What do you do to pass the time / meet people

capricorn_solo

Informal poll: as a solo cruiser, what things do you do on the cruise to enjoy your solo trip and meet people if you are so inclined.

My favorite activities are the trivia and other types of social / sporting games like golf contests, poker tournaments etc... Anything where a solo can show up and take part either individually or as part of a team. On my last solo cruise I hooked up with people who always showed up for trivia and we ended up forming a team for the whole cruise.

May also check out the nightclub to see what's happening.

Also hit the gym at least once a day to work off the food, and take a morning walk around the promenade deck for 30 to 60 minutes.

For dinner I choose anytime dining and ask to be placed at a large table with others. (Lunch too, and maybe even breakfast if I have time).

I don't really care for the shore excursions, prefer to go wandering for a couple of hours and then get back on the ship while it's still fairly quiet.

Please share what you like to do so that I can steal your good ideas!!!:D

Edited by capricorn_solo

First of all, for me, I never take anytime dining. I've found that a lot of the time, you sit eating alone. For meeting people, traditional dining is the best because that way you'll start cruising with some familiar faces.

Trivia games are a great way to meet people. Just make sure to walk up and ask if you can join their group. Even the evening trivia games are a lot of fun.

If there are guest lecturers, go to those. It's another way to find like-minded people. If classes are offered try those. I like art classes or wine tastings and found it's a nice way to meet others.

I met people on the roll call and we had a meet and greet at sailaway, we also did a cabin crawl, bar crawl, mini golf and slot pull.

Breakfast I did the MDR and always sat at a large table and for dinner I had a set time with 6 other table mates.

Would visit the same 1 or 2 to bars before and after dinner and would get to know other cruisers as well.

I breakfast in the MDR at a large table most mornings. I also lunch there on the days that it is open. If I eat at the buffet, I like to start conversations with those in line with me. I look for every opportunity to start conversations whether it be in a line-up or with others sitting at an adjoining table or sitting next to me in the theatre whilst waiting for the performance to start. There are multitudes of ways to meet people. One need only be creative.

I met great people through the roll call, trivia games, my table mates (other solos at our late dining table) and the one time I did the MDR for lunch. I also had a few good afternoons simply chatting with the people sitting near me at the pool (I am happy to say that I hardly had time to read my books). People are very friendly on a cruise whereas they might not be at home.

Informal poll: as a solo cruiser, what things do you do on the cruise to enjoy your solo trip and meet people if you are so inclined.

I'm not interested in meeting anyone, so that takes care of that. :-)

I do "freestyle" dining and always request a table by myself. Sometimes I enjoy people-watching in the dining room and overhearing couple's conversations. Makes me glad I'm traveling alone!!! :-)

I usually spend a fair amount of time tracking the navigation of the ship and staring out the windows in the forward lounge (which means the ship I'm on better have one!)

I also enjoy doing laps on the promenade deck (which also means the ship better have one!).

I'll do shore excursions if something looks really interesting...I'm big on ruins and archaeological sites. If there is more than one van or bus on the tour, I'll hold back at the end of the line. That way there's an excellent chance I'll get a seat all to myself. :-)

I also spend time with my netbook computer composing offline email messages to my family and sorting through photos.

This is my idea of what to do on a solo cruise...but it might not be anyone else's. :-)

My philosophy as a single adult for most of my life has been to not let being solo limit my activity in any way, and I used that philosophy while cruising. I simply just "went out there" and did what I want to do, when I want to do it. I have been a very avid book reader at times, and on cruises I always make sure I have a good long book or two with me. During many a "at sea" afternoon there is nothing more delightful than to find the quietest corner of the sun deck I can find and then take sun and bury myself in a good book. Hours can race by quickly in blissful solitude!

That said, yes I love to meet people and have social interaction. I'm a sociable person. At the beginning of one cruise, before the ship had even left port I had stowed my luggage in my room and immediately headed for the most busy, most visible bar I could find, which I believe was in the main atrium area by the center stairs. I started to chat with a woman next to me, and quickly I found out that she was from the same home state as me, though not born there as I was. This immediately gave us fodder for chat. I also quickly found out she was traveling with her husband, so it's not like I had plans of hanging out with her later.

I try to eat in the MDR always for dinner, and I don't care who my table-mates are, as long as they are friendly. I have also met some delightful people while eating in the MDR for lunch - that's a wild card because you get someone new every time. They are sometimes fascinated that someone would cruise solo.

Shore excursions: ALWAYS! The tagline is so very true: Get out there! I have gone on two sea kayak excursions where the partner paired with me was a woman - actually the only two I've been on. One was a younger woman in her early twenties, and another was a married woman in her 30s (whose husband was out golfing that day). Both were women fun to be kayaking with.

As I get older (late 40s now) I do sort of long for a cruise with "someone" so we'll see what the future holds.

I just returned from my 1st solo cruise and I went into it with the intention of meeting new people whenever possible.

Upon embarkment, I went to the MDR & inquired about my Early Seating Dining assignment. I asked the Maitre D to ensure that I was seated at a large table with many fellow diners (solo if possible). It worked out perfectly! I was seated with 5 other solos & a married couple! Out of the 5 nights on the cruise, almost every night all of us showed up for dinner. I loved this arrangement!

I went to an Afternoon Tea & asked an older couple if I could sit with them. Wonderful conversation!

I went to lots of the shows, trivia, bingo, art auctions, etc. & it was so easy to slide in next to people since it was only me. I tried to start conversations whenever appropriate. Almost everyone I spoke to was very responsive.

I asked people if they would mind using my camera to take my picture? This was most often a conversation starter.

I had a wonderful first solo experience & enjoyed just enough alone time with a great mixture of conversation with fellow passengers. I will not hesitate to book another solo cruise!! :D

~Helen~

I always greet the crew. They work long and odd hours in order to enhance my cruising experience, so the least I could do to acknowledge and appreciate their hard work and efforts is to give them a friendly greeting.

I have had many wonderful conversations with other passengers and the tour guides during excursions. My recent cruise to Hawaii was particularly memorable because I lived there for four years when I was on active duty.

I made good use of the gym and swimming pool during sea days to mitigate the increased caloric intake. During shore days, I walked a lot.

On my first two cruises (to Mexico), I spent a lot of time at the aft pool area. Although I have had few conversations with other passengers, much of the time was spent in a zen-like state of peacefulness and contemplation.

On my most recent cruise (to Hawaii), I spent my sea days hanging out at the Lido pool area instead of the aft pool area. Swimming at the Lido pool, relaxing in the hot tub, grabbing some food from the nearby taco bar, and sitting at one of the tables or lounge chairs afforded ample opportunities to meet other passengers. On many occasions, my table mates and I have met at the Lido pool area and hung out together.

Speaking of table mates, I always requested late fixed seating. In my experience, it was not as busy as the early seating, and I prefer fixed seating because I would rather share my dinner moments with the same passengers and dining stewards. I always requested a table of eight. My recent cruise was interesting in that my table mates were also solos.

I usually do not participate in ship-board activities, although they are great ways to meet other passengers. I have done the On the Deck for the Cure 5k walk, and it was really neat to meet passengers who were breast cancer survivors.

That is typically what I did to make the most out of my cruise. I wish you the best of luck in meeting other passengers. Before you know it, you may even be exchanging phone numbers, e-mails, and mailing addresses and planning future cruises together.

I just came back from a 10 night cruise over the Christmas/New Year holidays. I really lucked out with anytime dining on HAL. I did 5 dinners in the MDR and 4 afternoon teas. In all my dinners in the MDR I was seated with others and really enjoyed my tablemates. Most of these dinners lasted 2 1/2 hours but the time seemed to fly by. I will definately do anytime dining again. I also had fun at the teas visiting with other cruisers.

Faith

What I liked best about cruising solo is pleasing myself completely as to what I did and when. I met a number of other single ladies travelling in pairs and there often seemed to be undue compromise with who did what and when. Even noticed that with couples. I could talk with whomever I pleased, go to bed, get up whenever, come back from shore excursions early, get as much peace and quiet as I needed. Promenade deck was my favourite for sitting in the shade, dozing, watching the sea and the passersby and having lovely conversations with anyone that happened by. Fixed dining was a great way of meeting up with the same people each night to share experiences and sometimes meet up during the day. Easy to go to shows alone and strike up conversations. People seem to be much friendlier when cruising and on holiday. Can't wait to do it all again. The single supplement is well worth the peace of mind in my book

• 3 weeks later...

I'll read, hit the gym, watch movies, take part in activities that interest me and the same things I do on land. I enjoy eating by myself as well as eating with other people. I sail NCL, so "freestyle" dining is helpful when it comes to that.

I don't look to meet people, but that's an inherent part of cruising and I like it. There are a lot of interesting people out there and it's nice to have a chance to meet and befriend some of them.

• 4 weeks later...

I traveled with friends a couple of years ago but they went to bed really early so it was almost as if I was solo. I had no trouble meeting people and finding others to hang out with. I'd just start talking to the people around me. I was in line for the "repeat passenger" program (the only member of my group that was one) and an older lady asked if I was alone, when I said yes, she was like, come join us. So as longer as you're open and pleasant I can't image cruising solo to be a problem.

I also want to say thanks for all this advice, I have a solo cruise coming up in October.

My friend, who I met on a cruise, and we always still travel "solo" in our own cabins. We have an unspoken understanding that this does not mean we're joined at the hips on excursions, dinner, etc. We meet up at least once a day either way and we both enjoy each other's company, but give space that is so needed when we cruise to do our own thing. Does that make sense? It does to us.

Edited by yellowbird23

My friend, who I met on a cruise, and we always still travel "solo" in our own cabins. We have an unspoken understanding that this does not mean we're joined at the hips on excursions, dinner, etc. We meet up at least once a day either way and we both enjoy each other's company, but give space that is so needed when we cruise to do our own thing. Does that make sense? It does to us.

What you said makes perfect sense. I took my first official cruise solo in December 2011. I decided that since I liked doing my own thing , I might as well do it all by myself. But on that cruise I met two other solo travelers and we had a blast together. Others that met us thought we were life long friends. We informed them that we all had just met on board and of course it was suggested that we should travel together. Which was met with a quick NO as we all loved hanging with each other but we still like traveling solo. We will be back together on Oasis 12/2012 but in our own cabins.. So I completely understand you.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am going on a cruise in October and it is going to be my first as a solo traveler. I am looking forward to it! Not worried at all. I look forward to the freedom to go anywhere as I please and not having to think of anyone but myself for a change. I plan on doing the traditional dining, not sure if it is 530 or 630. I don't care if I eat alone or with a table full of people. As for activities, if it is of interest, I'll do it. Matters not if there are a lot of couples about. What matters most to me is just being able to get away, relax and enjoy the ship.

I've only been on one solo so far, but I loved having the cabin to myself. I am comfortable on my own and didn't really spend much time with others. I would sometimes ask couples if they wanted me to take their picture with their camera, and then they would take one for me. Worked out well. I had Any Time Dining and enjoyed a table to myself each night. It seemed like I had much faster service, I hardly ever had time to read my Nook. I spent my days out on deck, watching the water and reading. There is no better feeling than being out there surrounded by all that water and just relaxing. Every day worries disappear, at least until you have to get off the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

I travelled solo last year for my first cruise ever. I "met" people on the roll call and we "talked" on there for almost a year before the cruise. I felt like they were friends before we even cruised. We did our own thing sometimes and met for dinners sometimes. Two of us went together on an excursion which was great. Other excursions I went by myself and enjoyed them too. I also loved to hear about other people's excursions.

I did enjoy having the room to myself and I often had the tv on the channel that tells where we were instead of shows. I had anytime dining and I was never alone unless I went to the buffet on purpose. If I wasn't with others from the roll call, I let them put me with others. Three times I ended up eating with the same gentleman which was coincidence, but also was a conversation starter.

I am going on my second solo cruise next year and 4 of those same people and I arranged to go at the same time, so I will be solo when I want to be and not when I don't. Perfect!

• 4 weeks later...

I LOVE the flexibility of being alone, people watching, doing what I want, etc. I catch up on all the books I have on my Kindle.

I find that the better the dining experience on the cruise, the more I come out of my shell. I have had poor dining experiences on RCCL and better ones on CCL so my last cruise felt more social. I don't mind eating in the MDR by myself in the morning but admittedly, for dinner it's awkward so I will be requesting a large table on RCCL so I blend in a little more.

I do enjoy the anonymity of cruising but by mid-cruise, people seem to notice the solo cruisers LOL. I've had people come up to me and ask me if I was alone and how I like it LOL. They are always shocked when I say "it's my Xth solo cruise! I love it!" I thin it just depends on what you like.