Question for those who've cruised to Jamaica

crazy1here

Ok, one of the main criticism Ive noticed while reading threads about jamaica is how pushy the vendors are. I cant speak from experience, but I was wondering is this not common in most ports.... or is jamaica somewhat more than other ports?

Just asking out of curiousity....Im completely ignorant to this and I'll admit it.

Enlighten me on how jamaica differs from the other ports with regards to vendors please?

Yes, the vendors are pushy in most ports, but I think (and this is just my opinion from experience) is that in Jamaica, they are pushing to sell you drugs and it seems a little more scarier. I haven't been back since several bad experiences back in the 80's regarding this, but we are planning a cruise next year that happens to include Jamaica (not my choice of ports, but the other 3 ports are ones that I "must do" again). :)

Yes, the vendors are pushy in most ports, but I think (and this is just my opinion from experience) is that in Jamaica, they are pushing to sell you drugs and it seems a little more scarier. I haven't been back since several bad experiences back in the 80's regarding this, but we are planning a cruise next year that happens to include Jamaica (not my choice of ports, but the other 3 ports are ones that I "must do" again). :)

You know whats odd with this lol. Ive lived here all my life and never once offered drugs lol.... well besides weed that is.

Im starting to feel neglected now, am I not good enough to be offered drugs tooo...even if Im gonna say no? :(

bastards!

You know whats odd with this lol. Ive lived here all my life and never once offered drugs lol.... well besides weed that is.

Im starting to feel neglected now, am I not good enough to be offered drugs tooo...even if Im gonna say no? :(

bastards!

Weed is drugs.

Weed is...weed lol... it has its pharmaceutical purposes as well :P

I reserve drugs drugs for the more hardcore, coke, xtasy, etc etc.

Weed is so mild when compared to those.

Agreed, but it is still considered a drug and is illegal here (other than pharmaceutical purposes in certain states now here).

In the other ports, I've never been approached by anyone trying to get you to buy weed, which makes people a little more uncomfortable and I personally think it goes a little above an beyond being just a "pushy" vendor that you can say no to and walk away.

I've had people surround me, pull at me, follow me and this is not only aggravating, but intimidating. I think that's the problem. You will find multiple people on here that feels unsafe and uncomfortable while in Jamaica because of this extra pushiness.

If you want to read what happen to me (back in the late 80's), you can go here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31735749&postcount=27

Actually, I just checked and seen that you were the one that replied to me on that thread.

My problem is that it was my first time to Jamaica and it did not give me a good impression of the place. They always say that first impressions will make or break the deal...and it definitely made me never want to go back again.

I am willing to give it another try (not by choice but because the cruise we will be taking next year goes to Jamaica) and see if I get a better feeling this time around. :)

(I'm so negative about weed due to my own personal life...it ruined an 18 year marriage because of my husbands dependency on weed, took our money, stayed away from home because he didn't want the children to know, he would come down off a high and become really mean...and so on. I've seen what it can do to people and lived my life dealing with it for many years. It still continues to devastate my 3 children who are lucky to ever see their dad maybe 2-3 times a year and when they do, he's so high he don't even remember half of anything that goes on. Christmas just came and went...no calls. He don't remember birthdays, he don't remember anything. He can not hold down a conversation w/o completely forgetting what he was talking about. Yea, I have my own personal reasons for hating weed...and the list goes on. Being around it makes me uncomfortable). I know probably too much info, but it's kinda something in my life that makes or breaks a deal if you know what I mean. :)

Yes, the vendors on Jamaica do tend to be pushier than most other islands.

We've been there twice, and both times have engaged a private driver (found here). I think the private drivers can take you to some more non-touristy places. The pushiest vendors were at Dunns River Falls. Just a polite "no, thank-you" is all we've ever needed.

Legal drugs like alcohol and partially legal drugs like marijuana can still have devastating effects on lives. Both are the scourge of my family.

Indeed, I dont dispute that, I just however reserve the term "drugs" for the harder stuff. Aspirin is a drug too I know lol, but I guess Im odd and only really think of the harder drugs when I hear the term drugs :s

Yes, the vendors on Jamaica do tend to be pushier than most other islands.

We've been there twice, and both times have engaged a private driver (found here). I think the private drivers can take you to some more non-touristy places. The pushiest vendors were at Dunns River Falls. Just a polite "no, thank-you" is all we've ever needed.

I guess this is something I wont see from em. After the approach me and realise Im jamaican they tend to stop and leave me alone lol.

We have an upcoming Jamaica cruise also and I was wondering if the vendors are any more pushy than the ones in Belize. When you leave the port area in Belize to walk the streets the vendors are very pushy but I have never felt threatened so I would like some feedback from someone who has walked the streets outside the port area in both places.

I have heard that people trying to sell weed in Jamaica is not nearly as frequent as it was 20 or 30 years ago and that is quite believable because weed sales and use were also much more out in the open in the USA back during the "drug culture days" of the 60s and 70s.

We have an upcoming Jamaica cruise also and I was wondering if the vendors are any more pushy than the ones in Belize. When you leave the port area in Belize to walk the streets the vendors are very pushy but I have never felt threatened so I would like some feedback from someone who has walked the streets outside the port area in both places.

I have heard that people trying to sell weed in Jamaica is not nearly as frequent as it was 20 or 30 years ago and that is quite believable because weed sales and use were also much more out in the open in the USA back during the "drug culture days" of the 60s and 70s.

We have been outside of the port area in Belize(twice) and the three port areas in Jamaica. Its only a problem(for the most part) for people who don't get out much. I would say Jamaica is no different than Belize, cozumel, or your ships spa:D. A couple weeks ago we just walked outside the port area in Falmouth, securied transportation, and walked two blocks to a parking lot by a church to get to the drivers van and while there were vendors out only one person asked my wife about hair braids. We went to mobay and walked around the streets downtown and only were asked once or twice to come into my store.

Ahhh gotcha @mitsu I guess I understand whacha mean. Sucks to hear tho :(. Im sure this time around jamaica will be way more fun tho, I gurantee it! :)

Counting on it crazy :D

Good to hear. What I don't understand is it's not like the cruisers can buy the weed. They are getting back on the ship and will be searched upon arrival. Yes, some people attempt to bring it back on board, then they get busted some time along the way and go to jail. It's in the headlines all the time. People on here post it all the time about an experience while on their cruise and other passengers. So, I'm still confused as to why they try to push cruisers into buying the drugs when they can't take it on board with them and risk the chance. :confused:

Counting on it crazy :D

Good to hear. What I don't understand is it's not like the cruisers can buy the weed. They are getting back on the ship and will be searched upon arrival. Yes, some people attempt to bring it back on board, then they get busted some time along the way and go to jail. It's in the headlines all the time. People on here post it all the time about an experience while on their cruise and other passengers. So, I'm still confused as to why they try to push cruisers into buying the drugs when they can't take it on board with them and risk the chance. :confused:

To have it then and there me thinks....well the smarter people would do that at least :s

I will NEVER get off the ship again in Jamaica. By far this is the worst port I have ever been to. There were people hanging on the fence waiting for people to get off the ship. You couldn't walk 10 steps without being approached by multiple people. This is the BIGGEST sh@!hole in the Caribbean!

I will NEVER get off the ship again in Jamaica. By far this is the worst port I have ever been to. There were people hanging on the fence waiting for people to get off the ship. You couldn't walk 10 steps without being approached by multiple people. This is the BIGGEST sh@!hole in the Caribbean!

Wow, tell us how you really feel why dont ya?

When was this and what port?

Believe it or not, my worst vendor experience was at the port area in Costa Maya. We were making our way back to the ship, having finished our shopping, so were pretty much walking straight past the shops and not really looking in at them. A man at the entrance to one of the shops approached me and really wanted me to come inside and have a look around. I tried nicely to tell him "no, thank you", and explained that we needed to get on back to the ship now. As I walked away, I heard him tell the guy next to him that I was "....rich American...." in a rude tone of voice. Two things entered my mind just then. One - I really tried to be polite to him when I told him no and my feelings were a bit hurt that he felt the need to be rude behind my back. Two - I felt like going back and explain to him that I worked hard and saved up my money for almost 2 years to take my family on our first cruise. Rich status does indeed vary from one standard to another. But, he had no right to judge me when he had no idea of the circumstances. I, however, just kept walking and tried to just forget about it and let it be.

I (mother/daughter cruise) am on our way to Jamaica in 2 weeks. So, I am practicing my best smile and most polite tone of voice for when I need to say "No, thank you" to the vendors in hopes that they will not be offended. For I am not planning on buying much of anything at the ports. My money is primarily for the excursions. Besides, when I asked family what they wanted me to bring them, they all replied "ah....nothing." Really??? Cool.:cool:

We were in Samana DR and the vendors were awful!

I think a lot of the pushy-ness is a product of their poverty. When you have nothing to eat, you have nothing to lose.

Too bad we can't teach them that we react better to a softer touch!

Marsha

we were there a few weeks ago and never approached to buy drugs!

i dont find them any more aggressive then some of the other places i have been...my un-easy ordeal was with a taxi driver who wanted more money then what was agreed on:eek:just gave him a few extra bucks and hubby pushed me out of the taxi!

Archived