wi fi access onboard

kirasmom

internet access is generally the same price whether from their shipboard cafe or wireless/wifi where you can get a signal.

Be prepared for AOL speed dialup from "you got mail" era.

do they sell wi fi access on the ship? if yes how much is it?

If you want to stay in touch with family and friend back home, Carnival . com is free to use. I post on the Currently On Board Forum to my family and friends.

Everyone has to be registered to post on the site, but it costs nothing. It is public though, so people can see what is written.

Melanie

Like others have said, it tends to be slow, but the thing to remember is the connection is being shared by everyone aboard that is trying to use it at the same time, so while it may feel painfully slow, worse than dial up at 4 pm in the afternoon, it may be closer to conventional broadband speed at 4 am in the morning.

Another idea is to just use Internet Cafes in the ports of call. It is a lot cheaper than using the ship's Internet.

To expand on that good idea...asked or room steward or another someone else who works on board to see where they go to get online. A lot of places are free. Starbucks (I never go to one in the States) do not have computers there, so a laptop is required.

Melanie

I get outside the port area and ask someone local. Internet cafes come and go. Cozumel the 2 or 3 I knew of closed up and had to find a new one. I dont even ask for free, just ask if they can point me to the closest one. They run at most $6 an hour, and Im willing to pay that and give them my business so they can stay in business.

I know of one downtown for $1 an hour in Cozumel, but Id rather pay $5 to one across the street from the port, than pay $7 each way for a taxi to save paying the $5 or get to one that is free.

Yea for internet cafes in ports. I now bought myself a tablet. It runs only from wifi. Ports like Progresso, they do not yet have wifi, so you have to use one of their computers in the internet cafe unless you have a device that can be connected with a cord to their service. Cozumel and Progresso internet cafes both have desks with just cords if you have your own device. Progresso luckily is only $1 an hour at their cafe. (though the one in Cuzumel you can also use wifi there at the current one open across from the port Carnival usually pulls up to.)

Archived