Our December Cruise on Barmoral

Iceland

We have just come back from our cruise on Balmoral which was a last minute cruise for us and I must say we had a wonderful time. We found the staff, the entertainment and the food were great and I would say the best food we have ever had on any cruise. We sailed to Madeira, the Canary Islands and Lisbon and apart from the early part of the holiday we had good weather. I was a bit wary about sailing this itinerary at this time of the year but can say we have had worse seas in the middle of June. We had an outside cabin on Deck 6 which was in a very good position for Reception, the Restaurants and the Theatres. We went to most of the shows which we enjoyed. The ship was all decorated up for Christmas and we had a carol concert with a lot of the crew on stage, all helping us to get that Christmas feeling.

This is our third time with Fred Olsen having sailed twice on Boudicca and will definitely be booking with them again.

Jeanlyon - yes they do do port lectures - and sometimes there will be enhancement talks that tell you a bit more about the places visited.

One of the reaons we enjoy Fred, is because the talks are so good - so much so that we now look for the Vista featured ones if possible.

Hi, glad you enjoyed your cruise. We are on our first Fred cruise next October having done 4 with P&O. Can you tell me if FO do port lectures on board. We tend not to book excursions until we've been to the port lecture.

If you are lucky enough to get Hazel Griffiths as your port lecturer ,you will be in for a treat. She is excellent.:)

Hi Parsman, wish I was sailing on your cruise in January, have now got an attack of the post cruise blues. Will have to wait for a while now though as this was our second cruise in 3 months and funds will have to recover.

Have a great time.

As others have said, there were port talks. However, we didn't attend them as we had been to all of the ports before.

We did our own thing when ashore, taking the hop on, hop off bus in Tenerife and Gran Canaria, so cannot comment on any of the shore excursions.

We are doing West Africa and the Cape Verdes. Looks like the Cape Verdes are easy on your own and I've found a private tour company in Banjul. Have visited both Banjul and Dakar many years ago while I was a stewardess, so it will be good to go back.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
If you are lucky enough to get Hazel Griffiths as your port lecturer ,you will be in for a treat. She is excellent.:)

Popsey Wopsey...thank you for your comment.....I am most happy with that compliment

I just came from Boudicca last Sunday and will be there again at the end of Sept.

Hazel Griffiths!

Hi Hazel ,glad you enjoyed your cruise on Boudicca, where are you off to in September. Will you be giving lectures ?.:)

It's to Iberia....from Sept 26th.

Yes I am the Destination Speaker on that one

Archived