Recent Eurodam vibration reports?

sugarcharlie

There have been some real concerns about excessive vibrations on the Eurodam that occurred even while the ship has been in port. They have only occurred on recent cruises so I was hoping that we could get some input from those who have just returned from the ship as to whether they experienced this. Those of us who have cruised all realize that there is normal movement and rocking that occurs with travel on the ocean, but the earlier posts raised some concern because of reports of a constant vibration regardless of the ocean conditions.

Looking forward to Eurodam cruiser reviews of this over the next few sailings. As someone who is booked on her in the next few months we would like to know whether these reports have any merit.

Thanks.

There have been some real concerns about excessive vibrations on the Eurodam that occurred even while the ship has been in port. They have only occurred on recent cruises so I was hoping that we could get some input from those who have just returned from the ship as to whether they experienced this. Those of us who have cruised all realize that there is normal movement and rocking that occurs with travel on the ocean, but the earlier posts raised some concern because of reports of a constant vibration regardless of the ocean conditions.

Looking forward to Eurodam cruiser reviews of this over the next few sailings. As someone who is booked on her in the next few months we would like to know whether these reports have any merit.

Thanks.

Just got off the ship today, 12/31/11. There were definite vibration issues, depending on your location in the ship. In the casual dining room, you could see items shaking on some of the tables. In one of the forward lounges, a ceiling fixture was vibrating audibly. While I don't think it's a safety issue, at times it felt like riding a ferry. My guess is the cruise line took it up with the shipyard who told them it was within design specs, and Holland America decided not to sue. Probably the wrong decision.

Just got off the ship today, 12/31/11. There were definite vibration issues, depending on your location in the ship. In the casual dining room, you could see items shaking on some of the tables. In one of the forward lounges, a ceiling fixture was vibrating audibly. While I don't think it's a safety issue, at times it felt like riding a ferry. My guess is the cruise line took it up with the shipyard who told them it was within design specs, and Holland America decided not to sue. Probably the wrong decision.

What a crazy guess. In docking or undocking the ship, you will often feel the thrusters cause vibrations. No biggie.

But reports of the vibration are only from recent cruisers. I don't know how many cruises you have been on but ongoing serious vibration is not normal. Taking it up with the shipyard after the Eurodam has been sailing for several years makes no sense to me.

We were on the Eurodam this last September. Until I read this thread I had forgot about the vibration issue. I did see it, but it was not bad at all, except at one port (cannot remember which one). We were in the Lido and the dishes were dancing all over the table, we had never seen that before, and that one time was the only time it was a VERY noticeable vibration (for me anyway).

Just back from Nieuw Amsterdam. Kids complained that the cabin was unbearable from the vibration and that was when we were docked. They were in cabin 1101. We were in 7118 and could not have our pillows near the headboard or my head would vibrate like crazy when we were at sea. It was not the same vibration you would feel being at the rear of the ship. It was something else. I am still dizzy and we got off the ship on Monday. Probably one of the worst rides in years.

Returned from the Eurodam mid-December.

We've been on all four of Holland's Vista class ships, plus a couple of Carnival Spirit class cruises. (They're fairly similar). We never experienced vibration issues on them. The Eurodam is a larger (mainly higher) version.

We noticed far more vibration on the Eurodam compared to the others, although not in port. We had a very high, far forward stateroom nowhere near the engines. We had quite a headwind and choppy seas and experienced virbrations that seem to come from the hull as it moved through the water. I believe an earlier post used the term "ferry-like". I think this was a great way to explain the feeling. Elsewhere we noticed very localized and isolated vibrations which seemed to be more mechanical in nature.

During a Q&A session with the captain, a passenger who identified himself as a experienced cruiser, asked about vibrations which he indicated were worse than others in his opinion. The captain really didn't address it head-on, but indicated that all ships vibrate somewhat and that the vibrations varied based on which engines were running at various times. Sort of a non-answer. For the record, this was cruise number fifty-five for us.

We returned from the Christmas cruise on 12/31/11, and definitely noticed the vibrations throughout the sailing. We were mid-ship, in a verandah suite on Deck 5. The first 2 or 3 nights, the vibration was most noticeable in bed, and I had a very hard time falling asleep because the bed shook so much. Thankfully, the vibrations improved the remaining nights.

We had not cruised in over 15 years, and realize ships' systems are much different these days. However, this vibration did not seem normal to us. The captain was evasive when someone asked about the vibrations at the Q&A, just as was mentioned in a previous post.

The vibrations were also noticeable while tied up in each port. As was mentioned in another comment, we also saw vases and glasses moving across the tables. My husband thinks that the vibration issue was caused by the diesel generators, and not the propulsion system.

We spoke with several experienced cruisers, who had cabins in various parts of the ship. Some thought the vibration problem was not right, while others thought it was no problem.

We hope that something can be done about the vibrations, and that Holland America will address it when time permits. For those of you going on the Eurodam soon, enjoy your cruise!

On the Eurodam the first half of October. We did NOT notice any vibration PROBLEMS on the cruise. The only noticeable vibrations were when the side thrusters were in use while maneuvering in ports, which is to be expected.

Archived