molly5673

On some ships Skype is specifically disabled. The service is bandwidth intensive and it would take only a handful of Skype uses to soak up everything.

It’s not like WiFi in an airport or Starbucks. At sea a ship has only a maritime satellite connection. I’ve had a much faster connections while transatlantic than in the Caribbean. I attribute this to a higher concentration of ships there and almost everyone on board one has at least one wireless device.

It is advisable to turn OFF data transfer services on your cell phone. The Maritime Communication Platform is expensive and you won’t find this out until the charges appear on your cell phone bill.

Skype-to-Skype calls via the ship's WiFi (ship to the states) worked fine on my iPhone last week cruising on the Celebrity Millennium.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1513395

What ship are you planning on cruising? If you are planning on getting off in the port, just use Skype at the nearest WiFi hot spot.

Another VOiP app is Viber, that works well on land-based WiFi.

http://www.viber.com/

Skype-to-Skype calls via the ship's WiFi (ship to the states) worked fine on my iPhone last week cruising on the Celebrity Millennium...

I'm happy for you that it worked out, but somebody who doesn't bother to check out the link that you provided might think it will be OK. A Skype connection will vary with 1) whether the ship blocks it or not, 2) the position of the ship, and 3) number of people using broadband at any given time.

Archived