Paradise beach or Chankanaab park?

adisneygirl

I have read great reviews about both. If you have done both, which has the better experience. I know we won't be able to do everything we want but I want to have a great first experience in Cozumel. DH will be too bored if it is just laying on a beach with nothing else to do. So the water toys sounded fun at Paradise, but the snorkelig sounds fun at Chankanaab. Any advise? Thanks!!

Chankanaab was the most amazing day to us when we were there in September. We loved it so much we are planning to go back next year.

Here is my review and at the bottom of the review, you will find a link for a lot of pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

There is a lot to do there. We didn't stay in our seat for long. There is a calm little cove on the beach there. There is a beautiful huge lagoon there that you can walk around and see all the huge iguanas walking around. There is the huge/long beach with the big area for snorkeling. You can "dive/scuba" for the day or just snorkel around all the coral with TONS of fish (my link has some awesome videos as well of just how many fish there were). You can swim out a ways and there are several statues located in the area to see. There is a pool there to swim in. Awesome drinks and places to eat. There is an area (when you first come in) that is a self guided tour through what is suppose to be a rainforest and it takes you by a lot of carved statues and huts and to see a replica of the ruins. Then if you feel like doing something else different, you can swim with the dolphins, swim with the manatees, watch the sea lion shows. So much to do here. I can't imagine being bored or sitting still for long. I can't wait to go back and explore more because I feel that we didn't get to do everything the first time around and want to see more. :D

We have been to Cozumel 10 times and Chank is the only place that we have been to twice. PB is nice with good service, food and drink. The beach is sandy and the snorkeling isn't very good. If snorkeling is on the agenda, Chank is the place to go. Plenty to see and do and lots of fish. Plus the service and food is also very good.

I also might add that when sitting on the beach, they will have people going up and down the beach asking if you wants drinks or food...they will let you run a tab until you are done, which makes it really nice! (The drinks were yummy and soda was COLD) :)

Awesome, thanks. DH has agreed to go where I choose, and it looks like Chankanaab will be the place. I am so excited to go. I can't wait to eat some yummy food too.

Awesome. You'll have a good time. Report back and let us know how things went.

One more question. Does anyone know if there is a place to get a massage at Chankanaab? I have read that some of the other beaches do. Thanks again for all the info.

I don't recall seeing anyone doing massages there (not to say that they don't), but I didn't notice any if so. Some how I doubt they would because this is a national park instead of privately owned AI or a local beach.

Ok, I found a website for Cozumel parks. It mentioned a spa where you could get a massage but did not mention if it was in Chankanaab or one of the other parks listed, and it was more expensive than the private beach clubs. Oh well, I might not have time for one anyway if I am having a lot of fun at the park.

I will report back after our trip. We have 2 more months to wait though.

Thanks for the review and pics! I'll be there feb 7 with my 5 kids (ages 4-12) and thus will be their first snorkeling experience. Looks great! My 12-yr-old is trying to talk me into the dolphin encounter...we'll see what happens. :) Do you recommend we book in advance or can we just show up? Do they limit the number of visitors?

Thanks!

Scott

If you are considering doing the swim with the dolphins, it's best to book in advance. (They give you a discount depending on how far in advance you book...which could save you $$). Also, if you book one of the dolphin, manatee and so on swims, it gives you free admission to Chankanaab park. Otherwise, it will cost $21 just to get into the park. (There is a coupon online for $2 off). But if you think you will do a "swim" I would highly recommend it because of it including the admission. Also, it's best to book ahead of time for the swims because it will assure you a spot. Otherwise, they may not have room for you if you just show up. It's a popular thing to do so...just saying.

As for just doing the park (Chankanaab), you can simply grab a cab and show up to get in (after paying admission). :)

• 1 year later...

Hi, does anyone know how to book the dolphin/manatee encounters at the Chankanaab park?! I went to their website, and I don't see any booking links, and I don't want to book thru the cruise line either, please advice.... thank you! :)

May I ask how you booked your excursion...through who and how much per person?

Thank you,

Donna

Hi, does anyone know how to book the dolphin/manatee encounters at the Chankanaab park?! I went to their website, and I don't see any booking links, and I don't want to book thru the cruise line either, please advice.... thank you! :)

You go to dolphin discovery and the booking is on the side of the front page asking what location, what swim you want, what date, how many adults, how many children, and what time. :) They also have a live chat that can book for you or you can even call them to book.

Archived