Best "cancel for any reason" cruise insurance?

italianfemmy

Hello to all of the wealth of knowledge folks on CC! I want to look into getting a "Cancel for any reason" insurance policy on a cruise for November of 2012. Your help for a reputable, cost effective company recommendation that you or someone you know has personal experience with would prove to be most helpful! Thanks in advance!

The cruiseline itself MIGHT be the best for "Cancel For Any Reason". However, most of the cruiselines policies are for a future cruise credit, not a cash back option

Other 3rd party policies are anywhere from 70% - 90% cash back.

There are also caveats to a "Cancel for Any Reason" policy. You must purchase the policy within a certain time frame of initial deposit, and some REQUIRE you to insure the entire amount of your trip.

I had a bad experience with Travel Guard. Three years ago we were suppose to be on an Alaskan cruise but due to weather delays we could not get there. Travel Guard refused payment; I am trying to remember the exact reason. It was something about delays vs cancellation. They would only pay for a delay. Carnival was great. Travel Guard was very difficult to work with and in the end paid very little.

Here's my situation. I want to book a cruise for Nov. of 2012 (Haven't booked it yet.)

I own a wedding photography business. If a client approaches me for the dates I already have booked on the cruise and wants to book one of our highest packages, I want to be able to cancel the cruise and lose the least amount of money possible.

The deposit to book the cruise is $600. (non-refundable). For me, that's too big of a loss to wrap my head around if I change my mind in the next 3-6 months.

I just want to know what my options are.

Here's my situation. I want to book a cruise for Nov. of 2012 (Haven't booked it yet.)

I own a wedding photography business. If a client approaches me for the dates I already have booked on the cruise and wants to book one of our highest packages, I want to be able to cancel the cruise and lose the least amount of money possible.

The deposit to book the cruise is $600. (non-refundable). For me, that's too big of a loss to wrap my head around if I change my mind in the next 3-6 months.

If you are going to book ES and cancel before final payment i believe you would only be reimbursed the $100 administrative fee and not the total $600 as you are not losing $600 since CCL will be holding the other $500 for a fuure cruise.

I've never had cancel for any reason nor tried to cancel using ES so I could be mistaken but it seems like that would be double dipping.

Bill

Bill

Don't book ES (Early Saver) Only ES has the nonrefundable deposits.

Book Fun Saver or something else. Yes, it's a little bit pricier, however, it better fits your needs.

Okay, I talked to Carnival and getting the cancel for any reason insurance seems like a waste to me now.

They said we pay a 600 non refundable deposit (total for the 2 of us). If we have to cancel before Sept 10th of 2012, we would have a 50pp penatly fee, leaving us with a $500 credit that we could use on another sailing within like 18 months.

So, if I decide to book a wedding to make money instead of going on the sailing, we'd only truly lose 100 bucks. No biggie. Awesome. :-) Sounds like a plan to me!!

Okay, I talked to Carnival and getting the cancel for any reason insurance seems like a waste to me now.

They said we pay a 600 non refundable deposit (total for the 2 of us). If we have to cancel before Sept 10th of 2012, we would have a 50pp penatly fee, leaving us with a $500 credit that we could use on another sailing within like 18 months.

So, if I decide to book a wedding to make money instead of going on the sailing, we'd only truly lose 100 bucks. No biggie. Awesome. :-) Sounds like a plan to me!!

18 months? Have they changed the rules again? i used to be 12 months, then they changed it to 24 months?

Now they are saying 18 months? Hopefully just another rep who doesn't know the rules.:eek:

Bill

I looked at insuremytrip -- if you are booking a cruise vacation (like with hotel/cruise/air) would this be considered a package -- and since you are going to multiple stops -- what do you put in for your destination -- one of the ports? I did not see cruise as a choice.

Thanks!

Well the Carnival rep said 24 months. The TA said 18 so I went with the shorter end to be safe. :-)

In this case I would put my trust in the CCL rep but as long as you are able to reschedule in the 18 months it shouldn't matter:).

I looked at insuremytrip -- if you are booking a cruise vacation (like with hotel/cruise/air) would this be considered a package -- and since you are going to multiple stops -- what do you put in for your destination -- one of the ports? I did not see cruise as a choice.

Thanks!

"Package" in insuremytrip refers more to an insurance package that offer multiple types of coverage (i.e. trip cancellation, medical, evacuation, etc.).

You would put down the general area of travel (Caribbean, Bahamas, etc.), the dates of travel and the total of all non-refundable fares/fees (either per person or total for your party). Make sure that you list the day you start your trip and the day you get back at the very least, not when you start your cruise. You can always call the toll free number and they will talk you through the process.

Archived