American Airlines baggage to Brazil?

Bowie MeMe

I am confused by American Airlines baggage policy. I am flying AA from Miami to Rio (GIG) and will return from Santiago Chile. I would like to check 3 bags for 2 people. One of the bags is a folding nylon duffle with all the winter coats in it so they don't have to go in the overhead bin. I will not pay for this bag because I can stuff the coats in bins for free. Anybody flown this route recently and can tell me if South America (EXCEPT BRAZIL) is 2 checked bags free or one free on AMERICAN AIRLINES -- too late to change the airline now? Flying back from Chile do we only get the one bag even though the flight is a LAN flight according to the ticket?

From the American Airlines website: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp#brazil_allowance

Travel to/from Brazil

Number of Bags Allowed*

One personal item: No charge

One bag carry-on: No charge

Two bags checked. No charge

Size and Weight Per Bag Allowed*

45 in/115 cm (carry-on)

62 in/158 cm (checked)

70lbs./32kg (checked)

I'd phone American Airlines. Flight to/from Brazil often have special allowances, at least in terms of weight (we're in Brazil), so I'd suggest erring on the side of cuation and confirming that your allowances will be the same to Brazil and from Chile. I have found the baggage charts on the airline Web sites confusing at times and have ended up phoning.

To Brazil should be 2 bags each up to 70 pounds. Coming back, baggage allowance should follow LAN's policy, which appears to still be 2 50 pound bags. Does look like AA itself has changed south american baggage allowance for non-brazil, if ticket was purchased after Aug 30, 3011 and you were on AA metal, from Chile it would only be 1 free.

(FWIW, this is the same route I'm flying, and I'm also on AA, so it's my understanding of the allowances.)

Hey Piper let me know when you get back:D What day is that -- maybe just as I am going and your knowledge would be ever so helpful. Yes the change in policy and the change in open-jaw ticket that includes Brazil and Chile is what was of concern. My ticket is AA. Yes I can always pay for another bag but the purpose of the 2nd bag was to stuff the coats, hats etc that we will need in Baltimore, around the Horn, then in Baltimore again but surely will not need to bother with in the other 3 1/2 weeks and to save space in the overhead bins. I will not pay for this though in that coats fly free. Remind me not to buy a white winter coat again as they don't do well stuffed under the feet or in the bins with rolling wheels marking it up -- thus the reason for the coat bag.

p.s. insist that whoever you talk with at AA, etc. looks at specific requirements for where you're going. If you're going to Brazil first it probably isn't much of a help if you have a larger weight requirement for that flight (most people want it for the return trip, after having bought souvenirs, etc.). Do not bank on the agent at the check-in desk knowing the requirements. We've had to insist they look them up, especially the 70 lb. allowance for Brazil.

Archived