Tweens on cruises?

mmcruise

For our first cruise, I came to CC in a panic because DS was just north of 2 years old, and I was nervous about cruising. We had a blast - and way too much luggage, between diapers and swimmies and snacks and sippy cups, etc. We went again when he'd just turned 5, with less luggage, but he loved AO on RCCL, and had a blast at all the beaches we visited.

Fast forward, we are going on a 7 night cruise for the first time in over 4 years (with a bunch of shorter cruises and delightful other vacations in between), to finally check out a megaship, the Allure of the Seas!

I'm concerned that my near-tween may not be as easy to amuse this time - it only used to take a beach and a stack of plastic toys, and he thought the kids' club was amazing. Now it takes a bit more to amuse him, and he bores easily! He'll be in the 9-12 group at AO, which I understand can have privileges to sign themselves out, but there's no way I'm letting him sign himself out and wander around the ship alone.

Any tips/tricks from parents of 9-10 year olds (or former 9-10 year olds)? Thanks!

definitly take him to the first day get together so he can meet kids while they are forming clicks.better yet see if there are any kids his age on your roll call and have them meet as soon as the mandatory emergency talk is over. he can email them ahead of time too if the other parents are willing. Id he meets one good friend it can make a big difference. The kids club is used to kids that age and thier likes and dislikes. and that class ship is amazing.

My 11 year old daughter didn't find much to her liking at the kid's club. We did the check in the first day and went over the events that would be happening that week. She went to a couple things, but, she honestly found it far more fun to hang out with the adult members of our family. (We had a mini family reunion on our cruise) Now, her older sister by 2 years was having a total blast with her kid's club friends. She was hanging out with them from sun up until they closed up for the night. Plus, she kept in contact with them by e-mail for many months after we were home. I guess it just depends on the child and what they find enjoyable and fun. My two were total opposites on that trip.

• 2 years later...

I would definitely agree to taking him the first night, much easier to establish bonds from early on! We were on Brilliance of the Seas last year, and although it was an older boat our daughter had a blast. There are sure to be lots of activities: scavenger hunts, arcade games, pizza/ sundae making and movie nights to name a few. The staff are usually really good about getting the kids involved, and encouraging them to try new things. I would ask your cabin steward to bring the kids program "brochure" to your cabin the night before, usually there will be something on it that he will want to go to. That kept our daughter excited for a couple days, waiting for the next activities to come up!;)

My daughter's last non-teen cruise was when she was 8, and I didn't give her sign out privileges. I would agree to take kids to the orientation that's held the first night so they can meet the other kids their age.

I'm guessing RC does as Princess does and have a packet of info in the cabin for the program when you first get there, including the day-by-day schedule. That will help seal the deal.

On our last cruise ( Jan on the Carnival Dream) my 10yo did not have sign in/out priv. She is smart and responsible but she is just a little thing. Anyways, she did enjoy the kids club but preferred to go later afternoon and evenings because that was when the kids she knew best would be there. I think that organized activities were her favorite and there were more of them during those times. She made a wonderful friend who she has been writing to since she got home.

If he does make some friends in AO who do have sign-out privledges, you may want to rethink not allowing him to have sign-out. If his friends don't have sign-out, then it shouldn't matter.

If you do grant him sign-out be certain to have hard-and-fast rules around it. When can he sign out. If he does sign-out, he has to be with at least two other friends and they have to stick together -- buddy system. And rules as to what does he do if he gets separated and/or if one or more of the buddies has to leave. Make certain he knows what places are out of bounds and what behaviors will not be tolerated. Make certain he knows what the consequences are if he breaks any of the rules.

Properly handled, giving him the responsibility of signing himself out could be a good learning experience for him.

The sign in/out is usually for scavenger hunts, where they sign out but have to sign back in. My DD also has grown up through cruise camps, and we let her sign in/out, but with restrictions. She could only sign out for Camp Activities, and return for us to sign her back out at the end.