Breastfeeding on Carnival?

RizzoLee

Does anyone know their policy or have experience breastfeeding on Carnival outside of your cabin? I'm bringing my 9mo in a month and we're still nursing. I'm bringing my pump just in case. In Ontario it's the law to BF wherever you're allowed by law, as it is in a lot of the States.

TIA!

Breastfeeding is the best, most natural way to feed your child....that's why the breasts are there in the 1st place!

No one could ever tell when I was breast-feeding....properly done, and it's hardly noticable! Feed wherever you want, within reason!!!

I hope that the policy is "do it whenever the baby is hungry". Just do it when you need to, be discreet, and there should be no complaints. Considering what some of the women will be wearing at the pools, breastfeeding is hardly the most shocking thing anyone will see. ;)

Considering what some of the women will be wearing at the pools, breastfeeding is hardly the most shocking thing anyone will see. ;)

LOL. Love that. ;)

Thanks for the input, we are always discreet in public (actually, every mall has a nursing area where we live), am a bit concerned about DS and the heat with a cover, but we'll make do. He gets easily distracted, but we'll muddle through I'm sure!

LOL. Love that. ;)

Thanks for the input, we are always discreet in public (actually, every mall has a nursing area where we live), am a bit concerned about DS and the heat with a cover, but we'll make do. He gets easily distracted, but we'll muddle through I'm sure!

There are lots of quiet, cool places to BF. You don't need to sit in the sun, as there are shady places all around the ship.

We have a Carnival cruise with our breastfed baby soon and I plan to feed him when hungry.

For my own modesty I will try to feed him in the room or in a quiet spot. I also use a nursing cover. If someone takes issue...my husband will give them a piece of his mind!

I never BF'd on a ship, but I would not have hesitated. I would not have sat out out in the heat, though. I would think a quiet lounge, the main showroom (if nothing is going on in there, since you said he is easily distracted), the library, a quiet area on Promenade deck, and your cabin would all be good places. Have a nice cruise!

I think that breastfeeding in public is SUPER important. Children can see how to feed a baby the proper and healthy way as we were intended. With formula recalls occurring often (and one just last week due to at least one death) it is even more important to teach our future how to properly feed a baby. I have yet to see a breastfeeding mom flinging their nipple around. Usually a head is covering the boob. Babies tend to hate those covers and who blames them. Have fun and nurse that baby whenever he/she needs it! ; ) -Mom of a nursing 17 month old

I nurse my baby anywhere and anytime discreetly wherever we are. Once I even nursed him in a sling, totally covered, with one hand while using the other hand to push a cart full of groceries. Hey, gotta do what ya gotta do.

I'd LOVE to see anyone try to tell me not to nurse.

Don't worry about it. Its completely sanitary, natural and wholesome. As long as you use discretion its 100% fine.

I think that breastfeeding in public is SUPER important. Children can see how to feed a baby the proper and healthy way as we were intended. With formula recalls occurring often (and one just last week due to at least one death) it is even more important to teach our future how to properly feed a baby. I have yet to see a breastfeeding mom flinging their nipple around. Usually a head is covering the boob. Babies tend to hate those covers and who blames them. Have fun and nurse that baby whenever he/she needs it! ; ) -Mom of a nursing 17 month old

Very well said! Please feed your baby whenever he needs to eat and enjoy your vacation. It's so easy traveling with a nursing baby! I wouldn't bring a pump.

I always felt that the nursing covers or a blanket called more attention to the fact that I was nursing so I didn't use them. I used to be a pro at nursing my kids wherever. :p

Agreed, feed your baby when they are hungry and wherever you are comfortable. Nobody can legally tell you not to breastfeed, so if they try, tell them to leave you be.

My DD is breastfed and we will be cruising in January. I'm usually in the type of top that allows me to expose my nipple area from below the top with the above part covering all else. You really can't see anything and if you can, you are staring at us way too close.

I second what most other posters said: breastfeeding your child when he's hungry & don't worry about what anyone else thinks. It offends me when another person burps in public, but you don't see anyone making rules about it, lol.

That said, if you are truly concerned, my advice is to email the cruise line about their breastfeeding policy. I guarantee they will tell you they are pro-breastfeeding (if they are not, please go to mothering dot com and let the ladies there know so we can make them aware of the consequences of going against the US Surgeon General, WHO, etc.). When you get a positive response, print it out and take it with you on your vacation. Then if anyone gives you any trouble, just show them the letter and inform them that they should hold a staff training to make everyone aware of the line's policy.

And if you want further encouragement, here's my one experience being told not to bf in public. This is my second child, who is now 18 months, still Bring, and I BF'ed the first until he was 2.5. I'm usually discreet, but not always.

I once was confronted at Busch Gardens' Water Country while BFing my 6-month-old sitting on the side of the pool watching my 5 year-old with my friend. I was being relatively discreet, my son's bucket hat covering most of me. There were certainly others with more boob showing. A lifeguard approached me and said "Ma'am, we have restrooms for you to do that." I was so surprised it took me a second to respond. I asked with incredulity if the kid (he was probably 20) had just asked me to breastfeed in the bathroom. I then informed him in no uncertain terms that not only does the state of Virginia (and most other US states, by the way) explicitly protect my right to breastfeed anywhere I am otherwise legally allowed to be, but I guaranteed him that the policy of Busch Gardens is in favor of breastfeeding. I told him he'd better go find his supervisor and get this straightened out quick. He came back a few minutes later, while I was still fuming, having donned his polo shirt, and apologizing out the wazoo for his own behavior and on behalf of the park. He was informed by his supervisor that (of course) BG's policy was indeed in favor of BFing, and that it had been covered in his training but he must have not paid attention. He promised me that they were going to hold a special all staff meeting after hours that evening to reiterate the policy to the staff. I told him he'd better. I've never had another confrontation about breastfeeding, and I'm not at all shy about it, though I do try to be respectful and not make others uncomfortable. :-)

The only time I ever had comments with BF in public were also at a theme park (does that attract the weirdos or something?).

I was sitting on a park bench off to the side, btw, the baby was totally covered, just the top of his little head was poking out and his toes. To my dismay a father with 2 girls about the age of 8 and 10 starts making faces at me, whispering to his kids and intentionally not hiding his distaste. He made a point of loudly saying to them 'thats something I hope you never do in public'. How sad I thought for a father to give this image of caring for your baby to his impressionable daughters. It could have been a teachable moment for them, but it was the opposite. Some people are just sick.

I have been following this thread with great interest. I have to say that I am very impressed with the responses that the OP has gotten! Often this topic brings out some posters that are totally against breastfeeding in public.

All of the PP are correct. Feed your baby whenever and wherever you need to. It is ridiculous that in this day and age, anyone should be afraid or embarrassed by one of the ultimate (IMHO) mothering experiences. People need to get over their own hang-ups.

I took my DD on her first cruise at the age of 11 months. She turned one on her first cruise! I breast fed her mostly in the cabin, but did not hesitate to feed her discreetly when needed. I had absolutely no negative comments or problems. I was ready with my own comments in case anyone dared to say anything negative. I nursed all of my 3 kids for well over a year in many sets of circumstances. I have had only a few negative comments (mostly with my first child), but over time learned to stand up for myself and my right to feed my child in the way nature, and God intended. A lot of it has to do with how you carry yourself. Confidence is apparent to others in your body language. Discretion is also a must for the comfort of others. I could nurse without showing even a hint of my breast. If I caught anyone staring, I would look them right in the eye and smile (always works).

Do what you feel is best and arm yourself with knowledge of the cruise line's rules and policies, as previously suggested. Have some snappy comebacks ready in case of any negativity. Example: "No, I will not go in the restroom to feed my baby. Would YOU eat your meals in the bathroom?"

Good luck and Bon voyage!

Thanks to all who responded. :)

Like others, we do have a nursing cover, but my DS hates it with a passion. I'm pretty good at keeping my top down around any exposed skin his head doesn't cover.

When I meant 'in the heat' it was more so related to being in port. :)

I plan on bringing my pump moreso to get a break - pump a bottle and perhaps leave him for his first night away with my parents - who are in the cabin next door. ;) My supply has regulated, so it might take a bit. :)

Thanks to all who responded. :)

Like others, we do have a nursing cover, but my DS hates it with a passion. I'm pretty good at keeping my top down around any exposed skin his head doesn't cover.

When I meant 'in the heat' it was more so related to being in port. :)

I don't know what ports you will be in, but you may find the locals very accepting in the Caribbean. If there are a lot of Europeans around, they are also no so uptight about breasts as Americans, IMO.

I had a land vacation with DD in St. Thomas when she was 6 months old. Nearly every day I got comments on how wonderful it was that I was breastfeeding her. I even had 2 separate women comment that she must be breast fed since she looked so healthy! Formula is very expensive in the islands and more mothers breastfeed there. On one of our beach trips, I was feeding DD under a tree with a cover. An older lady nearby came over to me and took the cover off! She said with her Caribbean accent "No need to cover up dear! There is nothing to hide. That baby can't breathe!" I was so grateful to her for that. The rest of the week, I didn't bother to cover up and no one batted an eye. I found that the attitude towards breastfeeding to be overwhelmingly positive in St. Thomas.

• 5 weeks later...

I love this answer ;) I get so irritated with people that use children seeing a woman BF as a negative as in it should not under any circumstances be seen by a child. I have never understood that argument.

Archived