Question about San Juan airpot

hawaiinana

This is our first cruise out of San Juan. How far is the airport from the cruise terminal? I just wondered how long it will take us to get to ship. We couldn't get a flight the day before, so we're flying in the day of the cruise and we should land around 3:30 pm and we have transportation lined up through Carnival. I've read how busy the airport is, and I hope it is easy to navigate. Any advice? Thanks!

This is our first cruise out of San Juan. How far is the airport from the cruise terminal? I just wondered how long it will take us to get to ship. We couldn't get a flight the day before, so we're flying in the day of the cruise and we should land around 3:30 pm and we have transportation lined up through Carnival. I've read how busy the airport is, and I hope it is easy to navigate. Any advice? Thanks!

We have cruised out of SJ 3 times and have not found the airport hard to get around. Very easy to find a taxi.

the airport isn't too far away, less than an hour. We did Victory a few years ago and we will be again in a few weeks..

if i am not mistaken, the ship leaves pretty late, so you should be ok.. we fly in day before just to be safe, since we are from a snowy climate

I think the sail-away is around 5:30 or 6:00 p.m. You should be on board in plenty of time. Hope you have a great cruise!

flying out on the day of disembark. is a pain though.... just be warned.. that airport is crazy with everyone trying to fly home

There'll be 4 or 5 ships all disembarking at around the same time, so as spyderski said, the airport will be extremely busy. You'll need to be extremely patient, and be prepared for looong lines when checking in at the airport.

Wow! You guys are great! Thanks for all the responses! I can't wait for Jan. 1 to get here! It's so much fun to have something to look forward to after Christmas is over and all the decorations are taken down. We are flying directly from Atlanta, so hopefully we won't have any weather issues. (However we live in Middle Tennessee-so we are hoping for good driving weather to Atlanta.) Since we were late booking this cruise, (Oct.) all the flights were pretty well booked the day before and the last day of the cruise- so although we are flying in on the day of the cruise, we are staying over in San Juan and flying home on Monday. That will give us some post-cruise time to see San Juan. (and extend our vacation just a little longer :)) We are staying at the Caribe Hilton-and hope that is a good choice to end our trip. Thanks everyone! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I would give up that carnival transfer.

You ill have to get your luggage- get to the bus then wait til it fills before it leaves.. then you arrive at the pier with all those people on the bus.

Take a cab which will be cheaper then the shuttle. and you can arrive "alone" instead of with a bunch of other people which probably will be in front of you checking in

I would give up that carnival transfer.

You ill have to get your luggage- get to the bus then wait til it fills before it leaves.. then you arrive at the pier with all those people on the bus.

Take a cab which will be cheaper then the shuttle. and you can arrive "alone" instead of with a bunch of other people which probably will be in front of you checking in

Sounds like sound advice.

I have got to tell my San Juan cab story......

We had just gotten off the ship and there was about 12 of us in our party. We had made previous arrangements for our cabbie to pick us up and he was there as promised.

As he was loading all our luggage we kept saying "I don't think it's all going to fit", but he assured us he had done this many times and he would "make it fit"......:eek: So he crams all the luggage in the back of the van and finally gets the back doors shut after much pushing.

So now we are driving down the expressway at about 70 mph on the way to the airport when (you guessed it), the back door flew open and luggage started flying all over the road.....:eek:......So he stops IN MIDDLE OF THE EXPRESSWAY and starts picking it up, while we sat in the van and PRAYED we didn't get run over by all the traffic whizzing by.

We got all our luggage back and except for a little scrape on one bag everything was fine.....but boy what an experience!!! It's funny now, but it sure wasn't then........:rolleyes:

I have only been to San Juan once a couple of years ago, in my experience the arriving at the airport was a simple enough matter, get off plane walk down the hallway, wait for luggage, walk outside to the shuttle bus / taxi pick up and be on your way, about like any airport. Departing from there is another matter with the extra step of the agriculture inspection, awful foot traffic flow patterns, narrow hallways, poor layout security screening area, etc.

I think the sail-away is around 5:30 or 6:00 p.m. You should be on board in plenty of time. Hope you have a great cruise!

The Victory leaves at 10 pm from San Juan.

As for advice - you should be fine we flew in day of from DC and had no issues. I agree though take a taxi!

Archived