Seattle-Vancouver on the Amtrak Cascade

themerle

its very easy to do. You can take the lt rail to amtrak station in Seattle. Once in Vancouver its a cheap cab ride to dock. No border delays and its very very scenic. Check with Amtrak as for next yr there is talk of adding a mid day departure.

We're thinking of flying into Seattle and taking the Amtrak Casades train to Vancouver to start our cruise. I'd like to hear your experience.

It is a great experience. We did it in 2010 and will be doing it again this year. It is very scenic and relaxing.

While hardly veterans, we did use the train twice in 2011 and found it to be an excellent service. Having driven to and from Seattle hundreds of times I found the scenery all new to me. You may care to consider upgrading to Business Class, the seats are 2 + 1 across compared to 2 + 2 in coach, you get priority embarkation and disembarkation as well as advanced seat selection and a discount voucher for a meal. The disadvantage is the early departure time from Seattle.

. . . You may care to consider upgrading to Business Class, the seats are 2 + 1 across compared to 2 + 2 in coach, you get priority embarkation and disembarkation as well as advanced seat selection and a discount voucher for a meal. . . .
Putterdude, how did you get advanced seat selection? When we took the train from Vancouver last May, the seats were assigned by the conductor in order of your arrival at the terminal.

We liked the train so much that we plan to do it again following our cruise (and stay in Vancouver) again this May.

While hardly veterans, we did use the train twice in 2011 and found it to be an excellent service. Having driven to and from Seattle hundreds of times I found the scenery all new to me. You may care to consider upgrading to Business Class, the seats are 2 + 1 across compared to 2 + 2 in coach, you get priority embarkation and disembarkation as well as advanced seat selection and a discount voucher for a meal. The disadvantage is the early departure time from Seattle.

How about the reverse. Vancouver to Seattle. We are staying in Seattle a couple of days post cruise. Right now we have Princess Transfers but not sure if they just drop you at the airport or will take you to your hote.

We are staying at the Homewood Suites, Sealttle/Convention Center on Pike. I did sent an email to Quick Coach and they did advise they had shuttles from Vancouver to Seattle Hotels but no schedule until March, 2012.

Would you cancel the Princess Tranfers and go with the train or Quick Coach.

Please, anyone feel free to answer. Thank you.:)

Putterdude, how did you get advanced seat selection? When we took the train from Vancouver last May, the seats were assigned by the conductor in order of your arrival at the terminal.

We liked the train so much that we plan to do it again following our cruise (and stay in Vancouver) again this May.

Sorry, bad choice of words, you are correct you do get to choose your seat...but only once you get to the station.

How about the reverse. Vancouver to Seattle. We are staying in Seattle a couple of days post cruise. Right now we have Princess Transfers but not sure if they just drop you at the airport or will take you to your hote.

We are staying at the Homewood Suites, Sealttle/Convention Center on Pike. I did sent an email to Quick Coach and they did advise they had shuttles from Vancouver to Seattle Hotels but no schedule until March, 2012.

Would you cancel the Princess Tranfers and go with the train or Quick Coach.

Please, anyone feel free to answer. Thank you.:)

For sure I would drop the transfer and do the train. If the hotel does not have a shuttle you should be about a $10 cab fare to the hotel from the King Street Amtrak station. With a bus it is all highway/freeway travel whereas the train hugs the coastline for about 1/3 of the trip, goes thru farmland and is quite scenic. The issue for you will be that the southbound departures are at 0640 and 1745, you obviously won't make the morning train and will have to spend the morning and afternoon in Vancouver....which is very nice, but I am prejudiced.

Quick Shuttle also does a great job and during the cruise season has express buses on certain days directly from Canada Place.

For sure I would drop the transfer and do the train. If the hotel does not have a shuttle you should be about a $10 cab fare to the hotel from the King Street Amtrak station. With a bus it is all highway/freeway travel whereas the train hugs the coastline for about 1/3 of the trip, goes thru farmland and is quite scenic. The issue for you will be that the southbound departures are at 0640 and 1745, you obviously won't make the morning train and will have to spend the morning and afternoon in Vancouver....which is very nice, but I am prejudiced.

Quick Shuttle also does a great job and during the cruise season has express buses on certain days directly from Canada Place.

Thanks Putterdue, I did check the times. There is a bus at 11:30am. No Business Class tho:D We are spending 3 days pre-cruise in Vancouver and so looking forward to that. Should help with the jet lag too.:eek: So I will see what Quick Shuttle has to say about where they would drop us off In Seattle.

check Amtrak.com as the rumor is that they are trying to start a mid day train later this yr.

Thanks, that would be great if it would happen.

I will be back for more questions to be sure.

Is CBSA going to throw another temper tantrum like they did for the second train?

If it does come to fruition I could see it as an excuse to levy a clearance fee on passengers much like the one that the US is about to impose upon Canadians entering the US by any means except by road. I believe the fee is something in the order of $5.50 pp. It would seem that governments are more and more moving to a user pay model.

the new procedure is to have US Customs at the train station thereby eliminating the need for customs officers to board the train at Blaine. it should speed things up however the train never really stopped except for a few minutes. The dispute with fees apparently has been resolved.

Is CBSA going to throw another temper tantrum like they did for the second train?

While they may throw a temper tantrum, you won't see it in the ticket price; unlike flights to the united states, where there is an international air tax, immigration inspection fee and agriculture inspection fee.

the new procedure is to have US Customs at the train station thereby eliminating the need for customs officers to board the train at Blaine. it should speed things up however the train never really stopped except for a few minutes. The dispute with fees apparently has been resolved.

Only for the first two trains; if there is a 3rd as you have suggested, be ready for some user fees being added to the fare, likely on the other two trains as well.

Archived