotels generally have a more generous cancellation policy where you can call them beforehand and they won't charge you or charge you a single night over the entire stay. If that is the case, then there certainly is an incentive for you to call. However, heavily discounted hotels in resort/holiday times are frequently "non-refundable".

I've had concert tickets and if I coulnd't find someone else to go and use them, I haven't called the box office up to let them re-sell it either. Though for some collegiate events that I'm an alumni at, I have called them and "turned the ticket back in" for them to resell.

So it goes both ways. If there is an incentive - then more people might. But if they don't give you any incentive to, then there is going to be less "participation" in that area.

Doubtful. It matters both ways. If you don't understand that, then you shouldn't be pondering the morality of actions vs inactions.

There also could be PLENTY of doubt. Weather could...and has...closed ports and caused ships to not dock. This is NOT the fault of the cruise line, and by the agreed upon contract, they don't have to credit you.

While I believe that if they resell your cabin, you should get a refund....I am commenting on something that irks me a bit. Morals are the religious solutions to ethical dilemmas. It is quite common to have ethics but not morals. While I am at it, how ethical is it for the cruise line to double sell your cabin but not refund you?

Actually yes. I think I've missed a few non-refundable flights I couldn't make and I don't remember calling the airline to tell them I couldn't make it. Actually happens quite a bit. The airline will (if they need to and you don't show up within 15min of the gate) give the seat to standby passengers anyhow

I always try to call if I know I won't make it. That way I can get my non-refundable ticket set up as a credit for a future flight...generally less the $150 change fee it costs to re-use it. Do you just walk away from that ticket? Believe me, I appreciate the no-shows on flights :)

Archived