How About A Surcharge For Multiple Portions......

nycruise

[quote name='Sh1035']back on topic I behave just like I would at any restaurant I am paying for. If I dislike my entree. because it's cooked wrong or just bad I would send it back.

However, if I ordered something and it was not as expected or I loved it I would not order another main. I just was not raised that way and not sitting in grandmas kitchen.

I have read on here of people ordering every app, two entrees,etc. Would you do that in a normal restaurant?

I feel bread,salad,main and desert is more then enough for the average person.

That being said I do pay the 200% for single and always think I should eat for two! But in all of my cruises usually with a group of 20 I have never seen anyone order more of anything but drinks and bread.

Also I usually now just go to MDR half the nights.[/quote]

The waitstaff encourages you to order more so why not as long as you eat it?

[quote name='golfadj']Absolutely positively not. Your son is a hero and if I saw him on a ship would be honored to buy him a drink.

Your comments about everything else is negative.

John Heald who has repeatedly called me his mate has a great sense of humor and is able to poke fun at himself the sam thing I do.

Some people take themselves way to seriously.[/quote]

Well said. Happy Hanukkah Stu to you and yours.

[QUOTE]back on topic I behave just like I would at any restaurant I am paying for. If I dislike my entree. because it's cooked wrong or just bad I would send it back.

However, if I ordered something and it was not as expected or I loved it I would not order another main. I just was not raised that way and not sitting in grandmas kitchen.

I have read on here of people ordering every app, two entrees,etc. Would you do that in a normal restaurant?[/QUOTE]

I almost agree with you. My problem is that on our last cruise the entries were hit or miss (mostly miss), but we really did not want to spend 2.5 hours in MDR for dinner. We were already spending 2 hours (with a 6 year old!) in MDR. There were couple of times when my husband had to leave with our daughter to take her to Camp Carnival because they brought her entire meal (on one plate) before we could even get our appetizers. After about 1.5 hours our child was bored to tears and would start whining.

Anyway, we did not want to risk waiting for our substitute entry, should the original fail, so we sometimes ordered multiple appetizers ahead of time. By the end of the cruise, I just ordered 2 appetizers and a salad (or soup) and skipped the entry. The other thing was when I wanted just the veggies (sesame eggplant) from the main entry, the waiter insisted on bringing the entire dish.

Anyway, MDR is not really a restaurant, and I would argue that people order multiple things because the quality is down and people are trying to find something they can be satisfied.

[quote name='aidansaunt2004'][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]NCL is very well known for "cover charges" for their restaurants. They offer the main dining room and the buffets for free, as every other ship. They were the cruise line I was referencing. On the Epic, 10 of the 16 restaurants have a cover charge. Some people will say they'll pay extra because they offer "specialties" such as Italian, Mexican or Japanese food. Other cruise lines, such as Carnival, offer those same types of food for free. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]
On NCL-when you pay your cover charge for their specialty restaurants, can you have as many entrees, appetizers, salads, and desserts as you want? I'm not sure how those restaurants work. Are they the same as the Carnival steakhouses-1 appetizer, 1 entree, 1 dessert???

[quote name='nycruise']of food in the MDR.

Everyone is complaining about the quality of the food in the MDR and blame it on cost control.

Maybe if they didn't let people order multiple entrees, appetizers and desserts, they could offer better quality food in the MDR for the rest of us.

How about a small surcharge for extra desserts and appetizers and a larger one for entrees. I bet that would cut down on the double and triple ordering I hear talked about on these boards.;)[/QUOTE]

I don't think "Everyone is complaining about the quality of the food in the MDR".

Only a few disgruntled Cruise Critic people.

[quote name='Linsuesue']On NCL-when you pay your cover charge for their specialty restaurants, can you have as many entrees, appetizers, salads, and desserts as you want? I'm not sure how those restaurants work. Are they the same as the Carnival steakhouses-1 appetizer, 1 entree, 1 dessert???[/QUOTE]

Officially, 1 entree but multiple apps or deserts. Some have said they were able to get multiple entrees. I've only been in the Tex Mex and Steakhouse. Both served large entrees, much more than I could eat. I haven't been in one recently though.

Thanks Groo! I can't imagine how a cruise line would make money if they let you have more than 1 entree in the Steakhouse.Giving you the choice to have more than 1 dessert probably works out well for them. Most everybody would be too full to partake of more than 1 dessert anyway. I like the idea of paying a small cover charge and being able to eat in a more intimate atmosphere that caters to one style of food. I do think that Carnival could save some money if everything on the Lido deck was served to you instead of serving yourself. I don't like being behind people who fish all of the beef out of the Mongolion beef or all of the shrimp out of the shrimp and vegetables. The lines might move a bit faster, and it might cut out so much of the waste of food too. I'd rather Carnival made changes to the buffet to be more cost effective than to change the way the MDR operates now.

I have to govern myself sometimes. When I get to a restaurant I 'm hungry and it all looks so good. I want to try everything. I'm glad they tend to have small appetizers so I don't feel bad trying a couple of them.

I can't ever remember ordering two entrees or desserts. The wife and I may have split a second entree, just can't remember.

Having just gotten off the Legend I would so have to disagree with charging more for more than one MDR items. I have a 10 year old who is against kid menu's in general so he ate off the regular menu 6/7 days (one day he went to the buffet so he could get to the camp for something specific). Most of the portion sizes were not adequate for him at all. Now he is a big eater, but is still under weight and height but the boy can eat! With the regular portions being to small for him, I couldn't even IMAGINE him having to order 2-3 items off the kids menu for him. Some of the entree portions were things like 5 shrimp. Really, who eats 5 shrimp, maybe 5 tablespoons of mashed potatoes and the same or less of another veggie and is stuffed? Heck my CATS eat more than that in a day!

On top of that, any of the meats (except the flat iron steak and the pitete filet which my son did love) all tasted exactly the same, like they put it in a slow cooker the night before and left it. I know that taste, I do it at home! The food wasn't great, but it was edible. To be honest, the food in the buffet was a lot worse, and for the Legend not being able to get burgers, chicken fingers or hot dogs after 6pm left my kids out of eating at the buffet past then even!

On the note of the Steak House, we didn't go, but the one on our cruise was totally empty! Even 5 days into the cruise they were still desperately trying to sell the Chef's Table. While I am sure the food IS some what better in the Supper Club, I can understand people's reluctance. As a family of 4 we would be looking at $120. For that price, I can feed my family for 10 days on food comparable to the MDR and buffet for breakfast.

There were times when we ordered 1 extra entree or 2 extra desserts with dinner, but they were then split between 2-3 of us to try. The portion sizes really DON'T make sense. We ordered the Bacon Mac N Cheese to try/share on the last night. This plate was at least 2/3 of a pound of noodles!! Comparing that to 5 mouthfuls of shrimp it's just a joke, no wonder it's on the last night!

[COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]Here is what JH had to say about your suggestion:[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[I][COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]“So I wish all of you a wonderful holiday and I will be back on the 27th with a blog for you and to answer questions here on Facebook. One of the subjects we will be talking about is if we should start charging for food in the main dining room which according to my new best mate Rich who e mailed me again today is what he and others are allegedly suggesting on the cruise boards. Yes Rich, we will start doing that right after we take out the toilet paper from the cabins and ask guests to use the shower curtain and just before I start taking you seriously and at the same time as I move my family to Paris.”[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]And Rich –[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]What makes you think that just because you’re capable enough to find out someone private email address – you have the right to.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]JH is on holiday, recovering from surgery.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma]And people wonder why Carnival has a negative view of cc.[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='H82seaUgo']actually, i never even thought about ordering multiple dishes until ccl cut back portion sizes and courses.

since then, i have augmented my appetite by doing such.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...when lobsters are the size of prawns....then something has to give....so therefore, the consumer, who has paid a dear price for a cruise... has to order numerous portions WITHOUT ANY surcharge.

[quote name='cruisingknut']do some people keep trying to make us pay for every little thing. I cruise because it is an all inclusive (somewhat) vacation.[/quote]

Agreed

[quote name='nycruise']You mean to tell me you never drink, gamble, buy photos, go to the spa, buy items from the shops, take a ship tour, go to a speciality restaurant, play bingo, go to a wine tasting, give a tip, etc. That's far from all inclusive.[/quote]

Not always, but you dont have to do any of the above and still have a great time and only having paid your cruise fare.

[quote name='CanadaJulie']I think everyone agrees that food+lodging and sometimes drinks is what is considered "all inclusive". Apart from the booze, a cruise is all inclusive.

Your personal spending (photos, gambling, store purchases) were never part of any 'all inclusive deals'.[/quote]

Yep

And to the original OP, charging extra in the dining room if you want an extra appetizer, entree, desert seems like a bad idea. I am taking a guess here that on the average most people dining in the MDR dont do much doubling up but if they do it's usally consumed, we have even done it on occasion when they had the shrimp cocktail and gotten a salad or soup as well for an appetizer. The portions they serve are not enormous, so I say you want an extra something go for it (your on vacation right :) ) However, where I have seen the most waste of food is in the buffet area, people piling up plates and plates of food like it was their last meal and the food that does NOT all get consumed, there I think more food is wasted.

[quote name='Cjlovestocruise'][COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]Here is what JH had to say about your suggestion:[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[I][COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]“So I wish all of you a wonderful holiday and I will be back on the 27th with a blog for you and to answer questions here on Facebook. One of the subjects we will be talking about is if we should start charging for food in the main dining room which according to my new best mate Rich who e mailed me again today is what he and others are allegedly suggesting on the cruise boards. Yes Rich, we will start doing that right after we take out the toilet paper from the cabins and ask guests to use the shower curtain and just before I start taking you seriously and at the same time as I move my family to Paris.”[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]And Rich –[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]What makes you think that just because you’re capable enough to find out someone private email address – you have the right to.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]JH is on holiday, recovering from surgery.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma]And people wonder why Carnival has a negative view of cc.[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

looks like rich and now john has it wrong again. The topic was about a charge for additional entrees.

yet i'm sure that post now has people having a field day further trashing cruise critic over there. and some still think there's no agenda.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
[quote name='kingcole']Judging by the size of many Americans' charging for extra dishes would not only make sense financially, it could be a great healthy move too[/QUOTE]

From what's shown of brits on the "tele" and the British we've ran into during our cruises, this applies to the British too!

I see someone came in and cleaned up the thread, luckily they didn't delete the whole thing..

"Quote: You mean to tell me you never drink, gamble, buy photos, go to the spa, buy items from the shops, take a ship tour, go to a speciality restaurant, play bingo, go to a wine tasting, give a tip, etc. That's far from all inclusive.

cawagner: "Not always, but you dont have to do any of the above and still have a great time and only having paid your cruise fare."

You can still have a great cruise if you only eat one entree!:rolleyes:

[quote name='nycruise']I see someone came in and cleaned up the thread, luckily they didn't delete the whole thing..

"Quote: You mean to tell me you never drink, gamble, buy photos, go to the spa, buy items from the shops, take a ship tour, go to a speciality restaurant, play bingo, go to a wine tasting, give a tip, etc. That's far from all inclusive.

cawagner: "Not always, but you dont have to do any of the above and still have a great time and only having paid your cruise fare."

You can still have a great cruise if you only eat one entree!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Nope...I want my two lobsters!

Archived