Hawaii cruise question

shaq

We are booked on the Summit to Hawaii in Jan. Does anyone have any idea on the kind of weather we would experience on the pacific crossing from LA? Are the seas rough? Is it sunny and warm? Any answers or coments would be greatly appreciated.

Shaq,

It will be cooler than expected starting out, the closer to Hawaii you get the warmer it will be, however, even with 75 temps during the day, being out in open water it will be cool and not what you think. When on the islands during the day it can get up to the 80s and you will still need sunscreen but nights will surely be cool in the 60s on island out to sea, cooler.

I was on O'ahu in January, and I had rain and much cooler weather than experience before. long sleeved t-shirts, but could wear shorts.

Seas can be rough, but it all depends on the weather, no storms heading eastwards and it will be calmer....

It is still a wonderful cruise, and the Islands are magical. I love Hawaii.

Carlene

Weatherwise I would prefer September-October for smoother seas and warmer weather. Actually summer would be even better but you can't do that from the West Coast and I don't fly. Wish some cruiseline would forget Alaska one summer and do Hawaii.

We cruised from Ensenada to Hawaii on the Legend of the Seas in December of 2003. The weather was cool at first, and the seas were mildly rough, but the closer to Hawaii we got the warmer it got and calmer the seas became.

The weather in Hawaii that December was perfect. Warm, in the low 80's during the day and pleasant at night, in the 70's. Never needed a sweater the whole time in Hawaii....day or night. The only rainy day was in Kauai, and it just drizzled....enough to give us some nice rainbows on the helicopter ride.

Snorkeling was slightly cool for me, but my husband thought it was perfect. I think I have read that Hawaii has slightly cooler water than the Caribbean anyways, so perhaps it was just normal temps for Hawaii.

We sailed round trip from San deigo last December and the first day out was very rough but after that things were fine. ( But who knows what will happen in the open ocean.) It was chilly the first couple of days out and the last couple when returning but certainly not cold. It sure is a wonderful trip that I hope you enjoy.

Steve

We are booked on the Summit in one of the aft CC cabins with the larger balconies for the Christmas/New Years cruise to Hawaii. Will the weather be warm enough for us to enjoy our balcony, or are we just wasting our money? Please let us know what you think!

CarpeCruzm,

I don't think having one of the aft balconies is EVER a mistake. :) Yes, it is pretty cool the first two days, but your balcony will be one of the warmest.

By the way, we are on the same sailing as you, and we have a roll call going on the roll call board. There are some pretty knowledgable folks that can answer any questions you may have. Please, join us. :)

My answer would be no you did not waste your money. We had a CC cabin midship and some days you did need a sweater or jacket but it was still wonderful. You will have less wind also. Petoonya had an aft on the same cruise maybe she will see this and tell you what she thinks. (my guess is she will say do it !)

Steve

CarpeCruzm,

I don't think having one of the aft balconies is EVER a mistake. :) Yes, it is pretty cool the first two days, but your balcony will be one of the warmest.

By the way, we are on the same sailing as you, and we have a roll call going on the roll call board. There are some pretty knowledgable folks that can answer any questions you may have. Please, join us. :)

Save some food for us! We are on the 1/2/06 cruise right after you. We have CC #6136 and heard that the balcony is partially covered, so we're hoping that for nice weather.

We took the Mercury Honolulu-Ensenada a few years ago, and had a SS and loved it. We really used our balcony quite a bit. We do realize that the first couple days out of L.A. will be cool and possibly rough seas, but nothing more Bonine won't cure.

Karyn

Wow, thanks to each of you for all the wonderful replies to our question! We're hoping to enjoy at least a couple of nice breakfasts out on the balcony...er, or should we say veranda (judging the balcony size from photos we've seen - we're on deck 7 - and they look huge!). Guess we won't have to pack our parkas afterall! :D

I was on the wonderful sailing on December 5th from San Diego round trip and had an aft corner cabin. It was the best! Don't worry about the weather. Besides the first day I spent lots of time on that cabin. Enjoy!

Walter

Save some food for us! We are on the 1/2/06 cruise right after you. We have CC #6136 and heard that the balcony is partially covered, so we're hoping that for nice weather.

We took the Mercury Honolulu-Ensenada a few years ago, and had a SS and loved it. We really used our balcony quite a bit. We do realize that the first couple days out of L.A. will be cool and possibly rough seas, but nothing more Bonine won't cure.

Karyn

hi karyn we are doing the same sailing and are right down the hall from you

is there a thread for this particular date

sandie

We are taking our first Hawaii cruise next March -- so any and all information regarding what to bring, etc. is welcome :D See, I never thought it would be cool ;) . And, as far as snorkeling is concerned -- is the water cooler in Hawaii than in the Caribbean??? Rough seas doesn't concern me, but it's nice to know about.

Thanks.

Yes, the water in Hawaii is cooler than the Caribbean. Not a lot cooler, but I am very sensitive to that and I could really notice it.

My husband and I have discussed this and we are looking into buying me one of those very thin, long sleeved tops, that dry very quickly, made for snorkeling or scuba diving in cooler water. Such as this one or This one

Since I didn't have something like that in Hawaii I would wear a t-shirt and it helped some.

The snokeling in Hawaii was wonderful, you will love it!

hi karyn we are doing the same sailing and are right down the hall from you

is there a thread for this particular date

sandie

Sandie, there is a roll call thread started...Hawaii, 1/2/06, Summitt. Scroll up this page, and click on "flashing" Details, then scroll down to "Roll Call Forum", and search for us...we're there! Looking forward to meeting you!

Karyn

We did Hawaii last December on Infinity, leaving San Diego , was 55 deg. Two days into the crossing were very windy and cool. On third day was sunny, about 70 and when we got to Hawaii was in the low 80, sunny every day.

Aloha

Archived